my favourite Ritchie goal was the header at the lane that won the game that sent us to the top of the league …….blunts fans used to sing a song about him having a iron lung for some reason but I've no idea why . 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, brazilowl said:

He always played good against us for stoke so glad we bought him  not sure but didn’t we sell our best winger ( Sissons) just after we bought JR 

different eras mate 

Nah then Torry, did Ritchie sign the season that followed the cup final year, so 66-67 season? Trying to work out if he was playing when I went to my first game which was a 2-2 draw with Man Utd at Hillsborough in March/April 1967, it was a night match. Anyone got the programme/team list for that game?

2 hours ago, Turkey Owl said:

Scored 2 in the first match I saw against Chelsea December 1966. We won 6-1. Think McCalliog and Fantham scored as well. 

Didn't we beat Burnley 7-2 in the same season?

18 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Nah then Torry, did Ritchie sign the season that followed the cup final year, so 66-67 season? Trying to work out if he was playing when I went to my first game which was a 2-2 draw with Man Utd at Hillsborough in March/April 1967, it was a night match. Anyone got the programme/team list for that game?

That was my first game as well but I can't remember  the team.

5 minutes ago, Terryowl said:

Have just looked it up on tinterweb but only gives the Manure team and Charlton scouting twice for them. Will keep looking.

“Scoring” not scouting...dib,dib,dib.

7 minutes ago, Terryowl said:

And Terryowl, how long has Peyia,Cyprus been near Worksop!!!

Posted (edited)

Found the info about the 1967 2-2 draw with Manure online. Springett, Smith, Megson, Mobley, Ellis, Pugh, McCalliog, Quinn, Ritchie, Fantham, Usher.

Scorers: Fantham and Ritchie. ( Notably, no Gerry Young or David Ford)

Attendance: 50,000+

Edited by sternlad
More info

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Turkey Owl said:

Scored 2 in the first match I saw against Chelsea December 1966. We won 6-1. Think McCalliog and Fantham scored as well. 

He absolutely terrorised the Chelsea defence...we had the first glimpse of what McCalliog was going to be as a midfield general as he ran the show that day. We didn't have a better one until Sheridan arrived at Hillsborough. Along with The Man U 5-4 game that was the greatest team display I've ever seen from Wednesday

Edited by daveyboy66

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

my favourite Ritchie goal was the header at the lane that won the game that sent us to the top of the league …….blunts fans used to sing a song about him having a iron lung for some reason but I've no idea why . 

That was the one that hit the stanchion in the net and bounced back out and McCalliog volleyed it back in. From the Shoreham it looked as though he had hit the post.

Brings a tear to the eye, seeing that team sheet, as a 7yr old they were my childhood heroes, standing on the kop with my dad and uncles, with that electric scoreboard glowing bright at night matches. Brilliant. 

17 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

He absolutely terrorised the Chelsea defence...we had the first glimpse of what McCalliog was going to be as a midfield general as he ran the show that day. We didn't have a better one until Sheridan arrived at Hillsborough. Along with The Man U 5-4 game that was the greatest team display I've ever seen from Wednesday

Would argue that Tommy Craig was a bit of a general in between those two, even though he was the “only jewel in a shower of  poo ” . Funny but I never saw McCalliog as a playmaker, more your old style inside forward...but then what did I know I were abaht ten!:duntmatter:

• Agree 1

Mods don’t like sh**e now, really buggered up my alliterative phrase. WTF:

17 minutes ago, gizowl said:

Brings a tear to the eye, seeing that team sheet, as a 7yr old they were my childhood heroes, standing on the kop with my dad and uncles, with that electric scoreboard glowing bright at night matches. Brilliant. 

Jumpers for goalposts....

1 hour ago, sternlad said:

And Terryowl, how long has Peyia,Cyprus been near Worksop!!!

Never said it was.

56 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Found the info about the 1967 2-2 draw with Manure online. Springett, Smith, Megson, Mobley, Ellis, Pugh, McCalliog, Quinn, Ritchie, Fantham, Usher.

Scorers: Fantham and Ritchie. ( Notably, no Gerry Young or David Ford)

Attendance: 50,000+

Actually, no Eustace in that line up either. Very elegant player Eustace, could be a bit lightweight, but great control and passing ability...had the game of his life at Elland Road in that FA Cup replay that we won 3-1.

4 minutes ago, Terryowl said:

Never said it was.

Aye but an interesting combo of resting places....are you in the forces or retired out there? If you’re out in Cyprus now, hows the weather?

Oh we ain’t got a barrel of monnnneyy!! but we’ve got Sinclair and  Sunley ! With Tommy Craig too promotion is due Wednesday.

Remember that cracker of a song garymegson

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ritchie was my nickname around that time given by the blunt fans I worked with, cos I was always banging on about him. They used to sing Iron lung about him as previous poster said.