Are we THAT team

4 hours ago, alanharper said:

Fulham didn't come from nowhere last season. They were promotion favourites and had a poor first few months of the season but hit form and were in the top 6 by the end of January, finished 3rd only missing out on autos by 2 points and were 15 points clear of 7th. 

Season before they did.

11 hours ago, Sheff6 said:

Does the period of 28 years mean anything to anybody??  Clue.... something to do with stats but not about football per se - but about the calendar.... 1907, 1935, 1991, 2019. There's a problem with 1963.  Dunno what happened there and why, but there's something more to the fact that we've won something significant in gaps of 28 years - and it's to do with the calendar - what is it?

Neon Nick seems to have twigged this, but has anyone else?  Wednesday won the FA Cup in 1907 and 1935 and the League Cup in 1991.  The gaps between these years is a multiple of 28.  If you add 28 years on to 1991, it brings us to 2019.  Just a coincidence probably, I know, but the intriguing thing is this... the calendar repeats itself exactly every 28 years.

The first of the above dates means a lot to us in our family because my Gt Grandad Tommy led Wednesday to beat Everton in the 1907 Cup Final and when he did so on the 3rd Saturday in April of that year, at Crystal Palace, it turned out to be the 20th April as it is this year, as it was in 1935 and again in 1991. 

It's probably just a load of old statistical cobblers', not to say depressing, to think that we only win stuff every 28 years, or multiples of 28 yrs, but I thought I'd raise it here as a matter of interest.  Will we win the play-off Cup this year to add to the other Cups we've won when the calendar exactly repeated itself?  We've got a mountain to climb just to be in it, let alone win it, but lets hope we can put a run together to nick it.      

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, alanharper said:

They were 7th by February, so hardly came from nowhere - and they lost in the playoff semis anyway. OP said teams that come from nowhere and get promoted, it's actually very rare.

of course it is but it can happen   Reading and Sunderland to name 2 

31 minutes ago, andytrig said:

Realistically we are going to need 22 points from the remaining 9 matches. So 7 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat.

I'm always incredibly optimistic and want to believe it's possible, which it is but it's statistically highly unlikely, especially with some of the fixtures that are left.

However, next season.........

So lose to Norwich, draw with Leeds, win the rest...... is it that outrageous? Really?

14 hours ago, stocksyuto said:

Fulham's last 20 games they won 19 and drew 1 or so I read somewhere

just had look.. after 22 games, Fulham had 29 points.. in their final 24 games they got 59 points, w18 d5 l1 - a remarkable achievement.

interestingly, game 23; when their season picked up, is the same as when ours did (1-0 v Preston) after Dross did one.

they finished on 88 points, we're not going to get close to that, but 6th is certainly possible

stats are stats  have no bearing on the future they are a good guide but Tbf we have to rely on the form of the fellow chasers from 7th place down that is the real target to better what 6th place does 

is it likely no

is it possible yes 

has it been done yes 

did anyone who did it or got close have to deal with our injuries i very much doubt it 

15 hours ago, steelowl said:

The one that comes from absolutely nowhere to grab a spot in the playoffs and goes up  

not sure of the actual stats but fulham came in on a hot streak everyone knew they would do it  ..could we 

so it's been done before several times  we have the momentum and the football gods owe us one 

I laughed at someone before the United game who even mentioned the play--offs.

Now I'm starting to dream that we are THAT team! lol

*que we lose at home to Blackburn on Saturday*

12 hours ago, Sheff6 said:

Does the period of 28 years mean anything to anybody??  Clue.... something to do with stats but not about football per se - but about the calendar.... 1907, 1935, 1991, 2019. There's a problem with 1963.  Dunno what happened there and why, but there's something more to the fact that we've won something significant in gaps of 28 years - and it's to do with the calendar - what is it?

Saturns return to the original position in the astological chart is every 28 years roughly. It governs order and sacrifice, organisation, learning from past mistakes and bringing in new ways of doing things. It is about age, wisdom and tradition to teach and renew. It involves hardship and difficult decisions to go about things in the right way. It is about death and rebirth and the transition to new life. In animal symbolism, Saturn historically governs nocturnal birds of prey such as the owl. 

Probobobobobly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Weren't Crystal Palace bottom in December and reached (and won) the play-offs not so long ago too? Under Iain Dowie?

FFS, I need to stop believing! lol

nope nobody's done it ever...ever, it can't be done :biggrin:

• Like 1

interesting facts to peruse for stattos from

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11127827/the-rule-of-17-can-your-club-still-get-promoted-from-the-sky-bet-championship

Last 39 promoted teams - league position after 17 games

Season            Team (final position)   Position after 17 games

2016/17          

Newcastle (Champions)          1st

Brighton (Promoted)                2nd

Huddersfield (play/offs)           4th

2015/16          

Burnley (C)      5th

Middlesbrough (P)  3rd

Hull (p/o)         1st

2014/15          

Bournemouth (C)   2nd

Watford (P)      5th

Norwich (p/o)   10th

2013/14          

Leicester (C)   1st

Burnley (P)      2nd

QPR (p/o)        3rd

2012/13          

Cardiff (C)       2nd

Hull (P)            4th

Crystal Palace (p/o)    1st

2011/12          

Reading (C)      14th

Southampton (P)  1st

West Ham (p/o)      2nd

2010/11          

QPR (C)          2nd

Norwich (P)     8th

Swansea (p/o) 3rd

2009/10          

Newcastle (C) 1st

West Brom (P) 2nd

Blackpool (p/o)   7th

2008/09          

Wolves (C)      1st

Birmingham (P)    2nd

Burnley (p/o)   4th

2007/08          

West Brom (C)            2nd

Stoke (P)         10th

Hull (p/o)         9th

2006/07          

Sunderland (C)    19th

Birmingham (P)    3rd

Derby (p/o)      5th

2005/06          

Reading (C)     2nd

Sheff Utd (P)   1st

Watford (p/o)   3rd

2004/05          

Sunderland (C)   3rd

Wigan (P)        1st

West Ham (p/o)     6th

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, alcock dived said:

Saturns return to the original position in the astological chart is every 28 years roughly. It governs order and sacrifice, organisation, learning from past mistakes and bringing in new ways of doing things. It is about age, wisdom and tradition to teach and renew. It involves hardship and difficult decisions to go about things in the right way. It is about death and rebirth and the transition to new life. In animal symbolism, Saturn historically governs nocturnal birds of prey such as the owl. 

Probobobobobly

Phew! Brilliant stuff - and sounds like the story of our lives being Wednesday supporters, especially the stuff about sacrifice, hardship, death and rebirth!!  All I meant though was that the calendar repeats itself exactly every 28 yrs, and that this has happened (or multiples of it) whenever we've won a Cup Competition, 1907, 1935, then 2 x 28 to 1991, followed by perlease... 2019, for the Play-off Cup, or we've blown another 28 yrs!

6 hours ago, steelowl said:

Our new manager watches the cricket instead the little teaser

walks in arranges 3 players who improve us in 1 day 

converts palmer into a player

10 games unbeaten with such a shame about the draws

And all this while eating all those kebabs.

I'd so much love to see us change the Wednesday way into something positive for just one season. They say that team that just somehow scrapes those points with occasionally really crap football is the one which you need to watch out for. Steve Bruce's Sheffield Wednesday looks like one right now.

4 hours ago, mrrodge said:

I think we need 10 points from the next 4 going into the Leeds game which is a huge ask and as much as i'd love it to happen I think we are just going to fall short

Roll on next season

The best thing with the Leeds game that could also help us, is that by then if they've secured promotion they may take the foot off the gas a little. 

7 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

The best thing with the Leeds game that could also help us, is that by then if they've secured promotion they may take the foot off the gas a little. 

They've only got 4 games before then. It's impossible for them to secure promotion before they play us even if they win all 4 and Norwich and pigs lose all 4.

It's highly unlikely but there's a tiny chance that Norwich could be already promoted when we play them but I think they'd have to win their next 6 and pigs lose every game before then.