Just now, torryowl said:

he didn't look like a player feeling his way back in after 18 months out …...

Which surprised me. His other comebacks after injury have always seen him take a while to get going again - and he'd never before been out as long as this.

Imagine this front 6 for final 6 games: 

Hooper Fletcher/Joao 

Aarons         Bannan.        Hutch      Reach 

With Forestieri in the mix somewhere too - no reason why we can’t win 5/6. 

6 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Gary Hooper was fantastic today, the fact he started two games back to back shows what Bruce thinks to him

I hope he's here next season. 

Absolutely.

I think the only reason Hooper won't be with us next season is if we really can't afford it, or Hooper gets a better offer elsewhere.

It's obvious Bruce is a fan and would no doubt be delighted to have me here for next season.

• Like 1

There isn't a better player in this division when it comes to holding the ball up and linking attack with the midfield. 

The guy is an absolute class act. He is one, two steps ahead of most of his opponents. 

In saying that, I can't see us keeping hold of him and I'm not sure we should. 

Considering the situation we find ourselves in with FFP, I just don't think we can afford to be handing out new deals to players who may be out for half a season. 

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

There isn't a better player in this division when it comes to holding the ball up and linking attack with the midfield. 

The guy is an absolute class act. He is one, two steps ahead of most of his opponents. 

In saying that, I can't see us keeping hold of him and I'm not sure we should. 

Considering the situation we find ourselves in with FFP, I just don't think we can afford to be handing out new deals to players who may be out for half a season. 

Sadly I agree in terms of finances, was a pleasure to see him play today though, his understanding of the game in terms of linking the midfield to the attack makes the game so much better to watch. 

2 hours ago, cowl said:

Absolutely.

I think the only reason Hooper won't be with us next season is if we really can't afford it, or Hooper gets a better offer elsewhere.

It's obvious Bruce is a fan and would no doubt be delighted to have me here for next season.

Gary?

18 minutes ago, dobbo said:

Gary?

No, I doubt he posts on here.

I just seamlessly segued into a shamelessly indulgent pitch about my own talents and estimation of Bruce's pleasure at signing me up for next season. #ageandlackoftalentisnobarrier

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

If we do it would be a ridiculous decision. The core of the team needs major surgery and we need to start again. Keeping players like Hooper, no matter how good he is just epitomises why we won’t move forward under the ownership of Chansiri. Too much sentiment. 

Hmmm, I get the financial side of it, but isn't this all about build the best team to get us out of the division next season?

2 other names that wouldn't fit the profile of player that's being suggested we should go for - Billy Sharp and David McGoldrick.

Taking the finances completely away from it- Fletcher and Hooper as a pairing (if they could stay fit) is good enough to get us promoted if the rest of the team is up to it.

It's a tough call, and a 12.month contract certainly wouldn't be 'ridiculous' in my book.

I do get where you're coming from though- depends if we're prepared to look at the squad rebuilding as a long term product, or if we're still looking for the quick win.

8 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Hmmm, I get the financial side of it, but isn't this all about build the best team to get us out of the division next season?

2 other names that wouldn't fit the profile of player that's being suggested we should go for - Billy Sharp and David McGoldrick.

Taking the finances completely away from it- Fletcher and Hooper as a pairing (if they could stay fit) is good enough to get us promoted if the rest of the team is up to it.

It's a tough call, and a 12.month contract certainly wouldn't be 'ridiculous' in my book.

I do get where you're coming from though- depends if we're prepared to look at the squad rebuilding as a long term product, or if we're still looking for the quick win.

Exactly

McGoldrick and Sharp have took Blades up essentially - both in their thirties

If we play Hooper in the right way - he’s an unreal asset at this level, and finishing is second to none

Fletcher will never be prolific - we need to ship out Winnall and Nuhui and bring in someone else

gary hooper has started just  63 times for us out of a possible 167 league games and at Norwich he only started 38 times in 2 and a quarter seasons .he has a total of 30 league goals for us in the near 4 seasons while he has been with us (he signed with us on oct 27th 2015)  gary hooper is a good footballer no argument but on 30k a week and to have played so few games in near 4 full seasons is shocking . and im sure we were hoping for a lot more than 30 league goals in near 4 seasons for him . he is a luxury we cant afford. 

10 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Exactly

McGoldrick and Sharp have took Blades up essentially - both in their thirties

If we play Hooper in the right way - he’s an unreal asset at this level, and finishing is second to none

Fletcher will never be prolific - we need to ship out Winnall and Nuhui and bring in someone else

This is the key- can we balance the books without losing anyone we would ideally keep. This wouldn't just be losing the out of contract players - it would mean otherd that we can get a fee for such as the two you mention, plus Rhodes, Van Acken. 

Then there's the Forestieri dilemma. Everyone knows how good he is, but if we're trying to keep Fletcher, Hooper supplemented by Joao, is it time to cash in on FF while he still has a sell-on value?

If it meant keeping Westwood and Hooper for another crack at it and being able to take Hector I'd probably (with a heavy heart) have to let Nando go.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

13 hours ago, Beholder said:

Spot on.

Seriously some people think strikers that good grow on trees at this level.

They don't .would be insane not to offer him a new contract. He massively influenced how well we played today.

Absolutely correct reference his ability, but the question is, can he stay fit and can we take that chance, his wages wont be cheap, I would love him

to stay fit but history shows us this is not something we can gamble on, will he take a wage cut? We can only hope.

15 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

gary hooper has started just  63 times for us out of a possible 167 league games and at Norwich he only started 38 times in 2 and a quarter seasons .he has a total of 30 league goals for us in the near 4 seasons while he has been with us (he signed with us on oct 27th 2015)  gary hooper is a good footballer no argument but on 30k a week and to have played so few games in near 4 full seasons is shocking . and im sure we were hoping for a lot more than 30 league goals in near 4 seasons for him . he is a luxury we cant afford. 

The market will ultimately decide whether Hooper can still demand this kind of wage. If the best Hooper's agent can do for him is a 2 year deal on £20k a week then it's a different question, but I suspect he'll have choices- Celtic wouldn't surprise me.

On 07/04/2019 at 08:33, handworth52 said:

Don’t talk sense on here , it’s not allowed ! He did play well but for the reasons you have pointed out , the money could and should be better spent elsewhere . Half the reason teams like the pigs do so well is sensible recruitment , with players who play week in week out