Jump to content

Recommended Posts

my favourite Ritchie goal was the header at the lane that won the game that sent us to the top of the league …….blunts fans used to sing a song about him having a iron lung for some reason but I've no idea why . 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, brazilowl said:

He always played good against us for stoke so glad we bought him  not sure but didn’t we sell our best winger ( Sissons) just after we bought JR 

 

different eras mate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah then Torry, did Ritchie sign the season that followed the cup final year, so 66-67 season? Trying to work out if he was playing when I went to my first game which was a 2-2 draw with Man Utd at Hillsborough in March/April 1967, it was a night match. Anyone got the programme/team list for that game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Turkey Owl said:

Scored 2 in the first match I saw against Chelsea December 1966. We won 6-1. Think McCalliog and Fantham scored as well. 

Didn't we beat Burnley 7-2 in the same season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Nah then Torry, did Ritchie sign the season that followed the cup final year, so 66-67 season? Trying to work out if he was playing when I went to my first game which was a 2-2 draw with Man Utd at Hillsborough in March/April 1967, it was a night match. Anyone got the programme/team list for that game?

That was my first game as well but I can't remember  the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Terryowl said:

That was my first game as well but I can't remember  the team.

Have just looked it up on tinterweb but only gives the Manure team and Charlton scouting twice for them. Will keep looking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Scoring” not scouting...dib,dib,dib.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Terryowl said:

That was my first game as well but I can't remember  the team.

And Terryowl, how long has Peyia,Cyprus been near Worksop!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Found the info about the 1967 2-2 draw with Manure online. Springett, Smith, Megson, Mobley, Ellis, Pugh, McCalliog, Quinn, Ritchie, Fantham, Usher.

Scorers: Fantham and Ritchie. ( Notably, no Gerry Young or David Ford)

Attendance: 50,000+

Edited by sternlad
More info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Turkey Owl said:

Scored 2 in the first match I saw against Chelsea December 1966. We won 6-1. Think McCalliog and Fantham scored as well. 

He absolutely terrorised the Chelsea defence...we had the first glimpse of what McCalliog was going to be as a midfield general as he ran the show that day. We didn't have a better one until Sheridan arrived at Hillsborough. Along with The Man U 5-4 game that was the greatest team display I've ever seen from Wednesday

Edited by daveyboy66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, torryowl said:

my favourite Ritchie goal was the header at the lane that won the game that sent us to the top of the league …….blunts fans used to sing a song about him having a iron lung for some reason but I've no idea why . 

That was the one that hit the stanchion in the net and bounced back out and McCalliog volleyed it back in. From the Shoreham it looked as though he had hit the post.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brings a tear to the eye, seeing that team sheet, as a 7yr old they were my childhood heroes, standing on the kop with my dad and uncles, with that electric scoreboard glowing bright at night matches. Brilliant. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

He absolutely terrorised the Chelsea defence...we had the first glimpse of what McCalliog was going to be as a midfield general as he ran the show that day. We didn't have a better one until Sheridan arrived at Hillsborough. Along with The Man U 5-4 game that was the greatest team display I've ever seen from Wednesday

Would argue that Tommy Craig was a bit of a general in between those two, even though he was the “only jewel in a shower of  poo ” . Funny but I never saw McCalliog as a playmaker, more your old style inside forward...but then what did I know I were abaht ten!:duntmatter:

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mods don’t like sh**e now, really buggered up my alliterative phrase. WTF:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, gizowl said:

Brings a tear to the eye, seeing that team sheet, as a 7yr old they were my childhood heroes, standing on the kop with my dad and uncles, with that electric scoreboard glowing bright at night matches. Brilliant. 

 

Jumpers for goalposts....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sternlad said:

And Terryowl, how long has Peyia,Cyprus been near Worksop!!!

Never said it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Found the info about the 1967 2-2 draw with Manure online. Springett, Smith, Megson, Mobley, Ellis, Pugh, McCalliog, Quinn, Ritchie, Fantham, Usher.

Scorers: Fantham and Ritchie. ( Notably, no Gerry Young or David Ford)

Attendance: 50,000+

Actually, no Eustace in that line up either. Very elegant player Eustace, could be a bit lightweight, but great control and passing ability...had the game of his life at Elland Road in that FA Cup replay that we won 3-1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Terryowl said:

Never said it was.

Aye but an interesting combo of resting places....are you in the forces or retired out there? If you’re out in Cyprus now, hows the weather?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh we ain’t got a barrel of monnnneyy!! but we’ve got Sinclair and  Sunley ! With Tommy Craig too promotion is due Wednesday.

 

Remember that cracker of a song garymegson

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ritchie was my nickname around that time given by the blunt fans I worked with, cos I was always banging on about him. They used to sing Iron lung about him as previous poster said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...