Wednesday Players You Liked That Turner Out to be Guff

I was expecting a lot from Paul Smith. But that's hardly surprising as Chris Turner had described him as the best crosser of a ball in the country after David Beckham.

A twenty yard volley the first time I saw him persuaded me that turner might be on to something.

Later discovered that most of those 'crosses' Turner promised would be from the half way line and little more than punts into the box as the lad had zero pace and couldn't beat a man.

Guest Bulgaria
47 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

Let's be honest - Nicol, Harkeness, Barrett, Ripley or Ekoku were never expected to do great things.

Who was that central midfielder from Luton Town? Big hopes for him at the time. Circa 2002.

Scott oakes?

57 minutes ago, folger said:

Giles Coke looked like a world beater when he signed. Darren Potter was like a budget Gerrard on loan and we all know what happened with him.

Stevie May was a waste chased the ball like a schoolboy. Darren Purse had a stormer for Cardiff when we beat them but to this day he's the worst defensive player I have seen in a Wednesday shirt. 

Purse wasn’t that bad. He spent half his career here covering Reda who the fans loved because he ran ‘abart a reight lot’ and dived into tackles in front of the North Stand. 

I honestly thought Stevie May was going to be our hero.

and to some extent i still feel he could have been, unlucky with injuries and playing with average players. 

He was scoring goals for fun before he came here. (Albeit in Scotland, but 30 goals in a season is decent)

After he left us he's had a pretty bad ACL injury and now can't score in Scotland. 

Feel really sorry for him actually.

1 hour ago, Mr Hooper said:

and to some extent i still feel he could have been, unlucky with injuries and playing with average players. 

He was scoring goals for fun before he came here. (Albeit in Scotland, but 30 goals in a season is decent)

After he left us he's had a pretty bad ACL injury and now can't score in Scotland. 

When we signed him (remember the billion page thread on here as we competed with, er, Rotherham for his signature!) we thought we were getting an absolute beast because he was Scottish and had long hair, a beard and tattoos.

But we got a player who was as weak as a kitten and scampered about a lot like a puppy in carpet slippers. Was amazed when we actually managed to make a profit on him when we sold him to Preston.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, alanharper said:

When we signed him (remember the billion page thread on here as we competed with, er, Rotherham for his signature!) we thought we were getting an absolute beast because he was Scottish and had long hair, a beard and tattoos.

But we got a player who was as weak as a kitten and scampered about a lot like a puppy in carpet slippers. Was amazed when we actually managed to make a profit on him when we sold him to Preston.

Strength did let him down big time. Started off very well for us though. I remember his little dink against M'Boro and that solo goal against Birmingham. Sure he still managed 8 league goals that season, mind you.

3 hours ago, Mr Hooper said:

All true, but it is big question would have we survived season he joined us without his goals. If I remember it right, there were fair few games we won where his goals made the difference.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I was expecting a lot from Paul Smith. But that's hardly surprising as Chris Turner had described him as the best crosser of a ball in the country after David Beckham.

A twenty yard volley the first time I saw him persuaded me that turner might be on to something.

Later discovered that most of those 'crosses' Turner promised would be from the half way line and little more than punts into the box as the lad had zero pace and couldn't beat a man.

Paul Smith had great left peg, but sadly little else. As you said, he had zero pace, couldn't beat a player, or do much else then putting in decent deep cross every now and then.

Remember guy he was brought in to fight with over that LW spot ? Richard Evans ?! Looked decent untill injuries ruined his career.