van Aken

1 minute ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Could be a decent player under Bruce .. seems more composed on the ball and with passing then Hector. Just needs to beef up a bit and be a bit more aggressive and physical

Seems all over the place postionally aswell. will always be four choice centre back at best here.

6 minutes ago, steveger said:

would like to see him given another go under a decent manager like Bruce rather than the 2 clowns in the past

Will be interesting to see what Bruce does with him when fit. He has looked horrible defensively when I’ve seen him. He can ping 60 yard passes that are more accurate than Bannan’s but he just cannot defend, bit of a problem if you’re a centre back lol. 

Suppose Bruce knows a thing or two about centre backs so if he’s good enough Bruce will give him a run i’m sure...

3 minutes ago, Sticky belly said:

Will be interesting to see what Bruce does with him when fit. He has looked horrible defensively when I’ve seen him. He can ping 60 yard passes that are more accurate than Bannan’s but he just cannot defend, bit of a problem if you’re a centre back lol. 

Suppose Bruce knows a thing or two about centre backs so if he’s good enough Bruce will give him a run i’m sure...

convert him to an attacking midfielder...:ph34r:

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, marconi said:

Van Aken, Jones,Boyd, Pelupessy, Abdi, Fox.

Someone has a lot to answer for.

Exactly ! With a smart manager and all the money saved on their wages , we could have been in a far better position on and off the field .  Going to omit fox from that list as he won’t be on a deal and is a decent back up 

200 CBs observed and considered. Venancio at the club and underused despite being a very good CB. And yet we decide to purchase this guy on a long contract and significant fee. A defender who can't defend or stay on his feet. Another bonkers decision. But at least he can play pretty passes! 

1 hour ago, marconi said:

Van Aken, Jones,Boyd, Pelupessy, Abdi, Fox.

Someone has a lot to answer for.

To be fair, Jones, Abdi and Boyd should have been good signings based on their previous form.

Fox was cheap back up and is a capable back up. Pelupessy was cheap as chips too, was always a gamble.

Van Aken, I'd judge under Bruce rather than under Carlos who'd lost his way and the last disaster we had as manager.

I was surprised by Hack-abusi's comment about Van Aken:

Could be a decent player under Bruce .. seems more composed on the ball and with passing then Hector. Just needs to beef up a bit and be a bit more aggressive and physical.

The basic problem with Van AKen is that he cannot defend.

He is slow, one footed and physically weak.

Way back I advocated a loan to a League 2 or National League club to help him learn about defending.

4 hours ago, Miffed said:

I think it will be a shame if he is sold. When he first arrived he looked full of confidence, He looked comformatable on the ball, capable of bringing the ball out of defence and passing the ball 40/50 yards and landing at the feet of our attacking players created opportunities. He didnt look too bad making takles either and quickly won the fans over.

Im convinced that something happened to him. Maybe he was told to stop making those passes.... maybe he was told to stop bringing the ball out of defence. It was a strange to see because we would often play it round the back a few times, pass back to the keeper to lump it up field or all of our play had to go through Bannan, even if it was a 2 yard pass for Bannan to ping the ball forwards. Van Aken offerred a different dimension at least.

Whatever happened, whatever the reason, he had a mare against United (But to be fair, he was far from being the only one!) and never recovered from that.

If he was fit now, theres no way he would be able to break into the current back 4 but look at how we had our wingers virtually hugging the touchline against Blackburn in acres of space. Imagine Joost pinging the ball from the back to our wingers in space.

Something did happen to him he got Jos as his manager. Ruined the confidence of half the squad. Even Lees lost the plot.