Learn from rugby mr C ?

I was at twickenham a couple of weeks ago for the England game.

After the game all the bars and loads of food places stayed open. An amateur band then started playing a load of popular cover songs.

Result was thousands stayed behind singing along. Brilliant atmosphere with thousands of £££££s being spent at the ground, rather than elsewhere.

Just a thought, but why not try and capture the market at hillsborough. Make it an event rather than just 90 minutes of football

Edited by wakefieldowl

1 minute ago, wakefieldowl said:

After the game all the bars and loads of food places stayed open. An amateur band then started playing a liad of popular cover songs.

Result was thousands stayed behind singing along. Brilliant atmosphere with thousands of £££££s being spent at the ground, rather than elsewhere.

Just a thought, but why not try and capture the market at hillsborough. Make it an event rather than just 90 minutes of football

Great thought and totally agree.

I also occasionally go to RU internationals BUT unfortunately a minority of football fans have a different mentality and agenda.

20 minutes ago, vulva said:

I just want to get home. 5 Nations is a bit different to Wigan at home and Mattias falling over whilst some tart reminds me for the 8th time I can’t exit via Leppings Lane. And the bloke next to me smells like a zoo. 

I just want want to get off not hang about in the rain listening to Clive from Burnley pretending he’s Bono. 

Brilliant 

I’d rather leave at full time and go pointing fingers at away fans than stop behind, half conscious due to the phantom farter, than watch some cover band prancing around. 

Edit: Vulva summed it up pretty well... he’s not bad though that Clive bloke from Burnley. 

Edited by robowl4life
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

After the game all the bars and loads of food places stayed open. An amateur band then started playing a load of popular cover songs.

Reason why I love rugby is it's a great day out win lose or draw and that's club or country. Twickenham especially is always a great crack pre and post game.

Wednesday is different though, I don't want to celebrate straight after the game if it's been garbage.

Lancs Cricket do this quite well after their Friday night T20 Games. Stay on and watch a band and have a few drinks with friends or before heading into town.

Totally different crowd to football though and in the summer months - would never catch on imo after a footy match.

Two totally different cultures. In terms of football clubs who do this sort of thing I can't think of one. Rugby is more of a day out as people travel from all over the country. Football fans just want to get home at the end of a match, it's the nature of the beast.

• Like 1

There are 2 things football could do with taking from rugby:

1) Referees should take the same no nonsense attitude as rugby refs. Players (and I would imagine fans to an extent) would start behaving a bit better if they stamped their authority on the game a bit more. Chat back, yellow card. Shout abuse, yellow card. Etc etc. If Nigel Owens, a 5ft 6 openly gay, openly bulimic man can command the respect of thirty 6ft 6, 23st players, then I don't see why football referees can't deal with 22 petulant footballers.

2) Football fans (the nawty minority anyway) could take a leaf out of the rugby fans behaviour at matches. I've watched England vs Wales at the Millennium stadium, sat amongst the home fans, wearing an England shirt and openly cheering and the only thing that happened was that when a Welsh fan spilt my pint, he apologised and bought me another one. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, vulva said:

I just want to get home. 5 Nations is a bit different to Wigan at home and Mattias falling over whilst some tart reminds me for the 8th time I can’t exit via Leppings Lane. And the bloke next to me smells like a zoo. 

I just want want to get off not hang about in the rain listening to Clive from Burnley pretending he’s Bono. 

Was thinking summat similar but.......well this post nails it.

9 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

Not a bad call, and for those who weren’t bothered, the covers band would help by getting the ground emptied as quickly as possible Win win

Edited by gurujuan

6 hours ago, Minton said:

There are 2 things football could do with taking from rugby:

1) Referees should take the same no nonsense attitude as rugby refs. Players (and I would imagine fans to an extent) would start behaving a bit better if they stamped their authority on the game a bit more. Chat back, yellow card. Shout abuse, yellow card. Etc etc. If Nigel Owens, a 5ft 6 openly gay, openly bulimic man can command the respect of thirty 6ft 6, 23st players, then I don't see why football referees can't deal with 22 petulant footballers.

2) Football fans (the nawty minority anyway) could take a leaf out of the rugby fans behaviour at matches. I've watched England vs Wales at the Millennium stadium, sat amongst the home fans, wearing an England shirt and openly cheering and the only thing that happened was that when a Welsh fan spilt my pint, he apologised and bought me another one. 

I agree 100% with your first point but don't you find non segregated fans at a stadium a bit boring? I often go to watch London Irish and i know they don't get the numbers to really generate an atmosphere but there is something lacking when you don't get fans playing off each other. I don't mean violence i just mean atmosphere.