3 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Today we had 3 strikers out of the four who got on the pitch who were miles away from match fitness and it showed. FF was one of them. He is a player who relies on high tempo activity and he  wasn’t any worse than Hooper or Winnall.

As for anyone who wants him to play wide left in our current system then look at the amount of work that Reach, Aarons or Boyd get through and ask yourself whether you see FF doing it. 

The answer is no chance and it is a nonsense to suggest he could/would 

I agree from the start....

...,but I do wonder if today he might have been better used off the bench and coming on for the last 20 minutes wide left.

1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I agree from the start....

...,but I do wonder if today he might have been better used off the bench and coming on for the last 20 minutes wide left.

Possibly today , given his level of fitness but it would have left a bit exposed down that side. Bruce is obviously a keep it tight manager and didn’t even take an injured Reach off until the 89th minute because he was worried about Matias defensively.

It is tough for Bruce in selecting strikers at the moment. He basically selected the front two today just to get some minutes in their legs. Not good in an important match.

As for FF going forward once fit.

If he isn’t good enough to start then I would try sell. Absolutely no value in expecting him to be a super sub. 

1 hour ago, prowl said:

He was on fire at the end of last season. It's in there, Bruce just needs to get the best out of him.

As much as we possibly can get for him ......

Complete overhaul for next season..

A team that the manager wants 

Not a team Carlos /Doyen or whoever is responsible for bringing this squad in ...

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

1 hour ago, reesh1 said:

His position is LW for me. How that fits into the system is another thing. Hasn’t done it for 12 months. Let’s sell him and move on. 

For me Reach offers much more from that position that Fessi . 

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Still think he offers something in a 4-1-2-3 or a 4-2-3-1.

If Bruce isn't going to play those systems then I'm not sure where he fits in that maximises his ability and threat. 

I was just reading the thread and thought exactly this! FF would suit 4-3-2-1 system perfectly cutting in from the left driving at the opposition with the ball and less defensive responsibility Sammy Hutchinson sitting back in the middle 3 

8 minutes ago, beechy85 said:

I was just reading the thread and thought exactly this! FF would suit 4-3-2-1 system perfectly cutting in from the left driving at the opposition with the ball and less defensive responsibility Sammy Hutchinson sitting back in the middle 3 

There's one good thing about Bruce (well more than one but you know what I mean!) So far he's shown himself to be pretty flexible with the system so I don't think the shoehorn is going to be a big a problem as it might have been before. 

I think today he just wanted to look at something.  It hasn't really worked so I'm sure he'll adjust how he sees fit. 

4 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Sell him..Get him off the books...Thanks for the memories...

Good player when we signed him, unfortunately too much baggage and problems, last 18 months. 

Has hardly delivered the goods on the pitch either over that period too, as his injury record has been terrible. 

I can't help but think on what we know from on the pitch and other things off it. He seems a devisive figure, not really a "Team" player and quite self indulant and absorbed. 

I agree totally with you bud, we get a bid in the summer then get rid. 

1 hour ago, swfc.4.ever said:

play him on the left assuming Aarons is out, instead on Boyd!

We are not getting relegated. 

If we are to make 6th we need to win most games. Nando v Boyd left in games we need to win is a really simple question. Nando v Aarons is a tougher question acos Nando is way below his best.

FF is coming back from time out on the sidelines! Give him chance!

Reach was the worst player in the side yesterday, not FF. Reach gave several sloppy passes away and didn’t offer any attacking threat down the wing either, much like the game against Blackburn.

28 minutes ago, BingleyOwl said:

Reach was the worst player in the side yesterday, not FF. Reach gave several sloppy passes away and didn’t offer any attacking threat down the wing either, much like the game against Blackburn.

Im sure most fans accept we are not going to see a fully-firing FF, Hooper or Winnall due to their very long-term injury problems. But in the case of Hooper and Winnall, once back we all know their position. With FF, four years on, he looks less like a striker than ever. 

I hope Bruce decides to try him wide, or is forced to try him wide, and that he shows his 15/16 and 16/17 form in that role. 

14 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Im sure most fans accept we are not going to see a fully-firing FF, Hooper or Winnall due to their very long-term injury problems. But in the case of Hooper and Winnall, once back we all know their position. With FF, four years on, he looks less like a striker than ever. 

I hope Bruce decides to try him wide, or is forced to try him wide, and that he shows his 15/16 and 16/17 form in that role. 

How can you be sure about Hooper? Winnall and FF are both younger than Hooper and Hooper has been out for 15 months. I’m sure FF, at 29, has still got a lot

left in his tank. When he starts performing again there’ll be some

eggy faces on here.

Just now, BingleyOwl said:

How can you be sure about Hooper? Winnall and FF are both younger than Hooper and Hooper has been out for 15 months. I’m sure FF, at 29, has still got a lot

left in his tank. When he starts performing again there’ll be some

eggy faces on here.

I didn’t mention Hooper’s fitness. 

Just now, Holmowl said:

I didn’t mention Hooper’s fitness. 

I know. I was presuming you meant that, once Hooper is back to full fitness, he will be playing his usual position. I don’t know why this can’t be the case with FF. 

Is he ending up as one of those players where everyone is thinking *If only he could get a run of games/get back to his best*, but the sad reality is it's just not going to happen?

I fear so, but then recall how brilliant he was at the backend of last season.

Thing is, it's another year of injuries, in/out of the team/, plus the off field stuff. He's becoming a bit of an expensive luxury item. 

The other point would be: who would really pay money for him? He's 29, injury prone and on a very good salary by all accounts. 

I think we just have to hope Bruce can get him somewhere back to his best. 

53 minutes ago, BingleyOwl said:

Agreed, give the lad a break. In and out of the side,court case hanging over him, we cannot expect him to be firing on all cylinders. 

As for reach,the most over rated player in the team, been awful for weeks. 

• Like 1