Chansiri

2 hours ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Will Keane wasn't bad for us, think he got injured didn't he? McGugan under Gray was a vital signing and provided us with some good games ... it fell apart under Carlos when they fell out and he's now left by the wayside probably because of that experience. Kelhar .. you joking. What about Uchechi. They were Mandaric signings brought in .. I honest don't believe  that Melo, Vermillj and reckon there was someone else were Gray signings, they smack of chairman or some 3rd party involvement signing.

And yes, i would have absolutely trusted Gray with money ...

Keane was ineffective and yes got injured. McGugan seemed to come with a bad reputation and it didn't end very well for him here - nor has his career gone anywhere since he left. The rest were signed with Gray as manager, he carries the can - like Carlos does for his flops.

Wow, good for you. I wouldn't have, and it appears no Chairman in English football has trusted him enough to make him their manager. A cracking no.2 or coach doesn't equate to a good manager.

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Gray worked wonders with no support from above, he brought in player cast aside by other teams and developed them and improved them players which have for the last 4 or 5 years been the mainstay of our team.

Yes the football was not great at time but they were playing on the worse pitch I had seen at Hillsborough in my 40+ years. But had Gray still been here we probably would not be having to pay £40 a game to pay for all of the players we have who never play or are never fit.

Carlos spent more in two seasons than the previous 10 managers and achieve nothing other than a trip to Wembley - it was a good day but his management of the club together with the chairman trusting the wrong advisors has put our club back to a worst place than when DC took over and the pain is not over the summer could be a very difficult time for the club and next season could be a good season if we avoid relegation at £40 a game for the POTG.

You have a very short memory about how good McGugan was his career, his career finished with us because he would not play left wing so Carlos black balled him. Gray signed cheap players and made them better a lot like another manager in Sheffield at the moment. He signed the players he was allowed and made us a solid championship team on a bottom 3 budget.

No support? I don't think Wickham, Barkley and McGugan's wages will have been cheap. We carried two highly paid goalkeepers in Kirkland and Westwood. We spent the most on one player than we've spent for as long as I remember (Steve May). Old Milan might have run a tight ship, but to say Gray had no support is re-writing history!

Other teams seemed to managed perfectly fine on our pitch. Plus, it wasn't really the style of football, it was the defensive nature of our football which wasn't particularly great to watch. I'd rather see a team with the players from the last few years and pay £40 than watch what went on in the years before for £28.

McGugan was good under Gray and I was pleased we signed him - no doubt. However, he ended up costing the club a fortune and he's gone on to what after us? He also came to us with question marks against his character. Pro's play and do the job a manager asks of them.

I say again, the fact Gray hasn't had a manager's job since we sacked him speaks volumes.

Top coach, wouldn't want him as our manager with our ambitions under Chansiri.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hawksmore said:

Looking at the facts as we know so far, do you think we will be under an embargo this summer?

I don't, no.

We know the club has worked closely with the FL since our embargo last year and satisfied them sufficiently to lift the ban. We then renewed two expensive contracts, signed a player for a fee (Iorfa) and a number of Premier League loans.

We also have c. £10m/annum of contracts coming to an end this summer, and assuming we let most leave (reckon we'll keep Westwood and Palmer) that shows we are taking last year's P&S embargo seriously and are taking steps to re-build the squad and cut our cloth better.

We also know Bruce is aware of the P&S situation as he has openly mentioned it since he arrived, so it's no surprise that we have to spend less than we have previously under Chansiri's reign.

The FL will have a busy summer - it's expected half of the league are going to have P&S issues at the end of the season. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with it becasue I can't imagine they are going to increase their staffing x20 to deal with all these clubs. The FL has also talked previously about P&S constantly being reviewed - and has been changed at least once already - so with half the league in danger, maybe the review will change the financial boundry...

3 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Possibly, but we can only go with what we know. Gray was the manager when those players came in.

Think Gray has said that signings such as Bus and Melo were not his signings but made by someone else. 

Think when they were his signings Gray has a not perfect but very good record in bringing players in.
I still think in hindsight was correct decision moving Gray on and bringing Carlos in but the biggest mistake was keeping Carlos when it was obvious things had gone stale. Should have gone after the Huddersfield play off game and an experienced Championship manager similar to Bruce brought in then.

During the first summer Chansiri was here, Gray had a contract that had a year to run. Chansiri had a simple choice to make, either extend Gray's contract knowing if he didn't the following season it would've caused a distraction or bring in his own man which he duly did. The rest as they say is history.

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think Gray has said that signings such as Bus and Melo were not his signings but made by someone else. 

Think when they were his signings Gray has a not perfect but very good record in bringing players in.
I still think in hindsight was correct decision moving Gray on and bringing Carlos in but the biggest mistake was keeping Carlos when it was obvious things had gone stale. Should have gone after the Huddersfield play off game and an experienced Championship manager similar to Bruce brought in then.

Shoudn't that be the other way around?

• Haha 1

I remember 4 very dull 0-0 draws in a row at Hillsborough under Gray on a seaside beach of a pitch.

Milan may have steadied the ship and many thanks are due, but we were a profit opportunity for a guy who really knew the business. Nowt up with that  but we've moved on. 

When we do go up and it'll be next year or the year after, we'll stay up.

Glad DC is learning the ropes now before the agent and player sharkfest of the Premier league. 

21 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Kills me how Gray seems to get remembered as a better and better manager every year since he left

You only have to look at our team that has played the last 4 season, how many of the starting 11 were signed by Gray or Carlos or already at the club.

Westwood, Lees, Loovens, Lee, Hutch - all gray signing, Palmer at the club.

When we look at our club losing £20m a season with a squad full of well paid players then you compare to what Gray had to work with - that's why fans view him as a good manager.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

You only have to look at our team that has played the last 4 season, how many of the starting 11 were signed by Gray or Carlos or already at the club.

When we look at our club losing £20m a season with a squad full of well paid players then you compare to what Gray had to work with - that's why fans view him as a good manager.

He was still "careful" tactically tho'

Jones was the best in that fleeting few months he "went for it"..then he lost interest...Bruce seems to of similar mould...but I doubt he will become as disinterested as Jones seemingly did

4 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Jones was the best in that fleeting few months he "went for it"..then he lost interest...Bruce seems to of similar mould...but I doubt he will become as disinterested as Jones seemingly did

Jones looked disinterested in life by the end. His demeanour by the end was shocking.  I think it's one of the few times I've actively called for someone to get the bullet. 

Jos and Bruce have the same squad to work from - look at the difference in results.

I would like to think if Gray had the squad we current have to work with we would be leaking 2 goals a game struggling in the bottom 6 of the league like we were under Jos.

We will never know but what Bruce has shown is you can have a decent team without changing that much or spending that much. 

A shame its taking so long to work it out.

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Jones looked disinterested in life by the end. His demeanour by the end was shocking.  I think it's one of the few times I've actively called for someone to get the bullet. 

It became glaringly obvious Snoots...Pity really , but I was the same...He didn't seemed in the least bit bothered

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Jos and Bruce have the same squad to work from - look at the difference in results.

I would like to think if Gray had the squad we current have to work with we would be leaking 2 goals a game struggling in the bottom 6 of the league like we were under Jos.

We will never know but what Bruce has shown is you can have a decent team without changing that much or spending that much. 

A shame its taking so long to work it out.

They don't...Iorfa and Aarons have made a big difference...but in no way would Jos even have thought about getting them

Just now, asteener1867 said:

They don't...Iorfa and Aarons have made a big difference...but in no way would Jos even have thought about getting them

Simply playing a solid back 4 week in week out has had a massive difference Fox and Palmer under Bruce are different players.

Its good to give youth a chance but not playing good players for kids is management suicide.

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, room0035 said:

I thought Dave Jones signed Kieran Lee.

7 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I am almost certain the players brought into the club when Chansiri first took over and Gray was still team manager were not brought in by Gray.

Correct, they were brought in by Paxo and his cronies. 

2 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Jones wanted to be sacked, it was pretty obvious imo, it coincided with the story coming out of his affair, think his missus wanted him home to keep an eye on him.

No coincidence either that he's only worked for 3 months since.

Edited by Weshallovercome

On 13/03/2019 at 13:23, WhiteOwl91 said:

It was more than a sensible appointment. 

DC has persuaded the manager with one of the best Championship CVs to come to a club with a transfer embargo looming. 

Cracking work and i don't think just 'any' owner would have got that over the line. 

Think its much more down to the club and especially fanbase though mate, Bruce mentioned the fanbase as being a big pull.

Doubt Chansiri has earnt a good reputation among managers, still time for that to change. Just hope he doesnt alienate Bruce this summer if we don't go up, that's my one worry.