Fletch fitness test & team

Looks like a late fitness test for Fletcher with a foot injury. Though at the time he seemed to me to be holding his ankle.

Nevertheless, it's looking like the in form targetman is a big doubt.

Supect given his recent form Bruce would love to pick him if there's any chance to. In his absence I think Nuhui will get the nod at the tip of the attacking prong.

Especially against a side like this who are likely to mix it up a bit.

Will Bruce start Winnall who looked lively on Saturday?

I have a feeling he'll stick with Boyd. Bruce said himself he was dissapointed he didn't protect Lazaar more after having not played for so long.

Clearly a manager who has some self introspection and care for his players. Might he deem it too much too soon for our recovering Brummie stiker? Will he take the risk.

Given his comments on our injury managment I'm not so sure he will.

image.png.cbf2bd64b008c969637c07cb0d75ba4d.png

I don't think he'll change the back four. And rightly so given the way they are playing.

Though I do feel slightly for Palmer, playing the best stuff he has for years but having to sit out on the opposite and unatural flank.

Also think, for all his quality that he's shown in recent weeks that the right footed left back is something (whoever that player is -I'm not pulling Liam) that slows down our impetus attacking down that flank.

• Thanks 1

The only change I can see Lord is Boyd.... I think he HAS to go for it tonight. If Winnall is fit enough to start I think he will otherwise he may go for Matias, in his last chance outing.

Playing Boyd is a mistake for me. Would rather him give a youngster a go than Boyd myself.

I don't disagree, Dutch. It was great to see Winnall get a run out, and look quite sharp. Could probably consider himself unlucky not to have got a goal for his display.

He's been out a long time though and I just get the sense Bruce might be mindful of that.

Boyd, I am willing to do well, but I'm not seeing it. Mind...he'd have had a goal himself if Reach had managed to get a bit more pull back on that chance on Saturday. Goal might have done the lad the world of good.

But that's ifs and buts.

Bruce doesn't seem to fancy Matias. His last outing on the flank was dreadful. Though I do wonder whether like you said he might be a better option down the middle. It's a position he played before before he joined us. And indeed, a position he played in with some success in the cup matches last season making those darts from deep which does seem to be something we lack in the side. (Hutchinsons lung buster V the pigs aside)

Just going on that team lineup and how we fared in the United fixture. 

We're very much a set play team. With height in the box causing problems. 

United got the ball in the box at every opportunity. Full backs whipping it in. I cant see us doing that with that lineup. Iorfa could become a goal machine

Great news if he has a fitness test.

Sounds like the injuries weren’t as bad as they appeared on Saturday. Worst case scenario, he is ready for Blackburn.

Pethaps he will be on the bench tonight and kept for emergencies.

22 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

The only change I can see Lord is Boyd.... I think he HAS to go for it tonight. If Winnall is fit enough to start I think he will otherwise he may go for Matias, in his last chance outing.

Playing Boyd is a mistake for me. Would rather him give a youngster a go than Boyd myself.

or even just play with 10 :Sid:

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

I don't disagree, Dutch. It was great to see Winnall get a run out, and look quite sharp. Could probably consider himself unlucky not to have got a goal for his display.

He's been out a long time though and I just get the sense Bruce might be mindful of that.

Boyd, I am willing to do well, but I'm not seeing it. Mind...he'd have had a goal himself if Reach had managed to get a bit more pull back on that chance on Saturday. Goal might have done the lad the world of good.

But that's ifs and buts.

Bruce doesn't seem to fancy Matias. His last outing on the flank was dreadful. Though I do wonder whether like you said he might be a better option down the middle. It's a position he played before before he joined us. And indeed, a position he played in with some success in the cup matches last season making those darts from deep which does seem to be something we lack in the side. (Hutchinsons lung buster V the pigs aside)

This is a very good post Lord

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Great news if he has a fitness test.

Sounds like the injuries weren’t as bad as they appeared on Saturday. Worst case scenario, he is ready for Blackburn.

Pethaps he will be on the bench tonight and kept for emergencies.

Shame if he is out as he's been terrific this year and his recent increase in getting shots away has been an added bonus.

A real focal point, especially in this system.

I think there is scope for Bruce to go there with a 4-4-2 and a more traditional front pairing.

But I do wonder, even though he's not as reactionary in terms of the opposition as Carlos and Jos whether he might have one eye on the way Bolton line up.

Ameobi might be given the deep lying role again rather than on the flank and that would look like something to keep an eye.

Last thing we need is the lad getting up a head of stean and haring straight at our defence.

image.png.d9cdb25a2ddf7845eea516eca4360a9c.png

If Hutchinson is tasked with being the one to detail him then it might mean it's ore likely an attacking midfilder playing off Fletcher/Nuhui and dropping back in to help out in the middle numbers games.

It's things like that that make me think we might see Boyd get the nod again.

All guess work of course but be interesting to see what Bruce does.

No matter what the side just hope that we go with a positive attitude and put in the effort shown against derby (especially second half) anything less we will struggle, bolton has not been a happy hunting grround of late so we need to chang that uto.

I'm actually relieved if Fletcher's 'fit enough' to be facing a late fitness test because I just assumed he'd be out for a while. Even so, if there's any risk with him, I'd rather we didn't take it and let him have the rest while Blackburn.

Like others, I hope Boyd doesn't start. He still works hard and does get into good positions, but he just doesn't seem to be able to move his body quickly enough any more.

I think Bruce gives him the nod because he knows he'll do the job he's asked to, and I can always understand why managers like those players. I think it's also why Matias has been overlooked for the job recently. He lost his man for Swansea's goal a couple of weeks ago, and I suppose that's the sort of thing that worries managers! Although I thought Bannan's berating of him seemed bizarrely excessive at the time.

Having said that, I don't think it's an unwillingness to do the defensive work as I thought this side of his performances this season under Luhukay and then Bullen had been very impressive. I think when Agnew started picking the team and tweaked a few things, Matias' performances started to drop off and eventually he found himself out of the team (though I think he picked up a calf strain at some point too?). I actually thought Reach looked a little lost in that transition period too, but Reach's assist record is good enough to overlook what would otherwise be poor performances (and in any case, Reach's performances in playing as an actual proper winger have been generally excellent this last month).

4-5-1 Nuhiu up top, Aarons and Reach staying wide getting balls into the box at every chance becoming a more 4-3-3 in possession, Winnall on after an hour if it's not working out. 

Westwood

Iorfa

Lees

Hector

Palmer 

Pelupessy 

Reach

Hutchinson 

Bannan 

Aarons 

Nuhiu