Are we THAT team

17 hours ago, Sheff6 said:

Yes that's my name too. There were four generations of us Tom Crawshaws alive at one time in our family: Tommy the footballer, his son, my Grandad, his son in turn - my Dad, and me.  I was 9 yrs old when Tommy died in 1960.  By coincidence my Mom, Dad and me ended up living on the same Council Estate as my Gt. Grandad towards the end of his life, on Lowedges, after he retired from being landlord of The Yorkshireman in town.

We used to joke that we were all called Tom due to a distinct lack of imagination when naming sons in our family- as in... 'what is it - a boy?'  'Yes, I'm thinking of calling him Tom after his Dad, what do you think?' - 'Yep that'll do, get on with it.'.  Of course the  truth is we were all so proud of Tommy, that his name was bound to thought of when sons came along.  

I don't know if you were at 'The Olive Grove Years' evening, at Hillsborough November 2017, as part of the 150th anniversary, but I gave a talk about Tommy at that event, which was really well attended. I was amazed at how many people knew so much about him.   A lot of people were moved by the last slide I showed of him aged 76, at Hillsborough, in 1949, at the 50th anniversary of Wednesday moving to the ground from Olive Grove..  I said that he had two things in his possession that day that he was very proud of, his two FACup  winnders medalss on his watch chain, and also two things he wouldn't wish on anybody his pair of crutches - a legacy of his commitment to Wednesday, playing on in game after game whilst injured.  That's commitment for you and why so many people wanted to shaaake my hand afterwards        .

I reckon I  might have played the odd game with you in Greenhill Park. Used to play for Greenhill Rangers. Any recollection Tom?

7 hours ago, Kevan said:

I reckon I  might have played the odd game with you in Greenhill Park. Used to play for Greenhill Rangers. Any recollection Tom?

Where I lived on Gresley Road was no more than 50 yds away from the entrance gate to Greenhill park at the gold course end - and the football pitch was right there behind it.  I was always on there having a kickabout with the lads , so it's more than possible our paths have crossed.  I also used to play on the Youth club 5-a-side pitch (more like 7 or 8 a side) on Gresley as well, at night under the floodlights.  I played for Grennel Mower team on Saturday in the Wragg league (that's for seniors now I think) on Mather Road. There were some good players in that Lowedges side including Fred Booker and brothers Dave and Pat O'Brian ex Sheffield Boys team. I also played for a Shiregreen pub team 'The Penguin' on Sunday at Concord Park and Park Gardeners Working Men's Club from Park district at a pitch near Herries Road - and the odd game for Chesterfield Miner's Welfare.  So if you've played for or against any of that lot 1972-1976, our paths will prob have crossed.  I ruptured my ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) in my knee playing for Grennel Mower against Colley WMC at Colley 1976 through somebody tackling me from behind - the ******* - and could never play again.  

• Like 1

Yes Tom, you had the occasional kick about with us in the park, near your home. Others that lived nearby were Ian Handley, Paul Irving, John Barton . Those names might mean something to you, but you're a few years older than us.  I also recall you played piano.  My father was a professional pianist and I had lessons too,  as a kid, but  football took up most of my spare time.  

I recall you once played Baby Elephant Walk when you were showing me your piano. Strange things we remember eh?

On 13/03/2019 at 13:07, Sheff6 said:

Neon Nick seems to have twigged this, but has anyone else?  Wednesday won the FA Cup in 1907 and 1935 and the League Cup in 1991.  The gaps between these years is a multiple of 28.  If you add 28 years on to 1991, it brings us to 2019.  Just a coincidence probably, I know, but the intriguing thing is this... the calendar repeats itself exactly every 28 years.

The first of the above dates means a lot to us in our family because my Gt Grandad Tommy led Wednesday to beat Everton in the 1907 Cup Final and when he did so on the 3rd Saturday in April of that year, at Crystal Palace, it turned out to be the 20th April as it is this year, as it was in 1935 and again in 1991. 

It's probably just a load of old statistical cobblers', not to say depressing, to think that we only win stuff every 28 years, or multiples of 28 yrs, but I thought I'd raise it here as a matter of interest.  Will we win the play-off Cup this year to add to the other Cups we've won when the calendar exactly repeated itself?  We've got a mountain to climb just to be in it, let alone win it, but lets hope we can put a run together to nick it.      

Are you taking about Tom Crawshaw?

• Thanks 1

On 13/03/2019 at 05:23, Birley Owl 1867 said:

It's a myth.

Only 2 teams have come from out of nowhere to reach the playoffs since 2000.

So it’s not a myth if it’s happened then, on average 1 out of every 9 seasons so far. 

lol 

On 13/03/2019 at 15:36, alanharper said:

They've only got 4 games before then. It's impossible for them to secure promotion before they play us even if they win all 4 and Norwich and pigs lose all 4.

It's highly unlikely but there's a tiny chance that Norwich could be already promoted when we play them but I think they'd have to win their next 6 and pigs lose every game before then.

But Norwich are at Villa on the final day of the season. It’s quite possible we would need Norwich to still be hungry.

Edited by Holmowl

On 13/03/2019 at 06:33, steelowl said:

H  Blackburn Rovers  Sat Mar 16 2019 15:00

A  Stoke City  Sat Mar 30 2019 15:00

H  Aston Villa  Sat Apr 06 2019 15:00

H Nottingham Forest  Tue Apr 09 2019 19:45

A  Leeds United  Sat Apr 13 2019 17:30

A  Norwich City  Fri Apr 19 2019 15:00

H  Bristol City  Mon Apr 22 2019 15:00

A  Preston North End  Sat Apr 27 2019 15:00

H  Queens Park Rangers  Sun May 05 2019 12:30

No worries 

Need 20 points at least. Hope we can do it 

On 12/03/2019 at 22:33, steelowl said:

H  Blackburn Rovers  Sat Mar 16 2019 15:00   4-2   another ratchet up 

A  Stoke City  Sat Mar 30 2019 15:00

H  Aston Villa  Sat Apr 06 2019 15:00

H Nottingham Forest  Tue Apr 09 2019 19:45

A  Leeds United  Sat Apr 13 2019 17:30

A  Norwich City  Fri Apr 19 2019 15:00

H  Bristol City  Mon Apr 22 2019 15:00

A  Preston North End  Sat Apr 27 2019 15:00

H  Queens Park Rangers  Sun May 05 2019 12:30

No worries 

image.thumb.png.810ebb120e6160771e1855abb5ccb1bc.png

Come on !

We’ve definitely got momentum. We’re certainly not the finished article but we’re getting better game by game, and just in time. Defensively we look very solid and I think that’s giving the midfield and forwards real confidence and allowing them to start finding their attacking form.  I wouldn’t fancy playing us right now....

2 hours ago, Dezzabezza said:

We’ve definitely got momentum. We’re certainly not the finished article but we’re getting better game by game, and just in time. Defensively we look very solid and I think that’s giving the midfield and forwards real confidence and allowing them to start finding their attacking form.  I wouldn’t fancy playing us right now....

welcome mate and I agree 

10 hours ago, steelowl said:

welcome mate and I agree 

The performance yesterday wasn’t good, we were outfought in midfield and sloppy at the back. You look at the run in and the level of performance needs to improve from that significantly or the dream will end pretty quickly. 

1 hour ago, Pale Rider said:

The performance yesterday wasn’t good, we were outfought in midfield and sloppy at the back. You look at the run in and the level of performance needs to improve from that significantly or the dream will end pretty quickly. 

bit of a half empty view with all due respect mate 

but we were weaker in midfield minus hutch no doubt 

Not worried about Leeds or Norwich to tell the truth it's the lesser teams that worry me that said I would love us to do it but i'll take the games  day by day and if we can tighten the defence a little who knows what can happen ,

On 14/03/2019 at 21:03, Great Big Galaa said:

Last 10 games of last three seasons reads

2015/16 - 18 Points

2016/17 - 19 Points

2017/18 - 20 Points

This suggests that this squad of players are more than capable of finishing this season strongly and with a proven experienced Manager at the helm perhaps we can finish even stronger?

Suggests to me, we getting 21 points.

:Sid:

• Haha 1