I bet Liam Palmer will never forget his Scotland debut

1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:

:laugh: Played well? He was flipping terrible. Hopefully that’s his first and last game. Palmer, Bain and Shinnie should never get anywhere near a Scotland shirt again. 

I find your comments a bit confusing , so you think Palmer played terrible ,why ?   It was his first cap playing alongside defenders he had only just teamed up with , all things considered was he really that bad ? 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

I find your comments a bit confusing , so you think Palmer played terrible ,why ?   It was his first cap playing alongside defenders he had only just teamed up with , all things considered was he really that bad ? 

He was part of a Scotland defence that has conceded 3 goals to a terrible team, he was solely responsible for the 3rd goal, he contributed nothing going forward and he has taken part in the worst Scotland result in my entire lifetime.

Was he really that bad? Yes. He was diabolical and not one of them deserve to be defended.  

I bet he's looking forward to his next game for Scotland

Against the mighty footballing nation that is Krakozhia

Wonder what the odds are for a Krakozhia victory??? They must be the favourites for the match. 

Edited by katie melua

49 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

He was part of a Scotland defence that has conceded 3 goals to a terrible team, he was solely responsible for the 3rd goal, he contributed nothing going forward and he has taken part in the worst Scotland result in my entire lifetime.

Was he really that bad? Yes. He was diabolical and not one of them deserve to be defended.  

How is the 3rd goal solely the fault of the right-back? Palmer has allowed him to cross the ball from deep - about 15-20 yards shy of even reaching level with the penalty area. 95% of the time players, fans, managers would say let him cross from that deep, we should be able to deal with that. 2 on 2 in the penalty area, the keeper is completely rooted to the spot and McKenna's pathetic jump makes Nuhiu look like he leaps like a salmon when challenging for headers.

One of your best chances came from a Palmer cross but Forrest chose to pass the ball back to the keeper from 8 yards rather than beat him.

I am sure your'e hurting but don't put the blame on our Liam! :duntmatter:

1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:

Now that's a more level headed comment.

I watched the game and would be laying the blame at McLeish's feet, totally inept set up and tactics.

First shot on goal 55mins. says it all, even though you had 59% possession, so that's not down to the right back is it.

Liam was no worse than most of the team, better than some, so probably not the best forum to come on and slag him off, given his recent performances for us.

Understand your frustration, that's football BUT TBH brought a smile to my face, as others have pointed out.

Palmer has performed well in a decent Championship team which is settled and where he has decent players around him.

National teams are a different beast. Scotland are even more different. I frankly couldn’t care less if the jocks get pasted by every Stan. Every island. Every two bit team cobbled out of amateurs.  They are not and never have been a strong international team.

Palmer has played well for Wednesday. Good enough for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Half the teams in the SPFL would give some English Championship clubs a decent game nevermind not being able to make it in League 1. 

We don’t have a large pool of players I agree but Palmer is 3rd choice and right back is arguably our weakest position. From that performance he is nowhere near good enough for international football. 

From one terrible team performance he isn't good enough?

You might be in a huff but to judge anyone on one game is laughable.

Oh and which SPL teams would give decent games? The ones that have fallen miles off the pace in a title race.

Or the ones battling relegation?

I watched the first 20 minutes, thought Liam did OK. Obviously Scotland fans will not see any positives from it and nor should they but from a 'Wednesday fan watching' point of view he did OK, got through it without getting injured. That's all I was really bothered about.

Seen quite a few Wednesday fans slating him, it's almost like they've waited for him to have a less than good game before slagging him off. The biggest irony of it is that it wasn't for Wednesday, so who, in reality, cares?*

*Except Liam himself obviously.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

:laugh: Played well? He was flipping terrible. Hopefully that’s his first and last game. Palmer, Bain and Shinnie should never get anywhere near a Scotland shirt again. 

I'm not Palmer's biggest fan, but he's still got more international caps to his name than anyone else on OT (probably).

Any time a Wednesday player represents his country it should be celebrated, not criticised. 

Well done Liam, despite the result. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So long as it doesn't affect his performance in a Wednesday shirt I don't really care how he does playing for Scotland.

I'm sure he'll get more caps just down to the fact that their pool of talent is less and it only takes a couple of injuries or players to pull out of the squad for him to jump the queue. 

Drawing Scotland in a qualifier is seen as a bye for whoever they come up against.

Well Done to Palmer on his first appearance but hopefully he won't get picked too often. Imagine playing in that side every international week he will come back with confidence shattered.

Nowt like professional sport to kick you in the b0ll0cks. In the blink of an eye, turns a highlight of your career into a nightmare. I actually thought Palmer was ok. 

Just emphasises once again the level of mental fortitude required.

Pretty sure he'll return to some Brucey love, he'll wrap an arm around him and tell him to crack on with the best season he's had in a Wednesday shirt. 

6 hours ago, Lythamowl said:

They play San Marino next! :laugh:

San Marino should consider resting some of their better players.  The Super Marios are gonna need their big guns fit and ready for when they play the football gods of Kazakhstan.

Even though their fixture on Sunday against Scotland is a 6-pointer.

9 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

I really hope it's Palmer's last game for your lot too.  Playing for that group of no-hopers is enough to erode any decent player's confidence.  It's no wonder why so many of Scotland's players become 'unavailable' once International week comes around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, LittleG said:

Could be his one and only appearance!

If so, he probably regrets ever featuring for Scotland, as it's blocked his chance of playing international football for England!

lol

4 hours ago, Morepork said:

Nowt like professional sport to kick you in the b0ll0cks. In the blink of an eye, turns a highlight of your career into a nightmare. I actually thought Palmer was ok. 

Just emphasises once again the level of mental fortitude required.

Pretty sure he'll return to some Brucey love, he'll wrap an arm around him and tell him to crack on with the best season he's had in a Wednesday shirt. 

Not just Bruce, hopefully our fans can lift him too on his next outing. One of our own after all, despite his Scottish antics.