Jump to content

Rock climbing


kilnhurstowl
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'll start. 

I went to the new climbing wall called the depot in Sheffield yesterday. Its just off Woodburn Road near supertram. 

My thoughts on the place are its awsome. Its blinking huge but nice problems and lots of different angles to go at. Well worth a visit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@kilnhurstowl

 

Don't know if you'll see this in time but BMC members get a free pass to watch a new film, 'A Statement of Youth' this weekend only.

It's about the climbing scene in the 80s, the explosion in new styles, and focuses pretty much on Sheffield based climbers that were leading the way in the UK and the world at the time.

Quite a bit focusing on 80s Sheffield. 

I really enjoyed it.

 

The link is 

 

https://vimeo.com/334839810?utm_source=BMC+Email+Subscribers&utm_campaign=89d1f9c503-statement_of_youth&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_06481fa93e-89d1f9c503-2001993&goal=0_06481fa93e-89d1f9c503-2001993

 

And the password is Hubble9a

 

In other news, as you may or may not know, I do a fair bit of mountain running and endurance events but have never really done much climbing.

However, both my kids are keen to learn (having done bits at school/uni) 

so we're all regìstering at our local centre and are going to give it a go.

Really looking forward to it.

 

 

 

Edited by ```
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok so me and the kids are about 10 weeks into climbing.

Still all really enjoying it and progressing.

Getting better and doing some harder climbs now... we're all definitely improving. 

 

Me and the boy should be signed off to climb unsupervised soon, which will be good.

My daughter unfortunately can't be until she's 18 which is unfortunate... is that a rule at most climbing centres?

 

Anyway, if anyone else is considering taking it up, I highly recommend it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/08/2019 at 03:03, Utah Owl said:

Took this last year in Zion National Park. That rock face is nearly 2000ft. Scares me just looking at the daft buggers!

20180418_142625.jpg

Not scary if they are roped up... it's those freestyle nutters that do my head in!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/05/2019 at 07:06, ``` said:

@kilnhurstowl

 

Don't know if you'll see this in time but BMC members get a free pass to watch a new film, 'A Statement of Youth' this weekend only.

It's about the climbing scene in the 80s, the explosion in new styles, and focuses pretty much on Sheffield based climbers that were leading the way in the UK and the world at the time.

Quite a bit focusing on 80s Sheffield. 

I really enjoyed it.

 

The link is 

 

https://vimeo.com/334839810?utm_source=BMC+Email+Subscribers&utm_campaign=89d1f9c503-statement_of_youth&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_06481fa93e-89d1f9c503-2001993&goal=0_06481fa93e-89d1f9c503-2001993

 

And the password is Hubble9a

 

 

 

Andy Pollitt who features in the film passed away yesterday. 

RIP

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok so this thread never really took off.

Perhaps @Bleeder and any other climbers might not have seen it.

 

We're all still climbing after a long break during Covid lockdown. 

Still improving, though now I think it's about climbing more regularly and consistently to see those improvements. Think we're getting to a stage where we need to work on strength and technique hence trying to climb more regularly. 

We've climbed at Highball in Norwich as well as our regular wall and loved it.

Looking to go to Avid in Ipswich soon as well.

 

Outdoors on rock is also an objective, probably next summer now.

 

@kilnhurstowl Hopefully this may generate a fresh start for the thread!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ``` said:

Ok so this thread never really took off.

Perhaps @Bleeder and any other climbers might not have seen it.

 

We're all still climbing after a long break during Covid lockdown. 

Still improving, though now I think it's about climbing more regularly and consistently to see those improvements. Think we're getting to a stage where we need to work on strength and technique hence trying to climb more regularly. 

We've climbed at Highball in Norwich as well as our regular wall and loved it.

Looking to go to Avid in Ipswich soon as well.

 

Outdoors on rock is also an objective, probably next summer now.

 

@kilnhurstowl Hopefully this may generate a fresh start for the thread!

Ayup mate. I hadn't seen it... but I have now. Wonder if kilnhurstowl is still into it?

Christmas 'to do' list as long as me arm but still couldn't resist a trip to the Foundry yesterday. 

Just ticking over at the moment, so busy with work and stuff.

Looking forwards to the spring! Will definitely post stuff in here if people are interested in it!

First sign of decent weather get yersen up here!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ``` said:

 

Climbing walls are your friend. 

I live in Norfolk and manage to climb... there is nowhere further away from outdoor climbing. 

Nearest one is in a soft play centre for kids 😄 plus thanks to working for the NHS me knees and back are wrecked. Old age plays a part as well 🙂

Edited by darra
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, darra said:

Nearest one is in a soft play centre for kids 😄 plus thanks to working for the NHS me knees and back are wrecked. Old age plays a part as well 🙂

As a sport it's incredibly good for your strength and mobility Darra. I've gone back to it after many years of running because I had to have me hips replaced. Don't climb trad routes, (very often) or boulder now because I really can't afford to hit the ground hard.

 

Most walls have autobelays now, (inertia reels which lower you to the ground slowly,) so even if you're on your own you can climb routes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Bleeder said:

As a sport it's incredibly good for your strength and mobility Darra. I've gone back to it after many years of running because I had to have me hips replaced. Don't climb trad routes, (very often) or boulder now because I really can't afford to hit the ground hard.

 

Most walls have autobelays now, (inertia reels which lower you to the ground slowly,) so even if you're on your own you can climb routes.

Yeah, I realise that but I sometimes have trouble with my knees climbing the stairs. 🙂 Plus not sure I want to stand in line with a load of kids. The mums might soften the blow though😃

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...