We’ve become a big side

Did you notice how tall our side were compared to Blackburn on Saturday?

In the pre-match walking hand-shake line we towered over their side it was obvious we held a very significant height advantage. And that was without Nuhiu in the starting Xl.

Both Bruce and Mowbray refered to it in the post-match comments, with Mowbray admitting they struggled to cope with it.

Our attacking set-pieces are now a huge threat. In normal circumstances defences have to cope with Fletcher, Hector, Lees, Iorfa and Hutchinson. That’s some threat. If Nuhiu (or Joao If fit) is on too it only increases our impressive threat. 

At defensive set-pieces, our phenomenal height combined with Bruce’s defensive nous ( he was only a modest height for a CB but highly intelligent and effective) we can anticipate a very successful approach to defending corners and free-kicks.

Compare this to where we were. An unusually short back four before Hector arrived (great loanee) and Iorfa the beast signed. What a transformation. And it hasn’t turned us into a Pulis-ball side. Iorfa and Hector can both play and we look so strong on the floor and aerially now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Just to prove size is important

Heres me sweating blood to start deep-thinking, high-quality threads....and you do a kernob joke on page 1.

Im wasted on here.

I drive a Polo btw. Need I say more?

• Haha 1

Interesting post by the OP, I was thinking the same after reading Mowbra’s post match remarks.  Also reminds of what I felt was ultimately the telling difference between us and Hull in the 2015/16 season, namely their midfield with the likes of Livermore, Diame and Huddleston looked so much bigger and more powerful than ours. 

Didn’t take Bruce long to make some necessary changes to our squad.

Size isn’t everything...... lol

No doubt we’ve added a couple of big units and we have the benefit of that in certain situations.  I did feel that it was emphasised more by Blackburn fielding a team of Hobbits. 

Edited by Morepork
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Heres me sweating blood to start deep-thinking, high-quality threads....and you do a kernob joke on page 1.

Im wasted on here.

You must be minted ?.........

Pants off legs open .........:ph34r:

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Haha 5

Guest mkowl
57 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Im wasted on here.

It beats talking about ruddy Brexit in the Politics section though lol

Said on Saturday that Blackburn looked small compared to some teams. Especially their defenders. I wouldn't say we were in the land of the giants territory but we've definitely added some height which is good. 

So, height, pace, organisation off the ball and hard work. I reckon that's the secret to this league. Add in a wild card like FF on his day and a few wonder goals from Reach and thats a top 6 position most seasons. 

2 hours ago, james o connor said:

One of two obvious issues we had, along with a lack of pace. Funny how it took Bruce less than 48 hours to address what neither previous manager could see in the entire tenure 

Spot on mate.