Fernando The Observer

2 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Daniel Taylor, originally from Nottinghamshire...

Hmmm...

Yeah, that's not a biased article whatsoever. 

Hang on mate , it’s from the Guardian.

You’re only allowed to say that on here if it’s the Sun or Mail

Forestieri denied it and Pearce, still enraged, sent a message later that evening to a WhatsApp group comprising his two brothers and some close friends: “If anyone ever sees Forestieri swing on him immediately.”

So the article even mentions the fact that Pearce incited violence against Forestieri, but somehow seems to use this fact as supportive evidence for Forestieri's likely guilt seemingly because that's how 'enraged' Pearce was.

Inciting violence is presumably fine by this journalist then so long as you think someone said something offensive to you.

42 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

If a criminal case has come to nothing the FA shouldn’t have any further involvement in my view.

If they were to ban every player who was abusive to an opponent then I’m guessing there’d be a lot of suspensions

Agree. If FA had started an investigation then became aware of a criminal investigation they would have to stop their action. If they elect to restart their investigation surely they would also have to investigate everything that occurred with the incident leading up to the allegation - including the violent conduct of the Mansfield player(s). They can't have one law for one team and another law for another. Having said that if the FA are involved they would argue that black is white and then decide the colour is yellow!

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s the journalist pushing for further investigation; I think the journalist is firstly, saying that further investigation has already started and is secondly, questioning the “absolutely guilty” (based on notion of probability) ridiculous nature of said investigation. 

I think the journo is actually sticking up for Forestieri to a certain extent. 

• Thanks 1

Firstly, Daniel Taylor is a decent journalist and has done some excellent investigative reporting on Barry Bennell and other similar stories (including one on the whole George Hirst/Nigel Pearson/Leicester mess a few months back). He's not arguing for a ban, just stating the inconsistency of the FA's system, which they seem to make up as they go along, by comparing this case to John Terry and Sophie Jones (none of whom were convicted in court). It sounds like from the FA's 'balance of probabilities' rule Forestieri might be facing a hearing.

To be honest - my view: something got the Mansfield player very upset, and considering a) his reaction, and b) that racial insults, whilst considered bad, aren't considered the absolute worst thing in Latin America/Italy the way they are in this particular time in Britain, the 'balance of probability' is he probably said something more than what he admitted in court.

But, a ban would be a very troubling precedent considering that a) there were no witnesses other than the accusing player himself, b) Forestieri has denied it and has several witnesses who support him, c) there is no TV or other evidence (unlike John Terry).

Seeing that Jay Rodriguez was acquitted in a similar case, and Roberto Firmino didn't have a formal charges brought, Forestieri is unlikely to be banned. Otherwise it would be incentivise more cases and claims like this where little or no evidence is presented. Better to draw a line under it now, unless the FA have somehow have more evidence than what was presented in court.

• Thanks 1