Birmingham immediate 9 point deduction..does it affect us?

2 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

So the EFL basically wait until they won't go up, or down, and then deduct their points. 

Cracking decision making.

The whole thing is a complete an utter farce.

I'm thinking the same but have they now set a precedent, how much over were they?, £30M rings a bell

2pts penalty for every £10M (might not even be that, given brum took the pish and signed a player while under embargo)

Can see a rule change coming this summer...

9 minutes ago, JOHNHARKES said:

But if it means 9 points and slate clean and they can spend again. Id take that now. Rather than be embargoed for next two windows. 

It won't as far as I know the whole thing is a 3 year rolling 39m loss cap 

i suspect a few clubs would take that hit to clear their books if that were the case which it isn't 

Our position is nothing like Brums, after being handed a soft embargo they signed a fullback for £2.5m. I think that p***ed off the league and plenty of clubs like us who once hit with an embargo have done as the EFL have instructed.

Looking more at own position and listening to Bruce's recent comments about the players who are due to be out of contract and us possibly "selling one or two", I think that Bruce and Chansiri have sat down and come up with a plan for the club going forward that'll enable us to not fall foul of FFP again in the near future.

I wouldn't be surprised if Abdi, Jones, Boyd, Matias, Hooper and Lee were all released in the summer freeing up around £110k a week or £5.7m a year (rough estimate), straight away that gives us breathing space. I then wouldn't be surprised if we see one of or both Reach and Forestieri leave the club for decent fees.

All of this combined wit the new recruitment structure at the club should enable Bruce to wheel and deal and use his contacts to build a competitive squad whilst working within FFP.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steelowl said:

It won't as far as I know the whole thing is a 3 year rolling 39m loss cap 

i suspect a few clubs would take that hit to clear their books if that were the case which it isn't 

It reads as if no more punishment will be dished out over these losses and they are free to spend again 

The current system isn't fit for purpose.

I understand the drive to prevent reckless overspending, but whilst there remains a massively uneven playing field created by parachute payments, clubs will try to find ways to overcome these stacked odds - a drive which is all the more understandable when you consider that wealthy owners with cash to invest in the clubs they own are being prevented from doing so by the arbitrary figures dreamt up by those in charge of the game. Meanwhile, clubs such as Wolves who stick two fingers up to the regulations and manage to get promoted are untouchable, whilst those who gamble and lose are punished further.

The EFL need to go back to the drawing board and come up with a system which doesn't punish ambition backed up by proven resources.

3 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

It reads as if no more punishment will be dished out over these losses and they are free to spend again 

If that is the case they will have to do the same for everybody. Otherwise they’ve given the naughty boys an almighty competitive advantage over clubs like ours who have toed the line when placed under an embargo. And if they have to wipe the slate clean for everyone they may as well just scrap the whole idea.

I've just had a quick look on one of the BCFC forums and they are absolutely delighted.  They are reading it as slate wiped and free to trade, which is all they are bothered about.  Apparently there is some tweet going around that says the signing of the player was not an aggravating factor.  If this is all correct, its an absolutely shocking state of affairs.  The EFL is really out of touch with this.  Surely there isn't a clean slate otherwise what message does that send?

Still it could backfire if they go down.  5 points off relegation and in crap form. 

1 minute ago, spike1867 said:

I've just had a quick look on one of the BCFC forums and they are absolutely delighted.  They are reading it as slate wiped and free to trade, which is all they are bothered about.  Apparently there is some tweet going around that says the signing of the player was not an aggravating factor.  If this is all correct, its an absolutely shocking state of affairs.  The EFL is really out of touch with this.  Surely there isn't a clean slate otherwise what message does that send?

Still it could backfire if they go down.  5 points off relegation and in crap form. 

sorry but seems ridiculous IF true that a slap on the wrist (cos that's what this is to going nowhere a middle of the table team ) can seeming expunge a years overspend   

obviously me but just don't get how this fits into the 3 year rolling period anyone enlighten me ?

45 minutes ago, e6owl said:

Although I am scared of finding out what exactly we did to sign Iorfa, Aarons and Lazaar in January when we were told we had no money.

I assume it will have been being transparent over the amount of players out of contract soon and that we are likely to retain circa 2/3 out of the 10* and bin off all 4 loans.  Iorfa was peanuts, in the grand scheme of things.  

*I don't think we can really count Neilsen, Preston and O'Grady, as I imagine their wages are teeny.  

25 minutes ago, The Regulator said:

Hope Birmingham take them to court over it regardless of the size of the points deduction. While ever there is money flooding down from the PL inflating transfer fees and wages that we have to try and compete with, P&S is unfair, anti-competitive and in need of a serious rethink.

If this happens it will take yonks to resolve and presumably the League will not be allowed to punish others while the case is ongoing for fear of affecting the case, setting precedent etc.

1 minute ago, Box_Man said:

It does look like it’s a clean slate, based on what’s coming out of Birmingham.

If it really is true that’s very lenient...let’s get this sorted take a circa 6 point deduction now, and go for it next season.

link mate ?

3 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

All of this combined wit the new recruitment structure at the club should enable Bruce to wheel and deal and use his contacts to build a competitive squad whilst working within FFP.

Trouble is though, what if a team...a wolves for instance... were to say bollllox to that, 9pts that's all we will get...go for it.

While the rest of clubs play fair, you not only have the bent parachute payments but rogue chairman to compete with

9 pts won't scare anyone off...P&S/FFP will be changed and possibly why brum were treated so leniently.

If it were Norwich they would prob still go up with a 9pt deduction anyway. (although cos of parachute payments no need to worry about P&S )

Unless they are planning punishments depending where you are in the league, as always the EFL and the P&S committee have fooooked up again.

In pure financial terms we will have funded the January incomings , Iorfa etc from the money we made from the Chelsea game.

This money couldn’t have been in any budgets or statements given to the League as we didn’t know we would get it.

No idea whether that means we can just spend it or not under our agreement with the League 

14 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Our position is nothing like Brums, after being handed a soft embargo they signed a fullback for £2.5m. I think that p***ed off the league and plenty of clubs like us who once hit with an embargo have done as the EFL have instructed.

Looking more at own position and listening to Bruce's recent comments about the players who are due to be out of contract and us possibly "selling one or two", I think that Bruce and Chansiri have sat down and come up with a plan for the club going forward that'll enable us to not fall foul of FFP again in the near future.

I wouldn't be surprised if Abdi, Jones, Boyd, Matias, Hooper and Lee were all released in the summer freeing up around £110k a week or £5.7m a year (rough estimate), straight away that gives us breathing space. I then wouldn't be surprised if we see one of or both Reach and Forestieri leave the club for decent fees.

Who in their right mind is going to pay a decent fee for Forestieri ?

30 in January injury prone and that's without the problem of finding a club who could match his wages.

Cannot see any Premiership club being intrested in him and very few in the Championship could afford his wages.

Can only see him leaving on a free or nominal fee.