Lies, damned lies and statistics

Lies, damned lies and statistics: According to the BBC we only had 41% of the possession of the game. I think this stat says it all about the difference between Bruce and (Jos / Carlos season three). Blackburn were rarely an attacking threat, and in the traditional Wednesday way, their goals were our mistakes in a game which we always controlled. 

I can imagine if football matches were won on the number of passes then Blackburn clearly won the possession stats today. Clearly tapping the ball around in their own half for fun. Thank god the days of possession stats at Wednesday are gone...... , for now. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47505155

lol

Guest Ash76

41% sounds about right. Bit harsh to say they were rarely an attacking threat, thought they looked good going forward, as Bruce says we got goals at crucial times in the game 

I agree that the "possession" stat is probably the most misleading of all stats. At the same time, it remains the one many people seem to focus on. It can be relevant, but it has to be interpreted in the context of a teams tactical objectives. 

I don't really agree with the notion that Blackburn were rarely an attacking threat. Their passing and movement in the final third was excellent and as Bruce indicated clearly in his post-match interview, they cause us problems and we created a few for ourselves as well.

Bit surprised Blackburn haven’t received more praise , I personally thought they were excellent at times and ran us ragged , to say they had little to play for . Shows how much we have improved scoring 4 , real shame they got a second 4-1 sounds like a drubbing .They ran us very close I thought .

Leicester won the title with an average of 36% possession. They just sat back and ruined teams on the break. Arsenal, generally have the most possession and lose alot because they try and walk the ball in the net. The only team to match possession with winning was Peps Barca

Like playing an academy team. Neat, tidy and technically fine but struggled with our physicality. 

We should have been 2-0 up before they had a proper kick (Hector's header that hit the post). 

In reality we beat them 4-2 today in third gear without some of our best players. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Like playing an academy team. Neat, tidy and technically fine but struggled with our physicality. 

We should have been 2-0 up before they had a proper kick (Hector's header that hit the post). 

In reality we beat them 4-2 today in third gear without some of our best players. 

3rd gear !!! Haha blimey can’t wait to see us gear up then or is it gear down ? . They had players missing too , come on give them some credit , what did they have to play for really !! . Academy team !! .

3 hours ago, Morepork said:

I agree that the "possession" stat is probably the most misleading of all stats. At the same time, it remains the one many people seem to focus on. It can be relevant, but it has to be interpreted in the context of a teams tactical objectives. 

I don't really agree with the notion that Blackburn were rarely an attacking threat. Their passing and movement in the final third was excellent and as Bruce indicated clearly in his post-match interview, they cause us problems and we created a few for ourselves as well.

If you’ve got players that never make a mistake, possession is king. See Barcelona/Spain in 2000s. But obviously most teams don’t have players the quality of xavi and iniesta

3 hours ago, Morepork said:

Yep Barca generally having 80pc of possession is extremely misleading 

3 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Yep Barca generally having 80pc of possession is extremely misleading 

Barca averages a fraction over 60% possession this season. Even at that, they are the exception, not the norm. But that's academic because my point wasn't that possession is good or bad, it was that many automatically assumed that all teams chase possession which is not the case. 

30 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Barca averages a fraction over 60% possession this season. Even at that, they are the exception, not the norm. But that's academic because my point wasn't that possession is good or bad, it was that many automatically assumed that all teams chase possession which is not the case. 

First time I've tickled a trout