Birmingham immediate 9 point deduction..does it affect us?

1 minute ago, Dronfield_SWFC said:

No wonder they are laughing

Slate wiped clean and can now spend what they want for next season

Don't think the slate will be wiped clean.

I would guess the bit about no further financial penalties just means no fine on top of the points deduction.

39 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

I'm thinking the same but have they now set a precedent, how much over were they?, £30M rings a bell

2pts penalty for every £10M (might not even be that, given brum took the pish and signed a player while under embargo)

Can see a rule change coming this summer...

There has to be or you’re looking at the possibility of a third of the league starting the next season or two with points deductions which makes the competition farcical?

We really should take the hit this season if we can. 

Shed all the out of contracts and we could chuck 20-30 million at it without any sanctions for another 36 months

EFL have completely lost the plot with FFP if the sanction on Brum is true 

1 hour ago, e6owl said:

I think (hope) we're not at as much risk as they are. Especially as they knowingly broke the rules by singing a player whilst under embargo. My understanding is that we've been much more co-operative.

Although I am scared of finding out what exactly we did to sign Iorfa, Aarons and Lazaar in January when we were told we had no money.

I would think the money from the Chelsea cup game paid for Ifora .

Maximum penalty is 12 points isn’t it?

Begs the question.... what was stopping us spending all our money in January, or at the start of the season, take the 12 point deduction this season and then have a squad capable of winning the league with no points deduction next season? 

32 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The current system isn't fit for purpose.

I understand the drive to prevent reckless overspending, but whilst there remains a massively uneven playing field created by parachute payments, clubs will try to find ways to overcome these stacked odds - a drive which is all the more understandable when you consider that wealthy owners with cash to invest in the clubs they own are being prevented from doing so by the arbitrary figures dreamt up by those in charge of the game. Meanwhile, clubs such as Wolves who stick two fingers up to the regulations and manage to get promoted are untouchable, whilst those who gamble and lose are punished further.

The EFL need to go back to the drawing board and come up with a system which doesn't punish ambition backed up by proven resources.

Great point in bold. Always say if club/owner can prove funds they should be able to spend what they like. The currentl figure of £39m over 3 years in this market is frankly insulting. Especially when some clubs have parachute payments and a clear head start.

Also good points made about those who are only punished when failing, yet the winners don’t get squat.

They broke the rules and are deservedly punished. What is wrong is a club like Bolton who aren’t paying staff on time and not paying the tax man aren’t punished unless they go into administration... but Birmingham are punished for spending what their wealthy owners can afford. The standards are so wrong.

14 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

Birmingham mail, bbc & sky all reporting they will face no further economic sanctions and no more transfer embargo’s.

Accounting period reset, and back onto a new 3 year cycle 

thanks

i need to spend time looking into the detail  because i understand that that's it for this year but imo that is utterly ridiculous 

43 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

Birmingham mail, bbc & sky all reporting they will face no further economic sanctions and no more transfer embargo’s.

Accounting period reset, and back onto a new 3 year cycle 

That's a great result for them if true, no real danger of going down and free to spend next season. 

53 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

If this happens it will take yonks to resolve and presumably the League will not be allowed to punish others while the case is ongoing for fear of affecting the case, setting precedent etc.

Given what people are saying about the slate being wiped clean there is zero chance of this going to court. My issue is that Wednesday have toed the line when under embargo and multiple other clubs have also abided by the rules. If they wipe the slate clean with the worst offenders, they simply have to do the same with us and everyone else facing sanctions. My hope is that they’re waiting to see if we reach the playoffs. If we don’t, I expect that we will suffer a similar fate to Brum (though probably only a fine). They then need to scrap the whole thing as it’s not fit for purpose.

1 minute ago, Maxine said:

Wow they got away lightly if that's an end to it. 

Forgive me EFL, for I have sinned.

OK, 9 points and an "Imposed Business Plan" for the remainder of the season.
No fine or transfer embargo for the summer ahead but no absolution for past sins.
Your past 2 accounting periods you shall drag behind you for the rest of your days.
If you fall foul of the  £39m limit again we will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger.

If I were DC I'd go mental in the summer assembling a promotion squad, assuming we aren't embargoed (in which case we may as well give up).....factor in the points deduction, which will be 6 points by the time Brum have appealed and watch the EFL poo themselves trying to find a good time to try and deduct points when were firmly in the promotion mix. 

24 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

They are effectively being punished for the last 3 yr period of going over 39m.

I guess from a legal point of view they cannot be punished for the same thing twice so therefore the accounting period has to start again.

but that last 3 years is not a fixed period it is a rolling 3 years 

Doesn't sound like it's reset and Brum can just spunk loads of money again in the summer to me....

Sky Sports News understands Birmingham will remain with an "Imposed Business Plan" for the remainder of this season, which means they have to share and discuss all significant financial dealings with the EFL.

It is understood the club are not now under a 'soft embargo' and they will not face a transfer window ban this summer, but discussions about the future will continue with the EFL.

Birmingham, like all clubs, will have to publish their annual accounts later this year, and if they fall foul of the permissible £39m losses over the previous three years again, they may face further punishment

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, RichieB said:

Doesn't sound like it's reset and Brum can just spunk loads of money again in the summer to me....

Sky Sports News understands Birmingham will remain with an "Imposed Business Plan" for the remainder of this season, which means they have to share and discuss all significant financial dealings with the EFL.

It is understood the club are not now under a 'soft embargo' and they will not face a transfer window ban this summer, but discussions about the future will continue with the EFL.

Birmingham, like all clubs, will have to publish their annual accounts later this year, and if they fall foul of the permissible £39m losses over the previous three years again, they may face further punishment

and that has to be the case surely 

i'm sure some dont understand the concept of rolling 3 years 

All the EFL have said is that there "will be no further financial penalties for the club, nor would they be under a future transfer embargo relating to this issue." 

As far as I can see, that relates to breaches this season. It makes no reference to 'wiping the slate clean' or 'resetting the 3 year rolling accounts'. They start the next season under the same conditions as before, if they don't take steps to reign in their spending (like we  and other clubs did with the embargo) and stick to it, they will fail the P&S tests next season and face a similar, or possibly harsher, points deduction. 

No idea where folk are getting the slate wiped clean stuff, I've seen nothing from the EFL even coming close to saying that.