Travel for tonight over woodhead/snake

I'll be travelling by car tonight to Bolton. They've issued warnings for woodhead about snow, ice and visibility.

I don't normally travel across woodhead unless were playing over that way so I've no idea how bad it's been the last couple of weeks with the cold weather.

Is anyone else risking the trip? I have to be back as early as possible since I have work at 6am. Should I expect it to be closed this evening?

Cheers. And to anyone else whos making the journey, have a safe trip! 

Edited by Daveabuk

looks bloody awful at around the time we are heading home, rain, snow and some pretty strong winds. If it were this side of the Pennines Id go but its a poor journey at the best of times so i think im going to turn snowflake on this one.

1 minute ago, clud17 said:

looks bloody awful at around the time we are heading home, rain, snow and some pretty strong winds. If it were this side of the Pennines Id go but its a poor journey at the best of times so i think im going to turn snowflake on this one.

Don’t not go because of the weather it’s really not that bad at all . UTO . 

If its any help to you.   I went to Manchester airport yesterday morning over the tops but avoided the snake & woodhead.    Set your sat nav for Adlington then Manchester airport. The route is : Castleton, up Winnets pass, right at top, down to Chapel on le frith, Whaley bridge follow the winding roads, turn right through Pott Shrigley, then Adlington. A word of warning, the Manchester motorway network can be a problem during rush hour.   Good luck and hopefully 3 points. 

Woodhead is open and clear. I've just come back from Liverpool an hour ago . No issues at present. BUT there are roadworks on the M57 and it was very slow through them. So if allow extra time if you are going tonight.

32 minutes ago, S A Andy said:

If its any help to you.   I went to Manchester airport yesterday morning over the tops but avoided the snake & woodhead.    Set your sat nav for Adlington then Manchester airport. The route is : Castleton, up Winnets pass, right at top, down to Chapel on le frith, Whaley bridge follow the winding roads, turn right through Pott Shrigley, then Adlington. A word of warning, the Manchester motorway network can be a problem during rush hour.   Good luck and hopefully 3 points. 

winnets pass in ice and snow  ok if 4 wheel drive 

1 hour ago, S A Andy said:

I’ve used an almost identical route for donkey’s years, I avoid the Cat & Fiddle by going to the right at the top of Winnets, I then pick up the by-pass and turn left at it’s end, going through Whaley Bridge, then turning right at the lights onto the road signposted Macclesfield, the rest as per your post.