Posted (edited)

Any ideas ?

Edited by Reallondonowl

According football grounds guide there is one near the away end , attached to a hotel or something , big chain branded one.

If going by train there are a few near the station but apparently the police will 'guide' fans to their designated pubs from the station.

Uttoxeter on way down is a good shout if you're going on mini bus or coach. Called there when we played em in cup. Decent boozers n plenty of Wednesday fans.

25 minutes ago, Justbeanz said:

Uttoxeter on way down is a good shout if you're going on mini bus or coach. Called there when we played em in cup. Decent boozers n plenty of Wednesday fans.

Race meeting there Saturday so town center pubs will be very busy, racecourse is within walking distance.

Last time we went to Stoke on a Saturday they were only hotel near ground which has a pub attached, we arrived very early and parked car there but after a bit they were turning people away at door, especially large groups of fans. 

Best place for drinking is probably stopping off at Leek or Ashbourne on way. 

1 minute ago, bradowl said:

Race meeting there Saturday so town center pubs will be very busy, racecourse is within walking distance.

Last time we went to Stoke on a Saturday they were only hotel near ground which has a pub attached, we arrived very early and parked car there but after a bit they were turning people away at door, especially large groups of fans. 

Best place for drinking is probably stopping off at Leek or Ashbourne on way. 

Cheers mate, I wasn't aware of the race meeting. Back to the drawing board then.

Who's been on the train before ?

I live in Leek and its a great little market town for a drink with over 15 pubs just in the centre alone . The Green Dragon which is a Weatherspoons will be open from 8 o’clock. Plenty of cafes / Greggs or subway to grab a bite to eat . Probably need to leave for the ground for about 1.30 tho as traffic and parking around Stoke can be a pain . 

Ps I’m still after 2 tickets myself or I’m in the home end ! 

I live in Uttoxeter, it's not a big race meeting this weekend so will be fine for anyone stopping off. 6 or 7 boozers all within 200 yards of each other. If anyone wants any tips etc just let me know.

Posted (edited)

Lived in stoke for just over three years, best boozers for away fans is either The Terrace or The Verve/Venue bar (owner by Staffs uni) on Leek road both within 5 mins walking distance.  The local Weatherspoons in Stoke town is mainly a home pub only I believe, which is shame as only a quick walk from the station. 

Closer to the stadium is a Power League, which they used to (not 100% if still do) accommodate for both home and away fans and is a 5 min walk from the away end.

If you’ve got a bit of time could always head into Newcastle Under Lyme (10mins by taxi) or Hanley (5mins in a taxi), local taxi firm number: 01782613456.  

Shuttle bus from the station to stadium is a £4 return.  

Edited by Olly1996

1 hour ago, boston-owl said:

I live in Uttoxeter, it's not a big race meeting this weekend so will be fine for anyone stopping off. 6 or 7 boozers all within 200 yards of each other. If anyone wants any tips etc just let me know.

Tips on how to get served in Wetherspoons will be most welcome :dry:

Thanks all. I might try Longton Rugby club which is 10 minutes from ground and serves good grub. Arriving from London on train so will have plenty of time.

22 hours ago, Watto said:

Who's been on the train before ?

Once, when we played first game of the season. Everyone was put in the pub opposite the station the ferried to the ground in double decker buses. Don’t recall been given any other choice tbh. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Justbeanz said:

Tips on how to get served in Wetherspoons will be most welcome :dry:

Or tips on how to find the toilets without having to go on a Tolkein-esque quest. 

We're gonna try Uttoxeter but if its rammed with racegoers might head on to Stone. Anyone know what its like for a drink there ?

Stone is ok, you will be fine in Uttoxeter, recommend the micropub called the horse and dove. It opens at 12.30 right in the middle of town but because slightly later opening time will be quiet compared to spoons for example.

• Thanks 1

Will be arriving for 12 ish at main station where's everyone heading? And is shuttle bus 30mins drive? 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Justbeanz said:

We're gonna try Uttoxeter but if its rammed with racegoers might head on to Stone. Anyone know what its like for a drink there ?

Only sells Stones so I've heard.

Edited by 1867_OWL

7 hours ago, 1867_OWL said:

Only sells Stones so I've heard.

Bet you had to rack your brains for that one.