Be aware about parking

20 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

We've spoken to quite a few people, including someone who works in car insurance, they all recommend we don't go through the insurance company if we can help it, they all say the same, even though he's got protected no claims, his insurance will still go up.

When he comes to renew, one of the first questions they ask is, have you claimed in the last 5 years, you answer yes your premiums go up

He's only been driving 5 years, his first policy cost £2500, I think the second year was £1800, third £1400, fourth was £900, and his current one cost him £600

This incident will cost him around £2000, but having spoken to quite a few people they all say it's better not to claim if you can help it

He's just borrowed £1200 off me for his three year season ticket, he's booked an holiday with workmates, I've told him to get the holiday paid for and I will lend him the money for the car, I've forked out the £308 for the cost of the replacement window, and the rest he can pay me back £100 a month

I've always helped both my kids when they're short, I'll let him pay about 75% back of what he owes me, and I'll let him off with the rest, it's what dad's do

I could pay it off for him but I believe they have to show they can stand on their own two feet

And there's also the fact I'm currently out of work through ill health

Agree with that Hoots, my kids are in their 40's but it's still the same rule. That's what dad's do.

10 minutes ago, NYowl said:

Crikey Hootie I feel for you, having a terrible run of luck recently.

It sticks in my throat when a decent bloke bringing his kids up the right way gets turned over by scumbag with no social conscience. 

Thanks mate

It always seems to be one thing after another

I had a bit of good news yesterday

I had an interview with the Job Centre, the guy seemed pretty genuine. I told him I'm not fit for any type of work at the moment, but I am improving, he doesn't think I will be able to claim any benefits because the wife is still working, but we filled a lengthy form in and he sent it off. He said he wouldn't bother me while I was still recovering, and told me just to keep sending sick notes in until I felt fit enough to work. I told him I've had enough of working full time, I've had enough of heavy work, and when I'm fit I would be looking for something a couple of days a week. He said once I'm fit enough, he will transfer me over to something called Jobseekers, he said at that point he can send me off on trainning courses to get me qualified for what he called a plodding job. He said they have lots of people who get to my age that don't want to stop working, but want to do something less stressful, for just a couple of days a week, they call them plodders, and he didn't mean it with any malice.

So it's something to look forward to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

With regards to the insurance pal.

A bit of something to take in as a precaution.

Watched a show on TV years ago, about insurance tricks the actual insurance companies get up to.

They interviewed a man about his insurance claim for someone breaking into his car, that was "turned down".

The man said him and the guy the insurance company sent out "had a great time talking, and sorting things out over a coffee", in the mans house.

The insurance man was there for quite a while, very nice man he was.

Turned out he was like Columbo, as he got up to go, he says to the man...

Insurance man: That should be all sorted then, have you ever had any trouble before?

Man: Not really, just someone smashed my Quarter Light Window some years ago, but nothing to bother with.

Off went the insurance man..

Next the man heard his claim had been denied, for not disclosing the other bit.

Be careful.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

We've spoken to quite a few people, including someone who works in car insurance, they all recommend we don't go through the insurance company if we can help it, they all say the same, even though he's got protected no claims, his insurance will still go up.

When he comes to renew, one of the first questions they ask is, have you claimed in the last 5 years, you answer yes your premiums go up

He's only been driving 5 years, his first policy cost £2500, I think the second year was £1800, third £1400, fourth was £900, and his current one cost him £600

This incident will cost him around £2000, but having spoken to quite a few people they all say it's better not to claim if you can help it

He's just borrowed £1200 off me for his three year season ticket, he's booked an holiday with workmates, I've told him to get the holiday paid for and I will lend him the money for the car, I've forked out the £308 for the cost of the replacement window, and the rest he can pay me back £100 a month

I've always helped both my kids when they're short, I'll let him pay about 75% back of what he owes me, and I'll let him off with the rest, it's what dad's do

I could pay it off for him but I believe they have to show they can stand on their own two feet

I thought replacement windows didn't affect no claims when claiming through insurance, someone threw half a house brick through my passenger window whilst I was driving through Wellgate in Rotherham a few years ago and I took it straight to RAC Windscreen place and they did it for me, think I paid a small fee but nowhere near what glass cost.

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

You sound like a top dad mate.

Sorry you're having a tough time at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, bradowl said:

I thought replacement windows didn't affect no claims when claiming through insurance, someone threw half a house brick through my passenger window whilst I was driving through Wellgate in Rotherham a few years ago and I took it straight to RAC Windscreen place and they did it for me, think I paid a small fee but nowhere near what glass cost.

He needed it sorting as soon as possible, we feared the longer we left it the more chance of it getting stolen. We rang Autoglass who could do it this morning, but they weren't authorised to repair for my son's insurance company, I told him to book them in and I'd pay for it, I didn't want to risk the car getting stolen off the drive.

15 minutes ago, markg said:

You sound like a top dad mate.

Sorry you're having a tough time at the moment. 

Thanks mate

In all honesty, my two didn't really need parenting, neither have been any trouble at all, my son used to follow his older sister everywhere, she used to keep him in check

I'm just here to supply the funds when they get caught short

Guest mkowl

Be careful on the insurance, at each renewal you have to disclose material facts that an insurer could reliably be expected to know in order to determine the premium.

So if you had caused a crash but paid outside the insurance to the other party, then it is a fact because your driving ability could be questioned ongoing.

So appreciate this is different but if the car was broken into in a regular place you park that would be a material fact.

Insurers do wiggle out if they can, why for example you would always declare points on your licence 

23 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

We've spoken to Volkswagen about the touch screen unit that was stolen, they are convinced that the thief will not be able to use it without the code

I said surely there must be a way around the code or what's the point of stealing it

They say, unless the thief has found a way to get around the code that they don't know about then it's useless

Volkswagen have given us the name of someone that sells these units cheaper than them, which was very kind of them

They have a brand new one in stock for £14000, and a grade B second hand one for £1100

The second hand unit is no good because when it starts up it shows the Seat logo, and as my son has the car on lease, he'd be charged for a new unit when he hands it back

We're just waiting to see if anything else turns up a bit cheaper.

Pants situation.

14 hours ago, mkowl said:

Be careful on the insurance, at each renewal you have to disclose material facts that an insurer could reliably be expected to know in order to determine the premium.

So if you had caused a crash but paid outside the insurance to the other party, then it is a fact because your driving ability could be questioned ongoing.

So appreciate this is different but if the car was broken into in a regular place you park that would be a material fact.

Insurers do wiggle out if they can, why for example you would always declare points on your licence 

Given the value of the loss it may be worth claiming.