The scapegoats did well tonight

Just now, Owly Mowly said:

Can’t see pelupessy being there next season - surely Bruce will have his eye on an upgrade 

I imagine he will, but he may also take the view that Pelupessy is worth hanging onto as some form of backup. 

Not everyone in the squad is going to be a nailed on starter. 

Good thread, this, showing the range of views on Owlstalk. For me, Fox was good tonight and he puts his body on the line. He's not out of contract I believe, so he can be a useful squad player but not first choice. Like others I want Joey to do well and tonight was one of his best games, but let's be realistic, he is not a top half Championship player. He doesn't lack in effort but on the ball he is just not good enough, I'm afraid. In fairness he was showing for the ball  but none of the other players passed it to him - they know..

6 hours ago, September65 said:

Good thread, this, showing the range of views on Owlstalk. For me, Fox was good tonight and he puts his body on the line. He's not out of contract I believe, so he can be a useful squad player but not first choice. Like others I want Joey to do well and tonight was one of his best games, but let's be realistic, he is not a top half Championship player. He doesn't lack in effort but on the ball he is just not good enough, I'm afraid. In fairness he was showing for the ball  but none of the other players passed it to him - they know..

As I said the other day a lot is down to confidence. 

When fox first came, he looked out of his depth, he looked what he was, a back up league 1 left back. 

Just when he started to improve and settle into the side, remember that diving headed goal? and a few assists that first season. He got injured and never seemed to regain confidence again, especially after all the grief he seemed to get from fans. 

Bruce has given the lad confidence and he's rebuilding himself back into a solid player at this level. True he's never going to be Roberto Carlos, but with a full pre season under Bruce I think he may become an able deputy when called upon at lb or cb. 

Joey may have been the victim of the "squad politics" that was going on when we started to get the better players back fit. He was jos's top boy, whilst fans favourites where being excluded and like hutch kicking up a stink, he was being picked ahead of others with a greater standing within the sqaud and thier mates which no doubt will of upset a few players, especially as even if he was God awful, he still didn't get "Rotated" out like other players he was jos ever present. 

He like fox has looked out of place, not part of the team and devoid of confidence and its obviously shown on the pitch. 

Hopefully Bruce as with Fox can reintegrate him into the team and playing with confidence as I fear were stuck with him, so may aswell try to get some use out of a player whilst he's here. 

For me as for mattias and Boyd, they're out of contract very soon and would just get rid. They just don't contribute enough consistently enough to give new contracts to. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Plonk said:

No they didn’t. They were both shocking. Don’t let the result fool you. 

You're supposed to be a supporter, which means you are meant to support the side.  

You're having a poor game. I'd substitute you for a true fan, plonker. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lincs Owl said:

You're supposed to be a supporter, which means you are meant to support the side.  

You're having a poor game. I'd substitute you for a true fan, plonker. 

You support the club and sometimes you highlight the negatives to bring about a more positive reaction.

I often back up the lesser players on OT and love it when they produce the goods.  I do find it hard to defend Pelpessy I admire how he gives his all and is willing to do the dirty work, but too often he runs around looking lost and fails to see the obvious. 

Would love him to make me eat my words, he needs to learn to use his brain as well as his feet.  

15 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

You support the club and sometimes you highlight the negatives to bring about a more positive reaction.

I often back up the lesser players on OT and love it when they produce the goods.  I do find it hard to defend Pelpessy I admire how he gives his all and is willing to do the dirty work, but too often he runs around looking lost and fails to see the obvious. 

Would love him to make me eat my words, he needs to learn to use his brain as well as his feet.  

I agree with this. Joey will chase the ball all day long but when he actually has possession he looks extremely uncomfortable, he immediately looks to the nearest team mate to pass to, which during Jos' reign was usually Bannan. He never looks around to actually spread play, ok some will say its keeping it simple but to me it looks like a player who doesn't have much belief or confidence in trying to dictate the game and try various options.

Regardless of how they played I find it nothing short of astonishing that there are still Wednesday fans that choose to boo Fox in particular (including last night on the Kop) when his name is announced and before he has even kicked the ball. And this happens during a spell that we’ve been close to automatic promotion form to which Fox has contributed.

Think Joey has the potential physicality and attitude to be an ok backup in that DM role, but for me he wastes a ton of his own time and energy by being far too direct. He insists on running in a poker-straight line directly to where the ball *is* at any given moment, not to where it’s about to be, and so he very often arrives just after it’s gone again.

Ends up just pinballing about the pitch directly after the ball, like you see mobs of 20 kids doing in under-10s games - reminds me of a puppy chasing traffic sometimes. He’s like the polar opposite of Lees, who waits to fully commit himself until absolutely certain, but sometimes seems like he’d still be jockeying the opposites’ team bus out of the car park given half a chance.

lol

2 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Think Joey has the potential physicality and attitude to be an ok backup in that DM role, but for me he wastes a ton of his own time and energy by being far too direct. He insists on running in a poker-straight line directly to where the ball *is* at any given moment, not to where it’s about to be, and so he very often arrives just after it’s gone again.

Ends up just pinballing about the pitch directly after the ball, like you see mobs of 20 kids doing in under-10s games - reminds me of a puppy chasing traffic sometimes. He’s like the polar opposite of Lees, who waits to fully commit himself until absolutely certain, but sometimes seems like he’d still be jockeying the opposites’ team bus out of the car park given half a chance.

lol

I mean this is something I can be guilty of at times. Thing is I do this to force them into rushing passes and making mistakes. I know I can do this and still have enough energy to track back or go forward if I do force a mistake. 

Problem is it’s less likely to happen at that level as most players will be comfortable in possession. 

38 minutes ago, The Regulator said:

Regardless of how they played I find it nothing short of astonishing that there are still Wednesday fans that choose to boo Fox in particular (including last night on the Kop) when his name is announced and before he has even kicked the ball. And this happens during a spell that we’ve been close to automatic promotion form to which Fox has contributed.

Cos majority of our fans are thick idiots.

We say United/Leeds have scum fans but forget that we have just as many.

9 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

I mean this is something I can be guilty of at times. Thing is I do this to force them into rushing passes and making mistakes. I know I can do this and still have enough energy to track back or go forward if I do force a mistake. 

Problem is it’s less likely to happen at that level as most players will be comfortable in possession. 

Yes and to be fair Joey does often at least rush them, which isn’t nothing, but as you say they’re often able to find a pass first - or worse, just drop the shoulder and leave him stranded by his own momentum.

I guess it’s just disheartening to see it repeat itself so many times per game when he’s clearly working his socks off - never once seen any lack of effort or willing from him, which again isn’t nothing.

When Bannan tracks a player back, for example, he nearly always runs in a massive sweeping arc to arrive where they’re going, not where they are - sometimes too much so, tbf, and often ends up fractionally late to the meeting point as a result. But at least he’s not just chasing shadows - best you’re gonna do if you ever catch someone while literally slipstreaming them is to give away a soft free kick, which Joey often does.

9 hours ago, September65 said:

I think under Bruce's tutelage both players will improve .. i think under previous regimes and tactics both players were confused and drained of confidence .. doesn't help when the fans have it in for you that they are relentless and a small pocket, no matter how good you play, will never let it go and still give you crap.

Fox had a steady game no more no less. He didn’t let anyone down last night and looked exactly what he is, our second or third choice left back behind Lazaar, Palmer and Penney.

Pelupessy improved after starting poorly being caught out of position and failing to get a foot in at vital moments.

Looked better as the game went on (like most of the team).

Don’t know if it was the absence of Bannan but he started to pick better forward passes rather than the usual 5 yard sideways ones. 

Don’t agree with scapegoating any player. They did ok in a makeshift team last night and should be recognised as back up players to a first team. If they can be improved upon in our present circumstances then do it. If not we have to support em when  they have to be played.

Honestly, when I first saw that teamsheet I thought we were going to get wrecked.

Outside the back 4, Pessy was the only guy with a defensive bone in his body and I just reckoned he'd get isolated trying to cover 2-3 of their guys (as he so often has in the past!), we'd lose by 2 or 3 and he'd get pelters for trying to cope while people like Reach and Boyd leaving him with extra men.

Very glad i didn't put money on it, and a big well done to the entire team!

• Like 1