What We Must Not Do

Great result tonight but one thing we mustn't do as a club is get sucked in to offering new contracts to the likes of Matias, Boyd and even Hooper to an extent based on this. We have to be really smart next season with our squad a must take in the past couple of years as a base when offering new deals. Form and injuries play a HUGE factor in that.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Agree on Boyd and Matias. 

Hooper is the best forward at the club, maybe even the best player full stop. 

We have to be sensible but... lose our best player... ?   

I don’t want to 

:duntmatter:

Cant wait to watch Hooper for last few games

I think I agree. Even though today they were very good, how many have they all been available for / played?

For me we need players who are fit for the vast majority of the season, players have had the chance to prove their fitness for the past couple of years and not done it.

The only one I’d consider keeping is Hooper. But as said above Bruce knows what he’s doing, so I’m happy to leave it to him.

Whilst you can’t beat a good clear out (as our lass always moans when performed without the extract on), we still need to maintain a decent sized squad. On form on injuries means we need to have players in as cover. Whilst lots of them have been crocked, if they prove to be able to stay fit until the end of the season then keeping them, getting rid of Jones, Abdi and a few others with possibly a couple more loans becoming permanent deals, that may be a cost-effective way of preparing. Better than paying large fees and wages for any replacements to enhance the squad.

Hooper is a great footballer, no way should get rid ffs, we've been wanting him back for ages. 

Matias and Boyd are blossoming under Bruce, becoming the players we expected unlike under Carlos n jos. 

They could be like 2 great new signings 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Totally agree with the OP. Westwood yes. Hooper and lees if they can prove their fitness. The rest can go and take Joao van amen fox big Dave and maybe even FF. with you. We need players capable of 42 games a season. Strikers that can score 20 a season. Not has been might have beens and could have beens. Fooling hell im sounding like JOC. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Totally agree with the OP. Westwood yes. Hooper and lees if they can prove their fitness. The rest can go and take Joao van amen fox big Dave and maybe even FF. with you. We need players capable of 42 games a season. Strikers that can score 20 a season. Not has been might have beens and could have beens. Fooling hell im sounding like JOC. 

Who do we play for the remaining 4 games of the season though? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hooper has a fantastic football brain and just does all of the basics really well, links the play brilliantly and scares the life out of defenders. Do the maths, we couldn't get a replacement of his ability for anywhere near the price of a contract extension, its a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Burncross Owl said:

Hooper has a fantastic football brain and just does all of the basics really well, links the play brilliantly and scares the life out of defenders. Do the maths, we couldn't get a replacement of his ability for anywhere near the price of a contract extension, its a no brainer for me.

I've done the maths. 60 odd games in 3.5 seasons since he signed for us permanently is not a great return. I have no doubting his ability but his injury record is poor. I just think we need to be really smart next season financially, Hooper will probably be offered bigger money in the USA anyway.

It will indeed be interesting to see what Bruce does regarding the size & content of the Squad, his strategy & tactics are already apparent, seems to be promotion & attack, resp.

This off-season is going to be probably as entertaining as the day Bruce was signed...in spite of FFP-PS.  Bruce has made an impact, both on and off the pitch.  No matter what happens this month, things have been nothing but positive since Bruce arrived.  Injuries are what they are, still, Bruce manages to field a decent Squad.  

Players are expendable, their Managers are looking to replace them with better, the day they're on the payroll, and the Players know this.  We all have our favorite Players, and hate to see them go, if indeed they do go...either way, I trust in Bruce, he's sure turned a "relegation scrap", into a very remarkable run of form, given a wrecked Squad, disgruntled Fans, and an Owner who's wondering if this Bruce guy, is the real thing.

What we must not do, is get rid of Bruce.

Guest mkowl

I think you have to trust Bruce in whatever decisions he makes. Given he frequently mentions the injury record then availability to play will be a huge factor as well as ability. 

What none of us know is where their agents have been touting and indeed where Bruce has been looking. Throw in FFP as well will make for an interesting summer