chatting about junior football this morning and some games will be decided by coin throw this week after postponements at the weekend.

Got me thinking about a replay in the 80 where venue for third match was decided by a coin throw in the boardroom after full time at hillsboro, as we left the ground. We lost!

Very vague memory of this so it may have been made up but best guess was v Chelsea in Wilko era in League Cup

Any one?????

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's a right load of flipping testicles, isn't it?

Edit: Stop editing my words, you cheeky monkey!

Edit 2: What a fool this swear filter is.

Edit 3: Let me express myself, you absolute wee wee tail.

Edit 4: I'm getting very motherfucking annoyed here.

Edit 5: Oh.

Yep, it happens to every Tom, ‘wee pipe’ and Harry that comes on this ‘fizzing’ site 

:duntmatter:

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

Think it was Everton in the Wilko era. 

Definetly this one, was waiting in Goodison for the announcement, cue cheers from the home fans and groans from the away end.

I think the op could be right too, Chelsea was a second replay, so I guess we also lost the throw for that.

I was sat at home after that one having left in utter dejection after their 4th goal. (A lesson learnt for a 15 year old about leaving early).

2 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

Definetly this one, was waiting in Goodison for the announcement, cue cheers from the home fans and groans from the away end.

I think the op could be right too, Chelsea was a second replay, so I guess we also lost the throw for that.

I was sat at home after that one having left in utter dejection after their 4th goal. (A lesson learnt for a 15 year old about leaving early).

ah was it that one? rememebr it well for other reasons! other than the remarkable score, an old fella had a heart attack and died in the seat directly behind me. Obviously was terrible for him and his family, but i was just a lad and that happening a couple of feet away was pretty traumatic. me and my dad were totally numb through the second half and left a little before the end

Just now, General_Grievous said:

ah was it that one? rememebr it well for other reasons! other than the remarkable score, an old fella had a heart attack and died in the seat directly behind me. Obviously was terrible for him and his family, but i was just a lad and that happening a couple of feet away was pretty traumatic. me and my dad were totally numb through the second half and left a little before the end

actually came back in after Sterland equalised. Don;t recall a thing about ET

32 minutes ago, General_Grievous said:

actually came back in after Sterland equalised. Don;t recall a thing about ET

I had just got in the house as Sterland scored (lived just off Middlewood Road at the time) I wanted to go back down for ET but my mother wouldn't let me due to quote "your not going back on your own, Chelsea fans are animals" a different era back then.

Edited by OWL1969
  • Like 1

This happened for both of the games previously mentioned,  after the replay at home to Chelsea in the LC and at Goodison in the FA Cup in 87ish. 

Bert McGee lost both calls, which made him a useless t0s5er. 

What's most remarkable about the replays in those days was that with in person ticket office sales only we sold 35k+ tickets for the home replays which were played just 2 days after the previous games. 

17 hours ago, alanharper said:

This happened for both of the games previously mentioned,  after the replay at home to Chelsea in the LC and at Goodison in the FA Cup in 87ish. 

What's most remarkable about the replays in those days was that with in person ticket office sales only we sold 35k+ tickets for the home replays which were played just 2 days after the previous games. 

good spot! yes, long queues but got the job done

18 hours ago, alanharper said:

Sure you could POTG as well.
I remember getting there early for the 3rd Replay at home to Everton and were already long queues to get in. Just were patient and waited I guess.

35 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Sure you could POTG as well.
I remember getting there early for the 3rd Replay at home to Everton and were already long queues to get in. Just were patient and waited I guess.

Suppose there was POTG as well but I remember being in our regular ST seats for both games so plenty must have gone and queued for them. With only 2 days notice for the replays we got 36.5k for the Chelsea game and just under 39k for the final Everton game.

Amazing that apart from the logistics of ticket sales nobody batted an eyelid at playing 4 games in a week back then. In 1985 we played an FA Cup game on the Saturday, Chelsea away in the LC QF on the Monday, played the replay of that plus extra time on Wednesday and then drew with European Champions Liverpool on the Saturday in front of 48k - all with barely any (if any at all) changes to the team and only 1 substitute!
  • Like 1