Westwood.

8 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Best keeper in the league. If DC messes about and we lose Westwood in the summer it will be a disaster. 

Needs to be done before the end off the season. New two year deal in my opinion.

On 17/03/2019 at 08:16, A12owl said:

I agree with your last sentence but would we have done as well with them under Jos? I don't think so . Bruce is the difference. Attitudes changed, confidence boosted, tactics stable. 

Jo's couldn't or wouldn't do that.

Bruce has made a big difference but it also down to the players - otherwise Bruce would have kept Westwood and Hutchinson on the sidelines if he didn't believe they were the best we have got in those positions.

Westwood has proved time and time again he is among the best at this level and has done so again since his return to the side. He had an iffy spell at the start of last season - a few bad games in over 150 for our club, at a time when he was carrying an injury - and a fair few on here were ready to write him off.

He may or may not be more difficult to manage in and around training than other players, that is the responsibility of the management team to get a grip of. He may or may not have a training regime that is not as intense as others - plenty of players have managed injuries in that way so it shouldn't be an issue.  

The positive influence he has had on our defensive unit since returning to the side is clear, the team are far more assured and confident with him in the side and those that called him 'a bad apple that needs to go' and the like after all the successful seasons he has had in our goal just look a little bit silly. If we don't manage to keep him he will be difficult to replace.

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Bruce has made a big difference but it also down to the players - otherwise Bruce would have kept Westwood and Hutchinson on the sidelines if he didn't believe they were the best we have got in those positions.

Westwood has proved time and time again he is among the best at this level and has done so again since his return to the side. He had an iffy spell at the start of last season - a few bad games in over 150 for our club, at a time when he was carrying an injury - and a fair few on here were ready to write him off.

He may or may not be more difficult to manage in and around training than other players, that is the responsibility of the management team to get a grip of. He may or may not have a training regime that is not as intense as others - plenty of players have managed injuries in that way so it shouldn't be an issue.  

The positive influence he has had on our defensive unit since returning to the side is clear, the team are far more assured and confident with him in the side and those that called him 'a bad apple that needs to go' and the like after all the successful seasons he has had in our goal just look a little bit silly. If we don't manage to keep him he will be difficult to replace.

I get your point mate...but maybe Bruce sees the outside chance we have, and playing your best players while the chance is there, has to the only option

15 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Near impossible without spending millions of pounds we dont have.

On 17/03/2019 at 14:30, squonk said:

We have been blessed with decent keepers but not one on your list will ever eclipse Martin Hodge for me 

Easily the best keeper in my time watching Wednesday 

Westwood is up there with the rest though 

Hi Martin

• Haha 1

I have always maintained that Westwood is best and most consistent keeper in my 40 years following Wednesday.

However towards the end of Carlos,s reign he started to look like he was on the decline, maybe this was due to injury or poor team selection I don't know.

We had Wildsmith performing well and Dawson looking good in his few appearances, so with one eye on FFP and reducing costs and getting a bit of money in I thought it was time to cash in and move on with the young guns.

Since Westwood has been recalled he has shown that he still has it and looks back on form, so depending on terms would like to see him offered a new deal.

A top quality keeper is so important to a successful team, an example would be :- If we had Seaman and Arsenal had Woods I think we would have won the FA and League cups in 1993.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYowl said:

I have always maintained that Westwood is best and most consistent keeper in my 40 years following Wednesday.

However towards the end of Carlos,s reign he started to look like he was on the decline, maybe this was due to injury or poor team selection I don't know.

We had Wildsmith performing well and Dawson looking good in his few appearances, so with one eye on FFP and reducing costs and getting a bit of money in I thought it was time to cash in and move on with the young guns.

Since Westwood has been recalled he has shown that he still has it and looks back on form, so depending on terms would like to see him offered a new deal.

A top quality keeper is so important to a successful team, an example would be :- If we had Seaman and Arsenal had Woods I think we would have won the FA and League cups in 1993.

Agreed. 

Dropping him for 6 months has brought him back a changed man. He's giving 100% fighting for his career and looks like the best in the division currently. 

On 17/03/2019 at 01:16, acquiescefc said:

Funny how he was the overpaid mistake riddled old crock who should be 'got rid of' in every transfer window according to most of Owlstalk not so long ago.

So happy hes back where he belongs saving us vital points and the numptys werent listened to.

Hmm. I don’t think you’re quite right there. There were a few (and only a few) saying exactly what you state but every player has his detractors on OwlsTalk - every player. Before Westwood returned, I think most on here still believed that he was the best keeper in the club (and league) when fit but there were rumours abound that he and Hutchinson were absolutely finished through injury and/or being kept away from the first team due to being disruptive - rumours that no party really moved to dismiss . The same “finished due to injury” rumours have been strong for months now about Hooper and Lee and the former has just played a first team game and the latter has returned to training with the first team!  OwlsTalk always has someone “in the know” and OwlsTalk always falls for it. 

There were also some on here that were advocating selling Westwood to ease FFFP (potential) issues as he has a high wage and some market value - this idea was fuelled by the very same suggestion that was (quite validly) being put forward on the Wednesday Week FFFP Special podcast (I must say it was a convincing and compelling argument and by no means am I criticising them for debating this suggestion) but that was at a time when it was believed that Dawson and Wildsmith were ready to successfully make the step up. 

So, IMHO, you’re wrong mate. Most on here didn’t think Westwood was a “mistake riddled overpaid old crock”. Most didn’t know whether he was injured, disruptive or just being kept out for Jos’s unknown reason. 

Just read a stat that Westwood is number one in the championship for saves made with 83.1% and he is also number one for clean sheets with 62.5 %. Most important business we can do is get him to sign a new contract. If the club mess this up I really do think we will regret it. 

On 17/03/2019 at 01:16, acquiescefc said:

Funny how he was the overpaid mistake riddled old crock who should be 'got rid of' in every transfer window according to most of Owlstalk not so long ago.

So happy hes back where he belongs saving us vital points and the numptys werent listened to.

To be fair, it was a what .. very minor select crew that had that opinion ..

Most if not all of the Wednesday fan base know that Westwood has been one of  the best keepers we've had at the club for a long time and it was calamitous decision to drop him ...

Whilst ever Westwood is playing like he is we should be looking to retain him 

we’ve a top class keeper on our books that could quite easily in modern football play for another 3-4 years minimum 

why would you let that go on a free and who  would you replace him with?

I bet there’s not many keepers with clean sheets / games played like him both in our league or in our clubs history 

anybody got the facts? 

At the start of the season I thought giving Dawson the shirt was the right thing to do, as it looked like he would be off, and we have to look to the future at some point.

But I'd forgotten just how good Westwood is, the best keepers don't just do the basics, they win you points.

1 hour ago, NYCOWL said:

At the start of the season I thought giving Dawson the shirt was the right thing to do, as it looked like he would be off, and we have to look to the future at some point.

But I'd forgotten just how good Westwood is, the best keepers don't just do the basics, they win you points.

Unfortunately you was not on your own. Said it many times before, football fans have shocking memory retention and can only ever see what’s in front of them. 

59 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

Unfortunately you was not on your own. Said it many times before, football fans have shocking memory retention and can only ever see what’s in front of them. 

Well I'm also more than happy to admit it when I get it wrong. Happens all the time.

Theres a lot of people on here who seems more concerned with being right all the time.

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

One toe rag gave him a 3 in MOM & Scores on Saturday.

And another one made up stats (or lied depending on how you want to spin it) on how big a percentage of the vote he got.

if you want to judge a keepers performance on how many of the 3 shots he saved crack on....I like to take a broader view than that and if that makes me a toe rag in your eyes I give not one jot 

Edited by Ian