• Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Hooper
    • Boyd
    • Fox
    • Matias
    • Forestieri

1 hour ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Unfortunately if we want to get out of this league we need better than Fletcher. Am not for one min knocking his workrate, all round play but he is so wasteful in front of goal. 

He's scored a few this season but his conversion rate is 1 in 10 and he just seems to bottle the most important moments where he is shooting or heading. 

If he scored 1 in 4 we'd have at least 10 more points on the board where he has missed sitters and I count today. 

Moron or not the stats don't lie.... 

Oh fizz off.  You haven't been saying this for the past two months when he's been carrying this team have you?

4 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Unfortunately if we want to get out of this league we need better than Fletcher. Am not for one min knocking his workrate, all round play but he is so wasteful in front of goal. 

He's scored a few this season but his conversion rate is 1 in 10 and he just seems to bottle the most important moments where he is shooting or heading. 

If he scored 1 in 4 we'd have at least 10 more points on the board where he has missed sitters and I count today. 

Where do you get your stats from?

He has scored 10 from 69 efforts.

26 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

1 every 6.9 efforts ain't great neither

No it’s not. But to claim it’s one in ten had to be corrected.

The best scorers in the division this season are 1 in 3 to 1 in 5.

Edited by Holmowl

Hooper was outstanding, his hold up play and linking in other players was outstanding, which is something our other forwards don’t do anywhere near as well. I think he only gave the ball away a couple of times. And as others have said, B.B. ran the show - that pass through to Boyd on their six yard box that everyone in the stadium read apart from Boyd was just magic. 

Westwood 7

Fox 6 better second half after a dodgy start. 

Hector 7

Lees 6

Palmer 5. - much improved of late but not his best day. Switched off for the first and made a hash of the third. 

Reach 7

Bannan 8

Hutchinson 8

Boyd 7

Hooper 7

Fletcher 5 - was limping before the penalty so don’t know why he took it. Missed other chances too. 

Mattias 4 - contributed nothing. 

Westwood - 6 - He'll be disappointed to concede three goals, having had little to do all game. I thought he maybe could've done better with the first, perhaps I'm been a tad harsh, and again, I expect a goalkeeper of his calibre to save Adomah's decisive goal. 

Iorfa - 6 - Decent enough start. Yet another frustrating injury. 

Lees - 7 - Thought he had a very commanding game on the whole. Kept Abraham quiet and frustrated throughout.

Hector - 7 - Superb ball to play Boyd in for the goal, but was he guilty of switching off, like Palmer, for Villa's 1st goal? Seemed to be late to react to Green's pull back. 

Palmer - 5 - Bad day at the office defensively. Lazy and sloppy play for Villa's 1st goal. He gives up on the ball expecting it to go out, inexcusable. And woefully weak for Abraham's late goal. 

Hutchinson - 7 - He had a fairly understated game, but went about his business efficiently. Grealish was anonymous, and that was down largely to Hutchinson's measured but aggressive defending against him. 

Bannan - 8 - Man of the Match - Yet again, the heartbeat of the side, and in the 2nd half especially, he was magnificent. Head and shoulders above anybody else, the best player on the pitch. 

Reach - 6 - Argh...yet again, frustratingly lacklustre. On the occasions he got himself in good positions, his quality on the ball was lacking. His form at present, is a worry. Been off the boil for a considerable period now. 

Boyd - 7 - Brilliant run and coolness to play Hooper in for the goal. As always, works hard, and to be fair, he was a threat at times yesterday. You cannot fault him one bit. 

Hooper - 7 - Stepped it up a notch from last week. Typical Hooper goal, right place at the right time. His all round game was sharp as well. Will Bruce find a way of playing Fletcher, Hooper and Forestieri? Or is it that ongoing conundrum that can't be solved. 

Fletcher - 6 - His all round game was very good yesterday, and he deserved a goal from his performance. But, as blunt and harsh as it may sound, that penalty miss firmly slammed the door shut of any playoff hopes. Poor penalty, after good work to win it.

Fox - 6 - Did a steady enough job when he came on. Could he perhaps have reacted quicker to Adomah's goal? I don't think so. 

Overall... major missed opportunity, and the terminal blow in reality. 

1st half, was Even Stevens. Villa controlled the game with the ball, without causing us any trouble whatsoever, and we looked dangerous on the break. Their 1st goal is inexcusable at this level, and it gave them the foundation to get into the game. 

That said, 2nd half, I thought we were magnificent. We penned Villa in. They couldn't get out, and struggled to string a series of passes together. We perhaps lacked that little spark in key areas (Boyd isn't that player, and Reach has been poor for too long now). Felt it needed a Forestieri or a Matias, far earlier than we saw them. However, you can't ask for a better opportunity than a penalty kick, and unfortunately, we fluffed our lines. 

Such a frustrating day...such fine margins have shattered any hopes of that playoff glimpse. But, when you don't turn up til after Christmas, you leave yourself in a position where those fine margins have to go for you. Two weeks on the trot, those key moments in games haven't gone our way, and those five dropped points have proven to be so crucial.  

Hooper or Hector for me. Frustrating second half, when you miss chances against a team with good attacking players it can always happen.

And the fans singing ‘Brucey give us a wave’ when we went 1-0 up, don’t sing that again so early in a game. I can just about have that song if we’re 3 up in the second half but not after 10 minutes 

Edited by nilsson

9 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

This season, Fletcher has had 86 efforts on goal, and scored 10. That's a conversion of 1 in 8.6 shots. 

But, that doesn't tell you anything really. To analyse a striker's clinical-ness, which you're doing, you need to look at xG. For example, if all of Fletcher's 86 shots were from inside the six yard box, a conversion of 1 in 9 would be pretty damned awful. Conversely, if all of those efforts were from outside the box (i.e Adam Reach-esque), a similar conversion would be remarkable. 

In terms of xG, Fletcher has had a total of 9.99 and scored 10 goals. So he's scoring, almost exactly, the amount of goals he should be, based on the quality of chances he's had. 

Any guesses who our most clinical player is? I think it might surprise a few.

4 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

This season, Fletcher has had 86 efforts on goal, and scored 10. That's a conversion of 1 in 8.6 shots. 

But, that doesn't tell you anything really. To analyse a striker's clinical-ness, which you're doing, you need to look at xG. For example, if all of Fletcher's 86 shots were from inside the six yard box, a conversion of 1 in 9 would be pretty damned awful. Conversely, if all of those efforts were from outside the box (i.e Adam Reach-esque), a similar conversion would be remarkable. 

In terms of xG, Fletcher has had a total of 9.99 and scored 10 goals. So he's scoring, almost exactly, the amount of goals he should be, based on the quality of chances he's had. 

Lees? Matias?

Edited by Costello 77

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

Joao

Looking at highlights better, can't criticise palmer too much for first goal. Sure he's not toe to toe with the man but whoever's tracking McGinn switches off as well ..

Also Westwood doesn't cover himself in glory for the 2nd,  poor area to push the ball in to ...Palmer rightly at fault for the third but we'd probably lost it by then, but it was still awful defending

And fletchers pen .... absolute dogga

10 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Looking at highlights better, can't criticise palmer too much for first goal. Sure he's not toe to toe with the man but whoever's tracking McGinn switches off as well ..

Also Westwood doesn't cover himself in glory for the 2nd,  poor area to push the ball in to ...Palmer rightly at fault for the third but we'd probably lost it by then, but it was still awful defending

And fletchers pen .... absolute dogga

It was lazy 

Palmer and Hector assumed the ball was going out and switched off Al Ghazi ( sp ) didn't and neither did McGinn a really poor goal to concede 

5 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

Lees? Matias?

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Joao

32 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Iorfa I reckon.

But over a season I reckon it must be Nuhiu. 

Matias until he got dropped. 

@Holmowl is spot on. 

Joao has NINE goals from an xG of only 3.51.

And yet, one of the criticisms constantly thrown at him, is that's he's not clinical enough.  Infact, Joao hasn't missed a "good" chance all season. He's had four chances with an xG of over 25%, and scored all four of them. Mightily impressive. 

Iorfa is a close 2nd, although he obviously only has a small sample size, 3 goals from an xG of 1.36. 

Nuhiu's is pretty poor. He has only THREE goals from an xG of 5.04. Lees pretty much level, 2 goals from 1.79 xG, and Matias is 4th in "Clinical-ness", 4 goals from an xG of 2.28. 

Edited by frastheowl
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

@Holmowl is spot on. 

Joao has NINE goals from an xG of only 3.51.

And yet, one of the criticisms constantly thrown at him, is that's he's not clinical enough.  Infact, Joao hasn't missed a "good" chance all season. He's had four chances with an xG of over 25%, and scored all four of them. Mightily impressive. 

Iorfa is a close 2nd, although he obviously only has a small sample size, 3 goals from an xG of 1.36. 

Nuhiu's is pretty poor. He has only THREE goals from an xG of 5.04. Lees pretty much level, 2 goals from 1.79 xG, and Matias is 4th in "Clinical-ness", 4 goals from an xG of 2.28. 

Definitely no surprise.

Can finish with both feet and his head, makes him a very dangerous prospect in the box