Hooper back for Stoke?

27 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

We keep saying this about United but again it makes us look like bitter deluded idiots, they've been at the top end of the Championship for two years running. It's wearing a bit thin now, players like Norwood, Egan, O'Connell, Henderson are top players in this league. 

Didn't they finish 10th last season?

I'm not sure I'd class that as being top end of the Championship.

Guest The Horse
29 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

We keep saying this about United but again it makes us look like bitter deluded idiots, they've been at the top end of the Championship for two years running. It's wearing a bit thin now, players like Norwood, Egan, O'Connell, Henderson are top players in this league. 

But are those players any better than our equivalents in our squad (when fit)?

United also took the unorthodox method of employing a manager who actually knows what he's doing.

What this all highlights, yet again, is how we royally messed up by keeping Carlos past his sell by date and Jos derailing us for half a season.

We're starting to see the green shoots of recovery. Hopefully it's not too late for Hooper to help us grow a bit faster. No one can deny he's a top end Champ player, surely.

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Wonderful to hear Bruce suggesting Hooper might be back in two weeks for Stoke. 

“Whether that’s too early we’ll have to wait and see”.

What a boost to our chances if we have Hooper on the bench for Stoke, Villa and Forest, and starting with Fletcher v Leeds, Norwich, Bristol C, Preston and QPR. (and the play-offs of course).

Plus, Getting Hooper back even in a part-time role allows Bruce to give Fletcher time off here and there. Right now there is too much on Fletcher’s shoulders and we will be very lucky if he doesn’t break between now and May.

Fingers crossed we hear nothing but positive news about Hooper’s ongoing recovery.

WTF:

1 hour ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

What evidence have you seen to believe we are one of the best teams in this league? Even when we were good we finished 6th and 4th, we were lacking in key areas, we aren't as good as we were then and are sat 10th, we finished 15th last season with pretty much the same squad. I didn't say anything about not rating them, all decent players and add to any side at this level, but there's supporting and just coming out with a purely outrageous statement. 

And ffs we've seen Lazaar for 90 minutes, and Newcastle fans had seen him not much more, getting a bit giddy. 

Also I never called your support terrible? 

Where would be in the league if the season had started  the day after Jos' sacking.

4 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Unfortunately mate the season is 46 games not 16, a lot of ifs buts and maybes with our fans, but sadly the facts don't lie. 

The FACT mate, is that this squad as good is as any other is this league with the right management. 

Edited by Sham67
  • Like 4

I have to say, and neg away if you will.. but I have to slightly question Bruce's theory that a player needs as much time as he had out to get back to full form.. 18 months out.. I cant believe a player would need a full season and a half to get back to his best.. ide say about 20/25 full games  

Edited by keepitsteel89

15 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

The FACT mate, is that this squad as good is as any other is this league with the right management. 

Haha I love our fans sometimes. Lose a couple and you'll all be slitting your wrists again, have a bit of a level head ffs. 

5 hours ago, Woodie said:

I think I must have forgot how good Hooper was, I don’t know what’s up with me but just can’t seem to get excited about it. Maybe it’s the length of his lay off  with his contract due to expire in 2 months time. 

For me a fit and firing Hooper is the best striker at the club. His link up play, movement and finishing are excellent however after over a year out he wont be up to speed by the end of this season I wouldn't have thought.

Edited by Carl Shutt is God

15 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

We’d comfortably be top 2 if fletcher and hooper had been available as a partnership throughout the season 

Not with any combination of Fox, Van Aken, Pelepussy, Jones, Dawson, Baker et al behind them we wouldn't.

28 minutes ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

For me a fit and firing Hooper is the best striker at the club. His link up play, movement and finishing are excellent however after over a year out he wont be up to speed by the end of this season I wouldn't have thought.

Happened to catch the Harry’s Heroes thing last night..it was interesting to see Robbie Fowler, who although massively unfit still had the knack of getting in between defenders and finishing clinically. This is what Hooper offers, given a bit of pitch time, he makes intelligent runs and finishes clinically in the box. He could make things very interesting for us if he’s introduced gently into the side via the bench. 

6 hours ago, Paul Triplo said:

IMHO. We would have been promoted in 2017 if he had not gotten injured before the play offs.

That is the difference he could make.

Agree. He'd already been unplayable away at Huddersfield that season coming deep and linking. 

If he'd stayed fit we would have won semi and done Reading in final.