Happy Birthday to a living Legend

8 hours ago, BRADDO said:

I have to say though, imo the current manager is the highest profile appointment since Ron and, given the time I think he'll take us up. 

8 hours ago, DAMMOowl said:

PS.i'm feeling somthing similar now wi Brucie. WAWAW

The footballing landscape is a different country than it was in those days.  I suspect out days of not just playing, but often outplaying the Big-guns may never return in my lifetime.

But I do know what you both mean, in terms of having a manager we have all taken to. A man who seems at ease with himself and of course, one who knows how to build a side!

Happy Birthday Ron...

I will always be grateful for the football I saw, always be grateful for the league cup and promotion..What a season that was...

I will always begrudge you're leaving...I will always begrudge the the way you left..always be angry about what you said about 

"I'd be stupid to leave this club"

Then leaving.

Then you came back..and we built something again...

When you think about it it

If you hadn't f.ooked off in the first place..Where do you think The Wednesday might be now?

any road up no hard feelings....

Happy Birthday..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greengrass said:

I don't know why but everytime I see big Ron I think ......'Tenerife'

Brought silverware and hope.........great times.

I was talking to him at the end of the 150th dinner and he asked someone to get him a taxi. I said he could jump in with me and he said 'hope you've got your passport, I'm going to Tenerife'. He was so friendly and funny. It was like I'd known him all my life. 

• Like 1

Got to admit I got it totally wrong with big Ron, before he came to us I really didn't like him. Reasons for this being he came over as flash and blingy and had managed Man Utd who I really didn't like at the time.

How wrong I was, replace the flash for charismatic and here was  a man with great football knowledge who could really bond players and fans alike.

Grew to love the guy and he produced the finest football I have seen in a lifetime supporting Wednesday.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2019 at 11:46, BRADDO said:

Nail on the head Snoots. 

Those days were brilliant and exciting and I am grateful for them. I think deep down we all know it was just going to get better and better over the subsequent seasons with Ron in charge. 

I have to say though, imo the current manager is the highest profile appointment since Ron and, given the time I think he'll take us up. 

Absolutely this ^^^^

Walking up to the ground knowing you were going going to see exciting football from a team of top players. Happy times.

On 18/03/2019 at 22:32, Nut said:

I was talking to him at the end of the 150th dinner and he asked someone to get him a taxi. I said he could jump in with me and he said 'hope you've got your passport, I'm going to Tenerife'. He was so friendly and funny. It was like I'd known him all my life. 

Any snapshots of you n Ron 

In Linekers Nut ? 

:Sid:

• Haha 2

On 18/03/2019 at 19:35, BRADDO said:

Had he remained with us for another 3 seasons I'm convinced we would have won another couple of major honours. I include the league title in that. Such a shame he left us. I was heartbroken. 

We'd be a top 4 champ league club now, he would have built a legacy. Real shame. 

Judas.... (only joking, if you like) 

Not bitter honest. 

Happy birthday Big man.... 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2019 at 11:05, Lord Snooty said:

There have been many magic moments in following the club. More moments of doom of course, which makes the good times all the more enjoyable.  We've had some great players and some terrific managers.

But the reason Ron is the best, for my money, is because of that connection.  What Ron did, other than build a good side was build a mood. The man had an aura and it was something that for a short while engulfed the club. 

Like a force-field.  It was something that pervaded everyone involved. Players, tea woman, supporter.  

There's a lot of talk these days all over the media , one can barely watch football focus without someone banging on about the 'football family'. 

Ron made us family just by being Ron. His personality rubbed off on everyone and everything. 

That TV interview in front of the south stand after after we got relegated; A young lad in the background was singing 'We'll be back'. All Ron could do was acknowledge the lad 'cos he couldn't speak due to getting choked up...

Top manager; best Wednesday team in my memory (which stretches back to '66).

Happy Birthday!

• Like 2