Happy Birthday to a living Legend

There have been many magic moments in following the club. More moments of doom of course, which makes the good times all the more enjoyable.  We've had some great players and some terrific managers.

But the reason Ron is the best, for my money, is because of that connection.  What Ron did, other than build a good side was build a mood. The man had an aura and it was something that for a short while engulfed the club. 

Like a force-field.  It was something that pervaded everyone involved. Players, tea woman, supporter.  

There's a lot of talk these days all over the media , one can barely watch football focus without someone banging on about the 'football family'. 

Ron made us family just by being Ron. His personality rubbed off on everyone and everything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing

There's been many ups and downs following the Wednesday. Many special memories. But this man gave me the single greatest ever season of watching the Owls.

Scintillating free-flowing football and a wonderful team full of passion and character. A team that had a unique and unequalled bond with the fan-base which has lasted the test of time.  

The promotion and a Cup final win are almost bonuses really from a period when I have rarely felt so 'at one' with the club.  

Happy 80th Birthday Big-man

Still, simply the best  

Had he remained with us for another 3 seasons I'm convinced we would have won another couple of major honours. I include the league title in that. Such a shame he left us. I was heartbroken. 

Just now, BRADDO said:

Had he remained with us for another 3 seasons I'm convinced we would have won another couple of major honours. I include the league title in that. Such a shame he left us. I was heartbroken. 

There are few times that you actually physically weep as an adult. I have zero shame in admitting I lost a tear the day he left. Because I knew,  in my soul, that something very, very special was going with him. 

A team on the cusp of greatness a team that needed the guiding hand of a master tactician and motivator, of a charge that could handle the characters. 

Still. I'm grateful for those wonderful times. Always will be. But I agree , there is always a wistful "If.." never far from my thoughts when In remember. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

There are few times that you actually physically weep as an adult. I have zero shame in admitting I lost a tear the day he left. Because I knew,  in my soul, that something very, very special was going with him. 

A team on the cusp of greatness a team that needed the guiding hand of a master tactician and motivator, of a charge that could handle the characters. 

Still. I'm grateful for those wonderful times. Always will be. But I agree , there is always a wistful "If.." never far from my thoughts when In remember. 

Nail on the head Snoots. 

Those days were brilliant and exciting and I am grateful for them. I think deep down we all know it was just going to get better and better over the subsequent seasons with Ron in charge. 

I have to say though, imo the current manager is the highest profile appointment since Ron and, given the time I think he'll take us up. 

Legend Big Ron best season i've had warching the Owls when we won the Rumbelows cup and got promoted, Tricky was a close second with all the Wembley visits especially beating the sows ears at wembley.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RON PURE LEGEND.

PS.i'm feeling somthing similar now wi Brucie. WAWAW

I nearly ran over his dog when he was talking it for a walk round the ground I must admit I did chuckle seeing him in a blue shell suite with a poodle he did have a laugh about it happy birthday big Ron a true Wednesday legend thanks for the great memories.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First season he saved us from relegation.  Great.

Second season we got relegated (unluckily.... but still relegated) and he would have been sacked in today's football.

Third season we got promoted and won the Lge cup.  Great- but it wouldn't have happened in today's world because he wouldn't have got a third season.

Just saying, like.    And yes- he is one of my top managers, after 60 odd years of going to Hillsboro.