9 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Problem is, it’s not pitch and putt.

Why would any player of his standing and track record accept a pay as you play deal?

He could easily get 2 and 3 year contract offers if available on a free

Really?  Not club will offer that when his recent fitness record is taken into account.

..great when fit but he is a croc sadly. 

His performance today from a player who hasn’t played for a year was outstanding.

Build the team round him? There’s no bigger Hooper fan than me, but no of course you can’t.

Offer a contract? I’m sure Bruce will look long and hard at this. He knows quality when he sees it. If the physios give him good vibes, and if Hooper will drop his wage a tad, maybe he will stay. But very sadly I think he will be thanked and wished well on his way.

Terrific player.

12 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

I’m sorry, but that’s just a ridiculous statement.

You want to build a team around a player who’s missed over half of the last 3 years?

he was class today, but i agree with you. 

The contract we offer has to be realistic considering his injury record. The pigs have shown us that a fit first team choice is half the battle to getting out of this league.

He's never suffered injuries before, so if he is truly over that one and no risk or recurrence then I'd sign him up.

He does need to get in better shape though, poor that he can't keep himself fit despite his injury- nowadays there's no excuse with the fitness facilities available. Hopefully it will improve long term with Bruce in charge.

Pay as you play deals very rarely happen. It’s usually when a player has nowhere to go and is desperate. 

Hooper knows there will be offers for him in the summer should we not wish to offer him a new deal. 

I get what people are saying but he’s not reliable enough and we need our best players to stay fit for the majority of the season. Time to move on for me. 

Edited by steelcityowlsfan

17 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

His performance today from a player who hasn’t played for a year was outstanding.

Build the team round him? There’s no bigger Hooper fan than me, but no of course you can’t.

Offer a contract? I’m sure Bruce will look long and hard at this. He knows quality when he sees it. If the physios give him good vibes, and if Hooper will drop his wage a tad, maybe he will stay. But very sadly I think he will be thanked and wished well on his way.

Terrific player.

Id love him to stay, but I'm convinced that there will be a team out there that can offer him a better deal than we can afford to match.

We are (hopefully) done with offering multi year contracts to players over 30 years of age.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He’s 32. Has a suspect injury record. We already have 10 billion strikers. He is at the top end of the wage bill. 

FFP is a real issue. It’s not magically disappearing. We resign Hooper, that is another year or two of significant wages which could be spent on bringing in a player like Hector or someone else where it’s really needed. 

Do you think Norwich fans are still gutted they lost Maddison? Do you think Leeds are crying over Chris Wood? Do you think United are still upset over Brooks?

In any business to improve and move forward you have to make tough decisions for the long term vision. We keep hold of Hooper, it just shows me we haven’t learnt our lesson. 

None of the team's you mention will be upset cause they got huge fees

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

If we do it would be a ridiculous decision. The core of the team needs major surgery and we need to start again. Keeping players like Hooper, no matter how good he is just epitomises why we won’t move forward under the ownership of Chansiri. Too much sentiment. 

I kind of agree, but look what Bruce has done with the current squad in a few months. I’m not sure major surgery is needed, freshen up some of the fringe players maybe and give Bruce a preseason with the players. Westwood, Lees, Bannan, Hutchinson, Hooper, Reach, Fletcher, FF is still a solid championship spine to build a team around 

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

I see we still have the lunatics saying he is injury prone.  He had one long layoff after CC kept playing him, other than that he’s had a perfectly normal career and a great goal scoring record.

our fans are absolutle crack pots, get rid and release a player who is bottom/end prem standard or at very worse top end champ.  I’m jist so glad none of our fans get near picking the team.  

Unbelievable isn’t it 

so let’s get rid of hooper and leave the striking options of nuhiu, Joao, Winnall here, all of whom aren’t half as good 

Edited by FreshOwl

we have been without hooper for over 15 months ,based on a tap in we cant afford to offer him a new deal on 30k a week ,id keep him on a pay as you play deal but he or any footballer wont sign a deal on those terms. I rate hooper but is it a risk too high to offer him a new deal with the huge problems we face in the summer with a likely embargo and possible other sanctions . 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

I see we still have the lunatics saying he is injury prone.  He had one long layoff after CC kept playing him, other than that he’s had a perfectly normal career and a great goal scoring record.

our fans are absolutle crack pots, get rid and release a player who is bottom/end prem standard or at very worse top end champ.  I’m jist so glad none of our fans get near picking the team.  

I may know the answer to this question but do you understand FFP?

I’m willing to give you some time to Google it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cowl said:

Bannan had an excellent game today and I think that was in part due to having Hooper to play balls into.

A new contract? I'd be gutted to see him leave, but it's just a question of whether we can really afford to offer him a new one, and then whether he'd accept less money.

I think even with his fitness record over the past few years, there'd definitely be teams that would be interested at this level.

Yeah, it's annoying for a player like Bannan when no one makes that run or at least moves to a position where the pass is possible, Hooper can do that

Edited by jomaco