FF In court this am

9 hours ago, Elderly Owl said:

Well said Squonk! Clearly a highly intelligent, intuitive and perceptive summary for which you should receive emeritus status.

Common sense in a difficult world.

Not guilty does not mean innocent. ... Acquittals do not answer, nor even address, the question of whether defendants are factually innocent.   (Googled this)

• Haha 1

My opinion is with FF being a high profile person and with it being a charge of racism the Police had to be seen to take it seriously.

If it hadn't gone to court the police were worried they would be seen as sweeping it under the carpet.

Think an average person on the street charges would have been dropped months ago due to lack of evidence.

All in all seemed a waste of tax payers money yesterday. 

54 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Not guilty does not mean innocent. ... Acquittals do not answer, nor even address, the question of whether defendants are factually innocent.   (Googled this)

A lot of people lose sight of this. Also a not guilty verdict does not mean that whathisface was lying about being racially abused.

I don't know. I'll assume FF was innocent.

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

Except perhaps in Scotland where they have the third option of "Not Proven".

Just now, Mycroft said:

Erm but were not in Scotland... but I take your point. 

I think that verdict should also be adopted in England and Wales. It would stop people that have got away on legal technicalities spouting off triumphantly about being innocent.

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

I always thought our criminal justice system is based on the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. The prosecution in this case failed to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt so the accused is innocent ?

4 minutes ago, oldowl67 said:

I always thought our criminal justice system is based on the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. The prosecution in this case failed to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt so the accused is innocent ?

Yep, the drawback of having only two judiciary outcomes. But "not guilty" never has indicated that someone definitely has not committed the crime in question. Only that they carry the presumption of innocence.

Edited by ChinaOwl

38 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

My opinion is with FF being a high profile person and with it being a charge of racism the Police had to be seen to take it seriously.

If it hadn't gone to court the police were worried they would be seen as sweeping it under the carpet.

Think an average person on the street charges would have been dropped months ago due to lack of evidence.

All in all seemed a waste of tax payers money yesterday. 

I agree with this...

...except that the police haven't been seen to be taking it seriously.

If the earlier Twitter post is accurate, the investigating officer only interviewed the accused, the accuser and Flitcroft. And Flitcroft's evidence seemed to be "the 4th official told me something racist has gone off". As a minimum, why wasn't the 4th official interviewed, and the ref, and Jos and... The officer might have been offended at FF's lawyer implying an inadequate investigation, but the implication seems to be correct. On what's been posted, it seems to me that the police have taken it far from seriously.

The police may well have felt obliged, especially if pressed by the Mansfield player, to take the case to court, but the officer's boss should have told him to go back and do a proper job. Or perhaps he did do a proper job, but no one heard anything, maybe no one was able to back up the allegation. At which point the police should have had the courage to say there's insufficient evidence to get a conviction and they shouldn't be swayed by external influences into taking the case to court.

Having thought about it a bit more as I write, the investigation seems so frivolous that you could run an argument that maybe the police wanted a not guilty verdict. 

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Come on admit it .............................................................................you're just trying to get this thread to 20 pages. :Sid:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, We'llNeverBeMastered said:

And now hes tweeted pictures of him and bielsa. He doesn't help himself sometimes does he.

Don't worry.

Last time I checked, the transfer window has been shut for two months. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

With regards to what FF did it didn’t say. We will never know the truth. If the Mansfield player did lie then he’s an utter prat and deserves to be punished. I’m 100% not accusing FF of saying what he’s been accused of, but I ask why would anyone drag him to court, have months of stress (stressful for FF too), risk a huge backlash, put so much time and effort into something if he didn’t believe he was racially abused. The alleged victim gains nothing.

It would provide some justification for all the shenanigans, flying kicks etc that happened that day. 

5 hours ago, We'llNeverBeMastered said:

And now hes tweeted pictures of him and bielsa. He doesn't help himself sometimes does he.

Were they in the bushes behind our training ground? FF must have hoofed it over the fence and had to go fetch it.

Edit....and by it, I mean the ball. :rolleyes:

Edited by roaminowl

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Really hope he can have a good end of the season for us. Do people think he will be sold in the summer? Personally I think he will be either because we need the money or he wants to move on 

Think he will stay. He's worth next to nothing these days given his age and recent injury record. And I just can't see chansiri letting him go on the cheap.

I also suspect Bruce will be keen to see whether he can get him back somewhere close to his best.