Last 8

With a run in as difficult as that all you can do is take one game at a time and see where it takes you after.

I still think we are the outsiders for a playoff spot.

My advice to any Wednesday fan would be to sit back, enjoy your football and be thankful we didn’t leave it any longer to make the managerial switch.

Regardless of what happens, we will be in far better shape going into next season under Steve Bruce than we would have been under Jos Luhukay.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

If you’re fighting for the playoffs having come up through the pack that’s EXACTLY the run in you want...

You can literally deal hammer blows to the chances of your competitors whilst doing great things for your own

If you fail, then you would have most likely failed in the play offs anyway

Not 'literally', though.

:duntmatter:

Moving on from me being pedantic, you're not wrong. We'll need to go on a winning run to make the playoffs anyway. That it would come at the expense of our nearest rivals makes it all the more meaningful. There'd be nothing more frustrating than winning every week only to find the others had matched our results.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Could be.  With our goal difference, I’ve a feeling we might need 73 or 74 though.

What we’d do now for turning one of those draws into a win.  We could have so easily beat Reading, Derby or Millwall.  

Very frustrating we didn’t turn a few draws into wins (wba home and away , Birmingham at home , and the above you mention ) 

10 minutes ago, Beholder said:

That villa game is set up to be a proper battle 

Both teams are on form. Both teams have quality.

There is the Bruce factor too.

Would be so good to beat them.

What's Swarisbrick up to these days..... Gulp! 

1 hour ago, Owl 44 said:

Stoke (a) 

Villa (h) 

Forest (h) 

Leeds (a) 

Norwich (a) 

Bristol City (h) 

Preston (a) 

QPR (h) 

So what do we reckon then? Couldn't have asked for a much harder run in. People are starting to take notice of us now and see us as a threat. Others are saying we haven't faced anybody of real quality yet during this run apart from United and Derby, both of which were drawn. If we had a full squad to choose from I'd fancy our chances but unfortunately I think injuries could be our undoing. I won't give up hope though. Bruce reckons we need 6 wins out of 8. 

Need to get a win at Stoke to set up the Hillsborough double header

Must beat the 4 teams around us.

draw v stoke & beat QPR.

think we’ll struggle to contain Leeds & Norwich 

leaves us on 71.

big ask & we need favours from derby & bristol city with their games in hand...

That goal difference won’t help either!

40 minutes ago, The Regulator said:

Posted in another thread. Relevant to this one too. Home games in bold.

704C7734-F7EA-465D-B95B-9875CF1250E9.jpeg

As far as I can tell, we need 6 wins and maybe more. Can see Derby winning most of their games so that would likely be 5th place. Then we are relying on Boro having a few draws. AV looks to be a big game for us in more ways than one as others have said.

19 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Villa seem a shoe in for the playoffs with their form and fixtures.

It's in our own hands to finish above Villa and same for them against us but we are at home so we have a slight advantage imho.

Their last 3 games look tricky, Milwall looking to avoid relegation, leeds and Norwich looking to confirm autos...hopefully.

Just hope leeds are not already confirmed in play-offs by the time they play Villa...and hopefully Norwich still need a win but I think they will already up by the then.

All ifs and buts anything can happen and probably will..

Take ‘em all one at a time. International break gives us a chance to get some players fit for the run in and keep the fitness levels high for the lads that are playing week in week out. Using Forestieri ?, Hooper?, Lazaar? as bit part players in the last few games might give us a good chance in some of those away games. I’m sure Bruce will be thinking along these lines too, those extra 3-4 players with the quality they have could make a big difference in the tougher fixtures. We’ll see, any road up I’m very optimistic about the future now.:biggrin:

• Like 1

71 points I reckon. Simply because Bristol, Derby and Boro all have at least one game in hand, and are already above us. 

So that's 16 points from 8 games. It requires us continuing our promotion winning, 2 points a game form, for another eight games.

It is possible...of course. Probable...I think it's too tough an ask.

We've got a tough run-in, and I just fear that our injury crisis will eventually catch up with us. If we can get Hutchinson and Fletcher fit for Stoke, and go there and get a win, then maybe I'd be a bit more optimistic. 

The games at home to Aston Villa, Forest and Bristol are all must-wins really. If we can take 7-9 points from those three games, then taking 7-9 points from the other five games, may not be such a big ask. 

Just think it's going to be a task just too tall for us.