12 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He’s 32. Has a suspect injury record. We already have 10 billion strikers. He is at the top end of the wage bill. 

FFP is a real issue. It’s not magically disappearing. We resign Hooper, that is another year or two of significant wages which could be spent on bringing in a player like Hector or someone else where it’s really needed. 

Do you think Norwich fans are still gutted they lost Maddison? Do you think Leeds are crying over Chris Wood? Do you think United are still upset over Brooks?

In any business to improve and move forward you have to make tough decisions for the long term vision. We keep hold of Hooper, it just shows me we haven’t learnt our lesson. 

Are you joking? 

They all left because they had a better offer

Hooper has played 2 games since coming back and today absolutely showed he’s top of the class against an apparently, set for promotion side 

We will not get a striker anywhere near his quality at all for less than 5m 

2 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Are you joking? 

They all left because they had a better offer

Hooper has played 2 games since coming back and today absolutely showed he’s top of the class against an apparently, set for promotion side 

We will not get a striker anywhere near his quality at all for less than 5m 

Spot on.

Seriously some people think strikers that good grow on trees at this level.

They don't .would be insane not to offer him a new contract. He massively influenced how well we played today.

Edited by Beholder

46 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

New contract now.

So so effective in that position - rarely lost the ball at all, and superb at his link up play

Itll cost us a fortune to get a player anywhere like that, give him an extension ASAP

I'll hold my hands up...I was against even starting him today....but he never put a foot wrong, has a head for football, always takes up good positions

Edited by asteener1867

Just now, asteener1867 said:

I'll hold my hands up...I was against even starting him today....but he never put a foot wrong, has a head for football, always takes up 

Was blowing all game and still absolutely shat on Villa

Unreal player

8 minutes ago, Beholder said:

We have a lot of strikers.

I'd let go of Winnal , Fletcher , Forestieri, Nuhiu and Matias .

Not Hooper though. Hooper stays and you build around him. He is too good to do otherwise.

I also reckon Bruce sees things the same way but we shall wait and see.

What's the point in building around a player who hasn't been available for 18 out of the last 24 months?

Just now, Beholder said:

That is irrelevant.

He is fit now.

It's not. He's over 30. And came with a dubious fitness record.

If base your team around an individual that good what do you do when he is inevitably unfit? He touch today was a class apart. If he had been available even jos would have won a few more games.

35 minutes ago, vulva said:

He’s a very good player, but doesn’t fit the criteria of what we need. Injury prone, no sell on value and wrong age. 

We need a complete overhaul of our recruitment policy. 

We need players that will take us up does he fit that criteria? 

56 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

New contract now.

So so effective in that position - rarely lost the ball at all, and superb at his link up play

Itll cost us a fortune to get a player anywhere like that, give him an extension ASAP

I love Hooper. 

He’s easily our best player, but you just can’t get enough football out of him to significantly contribute.

He doesn’t seem to get knocks, it’s major injuries.

Unfortunately we need to wave him goodbye

3 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Strictly pay as you play only.

..we’ll do well to get 20 games plus out of him 

Problem is, it’s not pitch and putt.

Why would any player of his standing and track record accept a pay as you play deal?

He could easily get 2 and 3 year contract offers if available on a free

28 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Hooper stays and you build around him.

I’m sorry, but that’s just a ridiculous statement.

You want to build a team around a player who’s missed over half of the last 3 years?

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Problem is, it’s not pitch and putt.

Why would any player of his standing and track record accept a pay as you play deal?

He could easily get 2 and 3 year contract offers if available on a free

I think we have to let him go. I don't know what we do with players (three new players from jan already injured) but we can't afford big earners who aren't available every week. 

If we have a few star players on big whack we can't afford decent quality squad players to come in when these stars are unfit.

We need to cut the wage bill.

Theres half a dozen strikers on our books that I’d like to see exit before Gary Hooper.

But they aren’t out of contract.

He is.

If we can offload, Joao, Winnal, Rhodes, Nuhiu then great, offfer Hooper a year.