van Aken

43 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Something did happen to him he got Jos as his manager. Ruined the confidence of half the squad. Even Lees lost the plot.

Agree with that mate. Lees seemed to lose the plot when he had kids all around him and a keeper that he didnt fully trust.

Now he is surrounded by more competent and more experienced players his own confidence has returned.

2 hours ago, Brommers said:

We're very quick to write people off. Lets see how he looks in a team playing well and for a manager who has a clue once he's over his injury.

You mean His latest injury, for a lad in his early twenties he's hardly kicked a ball in the. 2 years almost since he signed. 

You usually find center backs are quite robust and built out of sterner stuff, but I think they built VanAkren out of the left over sticky back plastic and loo rolls from abdi. Dr Delphonstien needs to hand his blue peter badge back lol

Edited by shezzas left peg
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

another abdi im afraid ,im not surprised that he is always injured , he must have the skinniest legs for a footballer ive ever seen I was shocked when I saw him last april . he wont be going anywhere another 4 million wasted and im sure he is on decent wages. this club is paying the price for a total abject of a manager called carlos and the pathetic agents who fetched in these waste of spaces. luckily we have steve bruce who wont get conned and has contacts everywhere. 

5 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

I was surprised by Hack-abusi's comment about Van Aken:

Could be a decent player under Bruce .. seems more composed on the ball and with passing then Hector. Just needs to beef up a bit and be a bit more aggressive and physical.

The basic problem with Van AKen is that he cannot defend.

He is slow, one footed and physically weak.

Way back I advocated a loan to a League 2 or National League club to help him learn about defending.

This 100%.

I'd add his turning circle is wider than an oil tanker.

A bouncing ball seems to paralyze him. 

On the up side he can pass and he looks good in shorts.

In terms of 'what were they thinking' our worst ever big ish signing.

13 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

This 100%.

I'd add his turning circle is wider than an oil tanker.

A bouncing ball seems to paralyze him. 

On the up side he can pass and he looks good in shorts.

In terms of 'what were they thinking' our worst ever big ish signing.

15 appearances in 2 seasons for JVA is quite concerning.  It’s also a small sample size to judge a player’s quality on.

JVA was clearly signed with the intention of being Loovens’ replacement.  His only real consistent spell in the team, in autumn 2017, left a lot to be desired.

But in fairness, the whole club was a bit of a mess at that time; hangover from 2 failed playoff attempts, Carlos waiving £20 notes around in press conferences, players dropping like flies because of injuries.

JVA hardly featured under Luhukay.  And our defence was always sh*t under Jos regardless of who was in the team.

In terms of value for money, I’d say JVA has been nowhere near as much a disaster of a signing for us, as the likes of Rhodes, Abdi, Jones, Matias, Urby Emmanuelson.  And that’s just the Chansiri era.

But you think he’s our worst ever signing?  Okay..

1 hour ago, The Captain said:

15 appearances in 2 seasons for JVA is quite concerning.  It’s also a small sample size to judge a player’s quality on.

JVA was clearly signed with the intention of being Loovens’ replacement.  His only real consistent spell in the team, in autumn 2017, left a lot to be desired.

But in fairness, the whole club was a bit of a mess at that time; hangover from 2 failed playoff attempts, Carlos waiving £20 notes around in press conferences, players dropping like flies because of injuries.

JVA hardly featured under Luhukay.  And our defence was always sh*t under Jos regardless of who was in the team.

In terms of value for money, I’d say JVA has been nowhere near as much a disaster of a signing for us, as the likes of Rhodes, Abdi, Jones, Matias, Urby Emmanuelson.  And that’s just the Chansiri era.

But you think he’s our worst ever signing?  Okay..

Hmmmm...some fair points but I very clearly did not say worst signing ever because he isn't. I said worst in terms of what were they thinking and also qualified it by saying big ish. Let's say over 1m for sale of argument.

And let's be fair all of the players you mention had proven themselves at a decent level so it's more understandable why we bought or acquired them. Sometimes it doesn't work out but you can see the thinking.

I'd like to know who watched JVA and said here's a 3m player let's buy him. His faults are numerous and obvious. Maybe he can overcome them eventually but he was never going to be ready for Championship. 

Maybe we thought we were buying the next Virgil Van Dyke rather than a player with the mobility of Virgil Tracy with a broken string.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

Hmmmm...some fair points but I very clearly did not say worst signing ever because he isn't. I said worst in terms of what were they thinking and also qualified it by saying big ish. Let's say over 1m for sale of argument.

And let's be fair all of the players you mention had proven themselves at a decent level so it's more understandable why we bought or acquired them. Sometimes it doesn't work out but you can see the thinking.

I'd like to know who watched JVA and said here's a 3m player let's buy him. His faults are numerous and obvious. Maybe he can overcome them eventually but he was never going to be ready for Championship. 

Maybe we thought we were buying the next Virgil Van Dyke rather than a player with the mobility of Virgil Tracy with a broken string.

You can’t really say if a player should be considered a ‘big’ signing or not just based on the transfer figure alone.

The JVA transfer was a left-field gamble that hasn’t worked out so far.  We really needed a decent CB replacement for Loovens that summer too; which we obviously didn’t get in JVA.  And on transfer fee vs JVA’s performances for us so far, it does seem like a total mismatch.

The thing is though, I can see what the club saw in the lad; young-ish, ball-playing defender with international caps.  And although JVA’s limitations are a concern, plenty of ‘limited’ defenders have had good careers in the English game.  Our own manager did for example?

Our most bizarre signing ever. A book will be written about it one day.

from the first 5 minutes of his debut it was crystal clear there was a major problem with him (check his debut thread ) which must have come up through scouting. We signed him anyway.  His feet are all over the place. He constantly drives from the wrong foot. I have never seen a player even in league football as bad as he is on this.

he can probably do ok in the Dubai or Qatar league where we should look to sell him to if he ever gets fit.