Hooper back for Stoke?

2 hours ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

For me a fit and firing Hooper is the best striker at the club. His link up play, movement and finishing are excellent however after over a year out he wont be up to speed by the end of this season I wouldn't have thought.

I'd go as far as to say that he's one of the best in the League (just behind Lionel Sharp!). He is a very intelligent player with an excellent first touch, is very good at finding space and bringing others into the game when they have space rather than waiting until they have been closed down. On top of that, he is a quality finisher

6 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

What evidence have you seen to believe we are one of the best teams in this league? Even when we were good we finished 6th and 4th, we were lacking in key areas, we aren't as good as we were then and are sat 10th, we finished 15th last season with pretty much the same squad. I didn't say anything about not rating them, all decent players and add to any side at this level, but there's supporting and just coming out with a purely outrageous statement. 

And ffs we've seen Lazaar for 90 minutes, and Newcastle fans had seen him not much more, getting a bit giddy. 

Also I never called your support terrible? 

I reacted badly to being described as a deluded fan, but yes I must be deluded as I do actually believe that under Bruce’s management the current team, plus the other players I mentioned would be a match for any other team.  We are 3rd in the form table without those missing players, so I don’t think my view is that outrageous, but fair enough you feel differently 

Edited by Southie_Owl
  • Like 2

Tough call for the club. Get him back playing and what if he plays well? Great if it helps us get up (which won’t happen if being realistic), but then we are stuck with a good player out of contract and we can’t really afford to renew. 

Under Jos I bet Chansiri would have said don’t give Hooper much time. Don’t think Bruce would stand for that though. Tough decision. 

Hmm just a thought, but maybe we were being incredibly cautius with hooper. 

Letting reports out he was further away from returning incase of a breakdown or a setback. 

Its been well documented about us rushing players back too quickly over the last few years,so maybe we've changed tac a little and it'll be more of an over estimation in time out rather then the standard joke of "we'll Tom lees has had his head completely severed off, oh its OK back in two weeks" 

The chances of a player in their 30s who hasn't kicked a ball in anger for over a year really making an impact for us this season are so remote I don't even bother thinking about it.

Same goes for Lee.  Amazed how many people think either of them will come back and complete our team and get a new contract etc.  It ain't gonna happen. 

I can't see a negative side to Hooper coming back available for the last 8 games.

We are a stronger squad with him in it.

As for his contract then that's a different matter. 

For me, if he proves he's fit, then it's a contract on much reduced terms. Take it or leave it.

29 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

The chances of a player in their 30s who hasn't kicked a ball in anger for over a year really making an impact for us this season are so remote I don't even bother thinking about it.

Same goes for Lee.  Amazed how many people think either of them will come back and complete our team and get a new contract etc.  It ain't gonna happen. 

Maybe not the new contract part. but as soon as Hooper shows the fitness levels required by Bruce to play. I bet he is the first name he writes down on his team sheet.

6 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Maybe not the new contract part. but as soon as Hooper shows the fitness levels required by Bruce to play. I bet he is the first name he writes down on his team sheet.

I'm just hugely doubtful he can reach those levels in time with only 8 to play and him having been out for sooooo long. 

13 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

I'm just hugely doubtful he can reach those levels in time with only 8 to play and him having been out for sooooo long. 

He will be in the squad for Stoke 

Not ITK but it's obvious.

No manager would keep him out of the squad when he is fit and ready to play. Whether that means he starts or comes from the bench depends on how he looks in training.

On 20/03/2019 at 12:39, keepitsteel89 said:

I have to say, and neg away if you will.. but I have to slightly question Bruce's theory that a player needs as much time as he had out to get back to full form.. 18 months out.. I cant believe a player would need a full season and a half to get back to his best.. ide say about 20/25 full games  

He's setting expectations for us, I doubt he believes it takes that long. I'm sure he is thinking the same as us get him back and see what he is capable of before the season finishes 

• Like 1

Bruce must be like a kid in a sweetshop. He'll have only known Hooper from afar and being played out of position as a lone striker at Norwich when he's actually one of the best linkmen in the league. 

Shame FF, Hooper and Lee have been injured as those 3 and Bannan, with Hutch behind and a target man at number 9 (Nuhiu or Joao CC first season) were unplayable at times. 

Add in Wallace and the cameos from Lopez, that side would have romped this league. Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see the Bannan, Lee, FF. Hooper 4some ever again in its pomp... but Hooper coming back could be first step and would certainly be key piece of the jigsaw if we are to do something nuts in these last 8 to 11 games...