Chansiri

3 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Sure he could have got at least 2m a year at many clubs Inc a premier one.

Agree with the first part but we were one of few looking for a manager at the time. Can't see a Premier league club going in for him. I believe he only ever really gets there with promotions, not straight up job offers. Could be wrong mind you

Long way to go but every right to be pleased with himself right now IMO.

That single decision to approach and ultimately sign Bruce has done more to galvanise the players and the fans than anything else he could have done. Probably more significant is that eventually, in what was arguably his darkest hour, he was finally able to find the right direction.

• Like 1

Should have never employed Jos in the first place, he must go down as one of the worst managers our club as had considering how he treated some senior pros 

We could have been top 2 this season with the right man in charge.

he should be sat annoyed with himself in my opinion.

I can’t see how we avoid an embargo come summer time and with so many players due to leave we’ll have a threadbare squad. 

We know the club have a track record of spinning a few stories in recent years, what’s to say SB wasn’t spun the same lines of bent truths and when reality hits he’s off. 

Lets hold off on the praise until we see what unfolds in the coming months.  There is still a lot wrong with the way the club is being run. 

10 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Sure he could have got at least 2m a year at many clubs Inc a premier one.

I don't think many Premier Clubs would have been interested in Steve Bruce. Maybe someone like Fulham or Huddersfield at a push might but that's about all.
Thats not to say I don't think Bruce is not a good manager, think he is best manager we have had for a while.
I do get the impression the club did have to pay a bit over the odds to get him though.

21 hours ago, Mr Hooper said:

Please bear in mind in the same forum he assured us that Jos was the right man for the job.

It really didn't look likely did it?

Credit to him for giving the job to Bruce. Great appointment and all we've wanted for the 2 years, a proper football man.

4 years

40 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

Come on mate.....the vast, vast majority of fans were creaming over Carlos ever though, to some at least, it was obvious he was an horrific appointment.

I'm not wearing this 'fans have been calling for a manager with experience of the league for four years' line now. 

Carlos was good for one season but we never should have got rid of Stuart Gray, The energy the team had that first season was down to the conditioning of Gray and his team and as Carlos had more and more time the team got more unfit and injuries started to pile up.

Gray had done wonders with no resources and playing on a sand pit of a pitch. But foreign owners like to bring in new managers and play football manager with real clubs.

Had Stuart Gray been retained and backed we probably would not had got to Wembley the first season but we would have build year on year and now we would be a well structured team not breaking FFP and million in debt and most likely challenging consistently at the top end of the league. Not to mention his ability to pick up good players for frees or loans. Westwood, Lees, Hutch the back bone of our team 4 years after Gray Left. 

Carlos should have gone after the Huddersfield semi final when we were awful but instead DC delayed, and delayed and eventually Carlos quit when he got the Swansea job, that wasted the whole of last season, then this season Jos clearly did not have a clue and again DC waited and waited and eventually when the fans turned on him he brought in a manager with experience of the English game and also a pedigree of promotion from the second division in English football.

DC has made a good choice in Bruce but he takes so long to make the decisions.

Look at Milan he sack a manager with us 3rd in the league after we had just beat Sheff Utd in a derby game and brought in a man who got us promoted that season. Milan made a decision quick and already had a man lined up.

We have wasted 2 season now and are slipping further and further into a financial mess because of silly contracts given to players the wrong side of 30 and injury prone. We have maybe 10 players on big contracts who never play Abdi, Jones, JVA, Hooper, Lee to name a few.

We could have got Steve Bruce in a lot earlier or an experience championship manager but didn't and now we are all hoping we get into the play off this years because if we don't with the way the football club is being run, it could be our last chance for 3 or 4 years unless we sell a lot of our better players to balance the book next season.

9 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Carlos was good for one season but we never should have got rid of Stuart Gray, The energy the team had that first season was down to the conditioning of Gray and his team and as Carlos had more and more time the team got more unfit and injuries started to pile up.

Gray had done wonders with no resources and playing on a sand pit of a pitch. But foreign owners like to bring in new managers and play football manager with real clubs.

Had Stuart Gray been retained and backed we probably would not had got to Wembley the first season but we would have build year on year and now we would be a well structured team not breaking FFP and million in debt and most likely challenging consistently at the top end of the league. Not to mention his ability to pick up good players for frees or loans. Westwood, Lees, Hutch the back bone of our team 4 years after Gray Left. 

Carlos should have gone after the Huddersfield semi final when we were awful but instead DC delayed, and delayed and eventually Carlos quit when he got the Swansea job, that wasted the whole of last season, then this season Jos clearly did not have a clue and again DC waited and waited and eventually when the fans turned on him he brought in a manager with experience of the English game and also a pedigree of promotion from the second division in English football.

DC has made a good choice in Bruce but he takes so long to make the decisions.

Look at Milan he sack a manager with us 3rd in the league after we had just beat Sheff Utd in a derby game and brought in a man who got us promoted that season. Milan made a decision quick and already had a man lined up.

We have wasted 2 season now and are slipping further and further into a financial mess because of silly contracts given to players the wrong side of 30 and injury prone. We have maybe 10 players on big contracts who never play Abdi, Jones, JVA, Hooper, Lee to name a few.

We could have got Steve Bruce in a lot earlier or an experience championship manager but didn't and now we are all hoping we get into the play off this years because if we don't with the way the football club is being run, it could be our last chance for 3 or 4 years unless we sell a lot of our better players to balance the book next season.

What's all this stuff about Gray based on?

Has he managed clubs and led them to the Premier League in the last 4 years and I've missed it?

He steadied the ship here, bought some utter crap when Chansiri bought the club, and the football was pretty difficult to watch in the main.

I like the man, but he's not exactly set the world alight as a football manager has he?

33 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Has he managed clubs and led them to the Premier League in the last 4 years and I've missed it?

He steadied the ship here, bought some utter crap when Chansiri bought the club, and the football was pretty difficult to watch in the main.

I like the man, but he's not exactly set the world alight as a football manager has he?

I am almost certain the players brought into the club when Chansiri first took over and Gray was still team manager were not brought in by Gray.

34 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Stuart Gray was part of the management team that got Fulham promoted last season, he has also re-joined Fulham to help Scott Parker out for the rest of the season

Stuart Gray Signings made up half of our team for all the time Carlos was here I would say he brought utter crap in. Westwood , Lees, Loovens, Hutchinson, Wallace. He also brought in the loans of Barkley and Wickham players still talked about today 5-6 years later.

Stuart Gray had very little injures and the team were well trained and match fit something we have not had since he left, the first season of Carlos and the energy of the players was down to Gray's set up not Carlos - as we saw once Carlos got to work with the players basic fitness was not high on his list of priorities. 

29 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Stuart Gray was part of the management team that got Fulham promoted last season, he has also re-joined Fulham to help Scott Parker out for the rest of the season

Stuart Gray Signings made up half of our team for all the time Carlos was here I would say he brought utter crap in. Westwood , Lees, Loovens, Hutchinson, Wallace. He also brought in the loans of Barkley and Wickham players still talked about today 5-6 years later.

Stuart Gray had very little injures and the team were well trained and match fit something we have not had since he left, the first season of Carlos and the energy of the players was down to Gray's set up not Carlos - as we saw once Carlos got to work with the players basic fitness was not high on his list of priorities. 

So, he's an excellent coach at this level with very little or successful management at this level? In fact, he's never been a manager since he left us? Doesn't that tell you something?

He also signed May, Keane, Bus, McGugan (loan), Melo, Vermijl, and Kelhar too. The players you listed above - all mainly good business, but also basement bargain signings. Would you have trusted Gray with big money, given his record purchase was Rory Delap for £4m in 2001 - when £4m was serious, serious cash?

I'm not belittling the job he did - it was solid under difficult circumstances - but saying he'd have got us promoted based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever is a tad naive.

On 13/03/2019 at 13:03, JackSWFC said:

The same fans forum he got laughed at when he said he still thought we would get promoted this season.

1 right decision in the past few years doesn't absolve him of any criticism.. he still has a lot to do to get things right. We are heading towards a transfer embargo and still charging rocket high prices ..

Admittedly though, firing Jos and bringing in Bruce, a man that knows his sh*t, is a step in the right direction - just needs to keep heading that way instead of tailing off somewhere and doing something ridiculous or wacky!! :laugh:

28 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

So, he's an excellent coach at this level with very little or successful management at this level? In fact, he's never been a manager since he left us? Doesn't that tell you something?

He also signed May, Keane, Bus, McGugan (loan), Melo, Vermijl, and Kelhar too. The players you listed above - all mainly good business, but also basement bargain signings. Would you have trusted Gray with big money, given his record purchase was Rory Delap for £4m in 2001 - when £4m was serious, serious cash?

I'm not belittling the job he did - it was solid under difficult circumstances - but saying he'd have got us promoted based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever is a tad naive.

Will Keane wasn't bad for us, think he got injured didn't he? McGugan under Gray was a vital signing and provided us with some good games ... it fell apart under Carlos when they fell out and he's now left by the wayside probably because of that experience. Kelhar .. you joking. What about Uchechi. They were Mandaric signings brought in .. I honest don't believe  that Melo, Vermillj and reckon there was someone else were Gray signings, they smack of chairman or some 3rd party involvement signing.

And yes, i would have absolutely trusted Gray with money ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Gray worked wonders with no support from above, he brought in player cast aside by other teams and developed them and improved them players which have for the last 4 or 5 years been the mainstay of our team.

Yes the football was not great at time but they were playing on the worse pitch I had seen at Hillsborough in my 40+ years. But had Gray still been here we probably would not be having to pay £40 a game to pay for all of the players we have who never play or are never fit.

Carlos spent more in two seasons than the previous 10 managers and achieve nothing other than a trip to Wembley - it was a good day but his management of the club together with the chairman trusting the wrong advisors has put our club back to a worst place than when DC took over and the pain is not over the summer could be a very difficult time for the club and next season could be a good season if we avoid relegation at £40 a game for the POTG.

You have a very short memory about how good McGugan was his career, his career finished with us because he would not play left wing so Carlos black balled him. Gray signed cheap players and made them better a lot like another manager in Sheffield at the moment. He signed the players he was allowed and made us a solid championship team on a bottom 3 budget.

8 hours ago, hawksmore said:

I can’t see how we avoid an embargo come summer time and with so many players due to leave we’ll have a threadbare squad. 

We know the club have a track record of spinning a few stories in recent years, what’s to say SB wasn’t spun the same lines of bent truths and when reality hits he’s off. 

Lets hold off on the praise until we see what unfolds in the coming months.  There is still a lot wrong with the way the club is being run. 

So Bruce took the job on a lie, will walk away when the "Lie" turns into reality, despite the fact that Bruce has acknowledged the tough summer ahead from day one practically, Give Bruce a little credit, he knows the score. 

5 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

So Bruce took the job on a lie, will walk away when the "Lie" turns into reality, despite the fact that Bruce has acknowledged the tough summer ahead from day one practically, Give Bruce a little credit, he knows the score. 

Completely agree - I think the beauty of Bruce he has contacts at big clubs and will get us a few good quality loans in for not a lot of money.

I just hope DC allows Bruce to do things his way and not meddle like he has done so much in the past.

38 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Looking at the facts as we know so far, do you think we will be under an embargo this summer?