Rock climbing

kilnhurstowl

8 hours ago, Bleeder said:

Ayup mate. I hadn't seen it... but I have now. Wonder if kilnhurstowl is still into it?

Christmas 'to do' list as long as me arm but still couldn't resist a trip to the Foundry yesterday. 

Just ticking over at the moment, so busy with work and stuff.

Looking forwards to the spring! Will definitely post stuff in here if people are interested in it!

First sign of decent weather get yersen up here!!

Alright mate, I was well into climbing but at Awsome walls in Sheffield a guy who was belaying me did not catch me when I came off and I ended up falling 25ft straight to the floor. 

Knees are shot now because of that. I can't climb now. Proper gutted as I so wish I could. 

1 minute ago, kilnhurstowl said:

Alright mate, I was well into climbing but at Awsome walls in Sheffield a guy who was belaying me did not catch me when I came off and I ended up falling 25ft straight to the floor. 

Knees are shot now because of that. I can't climb now. Proper gutted as I so wish I could. 

Ah Jesus mate... sorry to hear that.

Just now, ``` said:

Ah Jesus mate... sorry to hear that.

Ah it was awful. I lost my job cause I was struggling to even get in my house for a good year. Still waiting for hospital appointments to get it sorted. 

Mentally it proper threw me out. 

Am OK now though. Mentally like.

All I can say is when belaying make sure you concentrate at all times. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kilnhurstowl said:

Ah it was awful. I lost my job cause I was struggling to even get in my house for a good year. Still waiting for hospital appointments to get it sorted. 

Mentally it proper threw me out. 

Am OK now though. Mentally like.

All I can say is when belaying make sure you concentrate at all times. 

Awful mate.

Truly hope things get better for you soon.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, ``` said:

Awful mate.

Truly hope things get better for you soon.

Thanks mate. Climbing was everything to me ,  was about to break into the 7s on indoor climbing walls then got injured lol. Oh well. It’s nice to see others like yourself enjoying it though. It’s an awesome sport 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, kilnhurstowl said:

Thanks mate. Climbing was everything to me ,  was about to break into the 7s on indoor climbing walls then got injured lol. Oh well. It’s nice to see others like yourself enjoying it though. It’s an awesome sport 

Any chance of you getting back participating in the long term?

9 minutes ago, kilnhurstowl said:

Oh mate I'm so sorry. I was going there regularly until a couple of years back - went this Thursday. Knew something like that had happened. If you do feel able to pull on again, even to do some 4s/5s give us a shout. I definitely won't drop you!!!

• Love 1

Just now, Bleeder said:

Oh mate I'm so sorry. I was going there regularly until a couple of years back - went this Thursday. Knew something like that had happened. If you do feel able to pull on again, even to do some 4s/5s give us a shout. I definitely won't drop you!!!

Thanks mate, appreciate it. 
I would love to be back at some point even just on a casual basis but at the moment it’s a no go. 
climbing is great though isn’t it . 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, kilnhurstowl said:

Thanks mate, appreciate it. 
I would love to be back at some point even just on a casual basis but at the moment it’s a no go. 
climbing is great though isn’t it . 

It is. Really got into it when at uni, all sorts if stuff going on so couldn't commit to carry on playing football.

Quite quickly became obsessed - when in my 20s I used to walk around at work with a climbing guide in my pocket, waiting for the day to end so I could get out cragging.

As you'll probably have seen earlier, I now have 2 false hips but used to climb with hardly any joint range and with alot of pain before they were done. Couldn't leave it alone!

If you can tolerate it, I used to use climbing all the time for running rehab when I was injured, if controlled, great for increasing flexibility, strength and stability, proprioception...

(Anyway, even though I'm an old gimmer, I'm obsessed again and trying stuff that's a bit beyond me now if I'm honest)

Not climbed for about 3-4 years now. Its a hobby which can quickly become incredibly addictive and obsessive.
Used to Spend many summer days at Stanage edge with my dog soloing routes to try and build some confidence for harder trad routes. 

Seeing the post above about being dropped however is scary, I’ve never heard of a belayer dropping anyone at a climbing wall. Inexcusable really.

• Like 1

A 6A+ route has been defeating me for weeks. Finally climbed it last night and then climbed it again straight after.

Still don't get how that happens... is it just overcoming it mentally that changes the outcome?

1 hour ago, ``` said:

A 6A+ route has been defeating me for weeks. Finally climbed it last night and then climbed it again straight after.

Still don't get how that happens... is it just overcoming it mentally that changes the outcome?

Neurobiology and the wonders of plasticity mate... it's quite interesting!!

On 19/12/2021 at 19:29, 83owl said:

Not climbed for about 3-4 years now. Its a hobby which can quickly become incredibly addictive and obsessive.
Used to Spend many summer days at Stanage edge with my dog soloing routes to try and build some confidence for harder trad routes. 

Seeing the post above about being dropped however is scary, I’ve never heard of a belayer dropping anyone at a climbing wall. Inexcusable really.

Shouldn't happen. Sometimes belayer being distracted/inattentive, sometimes not knowing how to use the device properly, (grigris are easy to get wrong if you've not used one before.)