Hutchinson

Clearly injured in warm up. I was watching him. He was holding his hamstring and trying to do some exercises as if he was testing it. Then he came over to take some shots. Took one and was clearly in pain. He then went over to speak to Bully and Agnew and disappeared to dressing room. Couldn't believe it when he came back out. It was clear from the off he wasn't going to last long. He was hardly running and kept holding his hamstring. 

Mad decision for him to play but knowing Sam he probably insisted he could do it. According to Bruce he nearly missed the match at Bolton for the same reason. He came off with a tight hamstring against Brentford so it's obviously an ongoing thing. Let's hope he's 'back in 2 weeks' as we'll be knackered without him. Pelupessy runs around, asks for the ball, gives it straight back to whoever passed it to him and couldn't tackle his way out of a paper bag. 

15 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

He really wasn't.

Pelupessy put plenty of effort in but he was often in the wrong place when needed. Blackburn cut us open far too easily at times, got through the middle multiple times. Pelupessy has to take a large share of responsibility for that as it hasn't been happening against better teams when he hasn't been playing. 

9 minutes ago, PortlandOwl said:

Thought Joey was ok to be fair. It's just the default post to say he was poo.

Honestly thought he was innocous mate....I rarely slate players for the sake of it, but he has no flair...you glimpse , at times the skill he has...but I dunno if its confidence or under instruction...he rarely uses it

What a difference Hutchinson makes to us defensively, those 2 goals don't happen with Hutch still on the pitch, Blackburn wouldn't have been playing it around as easy either. Joey is a poor player, he literally offers nothing, no coincidence with him back shielding the defence we concede 2 goals and slip back into the sloppiness of the first 23 games. I'd be surprised if Bruce wants him around next season. 

6 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Honestly thought he was innocous mate....I rarely slate players for the sake of it, but he has no flair...you glimpse , at times the skill he has...but I dunno if its confidence or under instruction...he rarely uses it

I respect your opinion. It's what footballs about, or should be. We won that's the main thing.

Just put on another thread, Pelupessy seems to struggle to read a game and gets himself out of position. This is why he looks absent in games and he ends up trying to tackle from the wrong side. 

Game passes him by - this is why it’s beem such an improvement since Hutch returned - what on Earth was Jos thinking 

Guest Ash76

What a simplistic view to say we don't consider 2 with Hutch on the pitch. Blackburn were a very good side going forward

53 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Pelupessy put plenty of effort in but he was often in the wrong place when needed. Blackburn cut us open far too easily at times, got through the middle multiple times. Pelupessy has to take a large share of responsibility for that as it hasn't been happening against better teams when he hasn't been playing. 

He was dragged out of position covering for Bannan as per when he plays with hin. He isn't a defensive midfielder.

Hutchinson does the same he just does it better but is also caught out of position from time to time.

Pelupessy didn't play awful today by any stretch.

2 minutes ago, Owly Mowly said:

Just put on another thread, Pelupessy seems to struggle to read a game and gets himself out of position. This is why he looks absent in games and he ends up trying to tackle from the wrong side. 

Game passes him by - this is why it’s beem such an improvement since Hutch returned - what on Earth was Jos thinking 

He's covering for 2 positions though as Bannan is rarely there alongside him.

This makes him seem out of his position.

5 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

He was dragged out of position covering for Bannan as per when he plays with hin. He isn't a defensive midfielder.

Hutchinson does the same he just does it better but is also caught out of position from time to time.

Pelupessy didn't play awful today by any stretch.

He came on for Hutchinson and so needed to play Hutchinson's role. He doesn't do it anywhere near well enough and his passing today was very poor. Twice in a couple of minutes in the 2nd half he broke down two promising attacks with a 5 yard pass nowhere near Reach where is was supposed to go and a 5-yard header to Fletcher woefully over weight.

he offers no creativity so can't play an attacking midfield and as you have stated he can't do a defensive midfield job very well so I am struggling to see what he offers.

You say he is constantly covering for Bannan and yet when Bannan and Hutch are the midfield pair we don't concede goals or chances as easily and Bannan is providing assists. Tell me what attributes Joey can bring to a team that is now looking to challenge for a top 6 place.

Not sure how he was covering for Bannan today anyway when Bannan made for more telling contributions at both ends of the pitch.

By, the way, I didn't say he was awful, just that the difference is obvious when compared with our current preferred midfield pair and should Hutch be out for any length of time results will suffer.  

24 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

What a simplistic view to say we don't consider 2 with Hutch on the pitch. Blackburn were a very good side going forward

Simplistic enough earlier in the season when people were calling for Westwood and Hutchinson to be played? We were sloppier today defensively, Blackburn had an absolute age on the ball at times, no way that happens with Hutchinson on the pitch.

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He came on for Hutchinson and so needed to play Hutchinson's role. He doesn't do it anywhere near well enough and his passing today was very poor. Twice in a couple of minutes in the 2nd half he broke down two promising attacks with a 5 yard pass nowhere near Reach where is was supposed to go and a 5-yard header to Fletcher woefully over weight.

he offers no creativity so can't play an attacking midfield and as you have stated he can't do a defensive midfield job very well so I am struggling to see what he offers.

You say he is constantly covering for Bannan and yet when Bannan and Hutch are the midfield pair we don't concede goals or chances as easily and Bannan is providing assists. Tell me what attributes Joey can bring to a team that is now looking to challenge for a top 6 place.

Not sure how he was covering for Bannan today anyway when Bannan made for more telling contributions at both ends of the pitch.

By, the way, I didn't say he was awful, just that the difference is obvious when compared with our current preferred midfield pair and should Hutch be out for any length of time results will suffer.  

Hutchinson covers for Bannan as I said, that's why he overworks himself at times. Bannan assists have been coming from set pieces bar Bolton. Bannans contributions today came from set pieces again not driving runs or good passing plays.

We do concede easy chances when Hutchinson plays too, there's plenty of them on show in previous games. We'd have still conceded at least 2 today with him or not.

Of course results would suffer without Hutchinson. That's like saying Liverpool would suffer without van Dijk it would be a given fact as we have no strong cover for him which we've been missing for about 4 years. The default position with Pelupessy though is similar to the one with Fox/Nuhiu. Under a decent manager I reckon be would have something to offer us, just like Bruce has managed to pull a player out of Palmer and had started to do until Fox went down.

He'd be best in our side in a midfield 3 with Hutchinson and Bannan and being told to do a box to box job but right now he's needed to cover in the nutters role which he can't play well. Especially as we are playing a midfield pair.

4 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Simplistic enough earlier in the season when people were calling for Westwood and Hutchinson to be played? We were sloppier today defensively, Blackburn had an absolute age on the ball at times, no way that happens with Hutchinson on the pitch.

Swanse, Brentford and United both had periods of the games with time on the ball as well.

That's just how we set up.

4 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Swanse, Brentford and United both had periods of the games with time on the ball as well.

That's just how we set up.

And scored 1 between them! 

6 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Hutchinson covers for Bannan as I said, that's why he overworks himself at times. Bannan assists have been coming from set pieces bar Bolton. Bannans contributions today came from set pieces again not driving runs or good passing plays.

We do concede easy chances when Hutchinson plays too, there's plenty of them on show in previous games. We'd have still conceded at least 2 today with him or not.

Of course results would suffer without Hutchinson. That's like saying Liverpool would suffer without van Dijk it would be a given fact as we have no strong cover for him which we've been missing for about 4 years. The default position with Pelupessy though is similar to the one with Fox/Nuhiu. Under a decent manager I reckon be would have something to offer us, just like Bruce has managed to pull a player out of Palmer and had started to do until Fox went down.

He'd be best in our side in a midfield 3 with Hutchinson and Bannan and being told to do a box to box job but right now he's needed to cover in the nutters role which he can't play well. Especially as we are playing a midfield pair.

A midfield pair that has seen us go on a run of 1 defeat in about 17 in the league and currently the longest unbeaten run in the division.

Bannan contributed far more telling tackles than Joey did today, despite apparently not being in the right position so Joey had to cover for him. How many times did you see Pelupessy win an important tackle or play a successful pass forward? No indication at all he would be an effective box-to-box player.

Bruce is a decent manager and he believes our best set up is one which does not include Pelupessy starting games. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

And scored 1 between them! 

How many good chances did they have in those games though?

And how many good saves did Westwood have to make in those games to keep them down to 1?

Compared today with 3 good chances, 2 goals and 1 save.

41 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

I think I know what you meant to type even if you can't manage it! 

Blackburn have an awful away record of late and we have come up against far better attacking sides recently without conceding anywhere near as many chances and looking so open. It may not have been the only reason but it was a major contributing factor.