The curious case of Reda Johnson’s age

9 hours ago, Marpals said:

He was a truly awful defender, any time a player went past him (which was often) is only option was to pull them or their shirt, he would have been more suited to Rugby, Scored a few goals mind.

But i think the fact he hasn't played league football for years tells you all you need to know.

He was awful at CB but did a very good job for us at left-back, was key to our promotion and did a job at this level. The reason he is playing non-league football is more as a result of his persistent injury issues than his ability.

The move to left back was the making of him. Fantastic player for us that season, a key part of why we went up and then a key part of why we stayed up. Sad that injuries ended his time here.

Off the pitch a gentle giant, fantastic figure for the club. Great fella.

10 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I still don't get the OP's apparent surprise at Johnson's age.

Are we supposed to have thought he was much older or much younger?

I thought he was at least 10 years older and it appears many others thought the same! 

34 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

I thought he was at least 10 years older and it appears many others thought the same! 

Are you kidding? Ten years older? That would have made him 32 instead of 22 when we signed him. Nobody else has commentated about his age on this thread.:blush:

On 22/03/2019 at 09:31, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I could be wrong, but I believe what happened is that 31 years ago he was born, and then 31 years later he turned 31.

You know a similar thing happened to me when I turned 32. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I don't think that's quite true, I think the reason he ended up there is because they were the highest-ranked club willing to offer him a contract that wasn't just pay-as-you-play.

At the time Eastleigh were chucking money around like crazy, they had loads of players dropping down the league's like Ryan Cresswell to sign for them. 4k a week wont be far out. Since then Eastleigh's owner has lost interest in his toy and they are having to cut their cloth. 

Where do people get this idea that pay as you play contracts are a thing anyway? 

Edited by Not Jon Newsome