Expectations Too High This Season.

Seems some people on here think a point at Derby is a bad result. Seems to me expectations from some are set a little to high for this season. I am just glad the car crash we were heading for in December has been averted. Bruce has had a good start and the signs are good for next season. Enjoy the remainder of this and we can well and truly challenge next season.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Seems some people on here think a point at Derby is a bad result. Seems to me expectations from some are set a little to high for this season. I am just glad the car crash we were heading for in December has been averted. Bruce has had a good start and the signs are good for next season. Enjoy the remainder of this and we can well and truly challenge next season.

spot on pal,but a couple of changes in personel are required,let's get a few of the crocks of the wage bill at least,and a couple of let's be honest div 1 players we are carrying

Guest wilyfox

I think it was hope & wishful thinking rather than expectation. It's been 2yrs since we were contenders, and injuries have crippled us since then. Most would acknowledge that. 

I'd argue that expectation was justifiably high at the start of the season. It's only the fact that Dross was in charge that it decimated confidence if a decent manager was in charge from day 1 we'd be pushing well into the playoffs right now.

All its taken was to reinstate Westwood, hutch and to a lesser extent, Boyd and its totally transformed the team. If this was done at the start of the season there'd be a very good chance we'd be sitting pretty in the top 6 will points the spare.

Edited by agentwalker

Its expectation next season thats going to be the problem.

We see how Bruce has started, and no doubt most will expect it to carry on into the next one.

If it comes to worst case scenario, embargos, etc...We simply have to grin and bear it..Let him get on with it, and let him build it.

It could be really hard going the next year or so, and I think the fans have to recognise that.

The club should also come out and tell it like it is..If that is the case.

In my view we have got the best manager we could have wished for, ..We have to let him get on with it.

• Like 1

Just now, The Captain said:

With our insane ticket prices, fans are perfectly within their rights to have high expectations.

Otherwise we’re just being ripped-off.

Ticket prices are ridiculous mate...Ive said that times many...But lets be honest...it raises expectations artificially...Cos what we have is what we have.

It could be £100 POTG..It doesn't change the squad we have, if under an embargo for the wastage of the last 3 years..and its hardly the fault of Steve Bruce..is it?

I'm simply being realistic

40 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Absolutely no chance of top six next season.

3 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Expectations were low -  I had us to finish 10th so the season ending as expected.

My expectations were very similar. After the poor run we had in October to mid December I think top half is a good finish. Then see what finances we have and what SB can do with his contacts preseason. It may involve player wheeling and dealing rather than cash , plus loan players.

I think most people had realistic expectations before the season started.

The pre season poll certainly showed many with realistic expectation levels. 

Somehow though as the season wore on, the worse the team got, some people's expectations seemed to get higher. Which is bizarre. Perhaps it's selective memory thing. Or perhaps the only way people could put into words how dissapointing things were. Who knows. 

58 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Think it’s more about hope and wanting, rather than expectation. The bulk of our highest quality players have been injured for the last season and a half, so I’m not sure anyone should be expecting anything more than avoiding the drop.  The last few months have given the fans some welcome optimism, but I hope everyone is still realistic. 

It's not so much the expectation in footballing terms I don't think. As the poll showed earlier in the season , on a purely footballing level most people seemed to have a grasp that we'd probably be a mid-table side this season, even taking ito account our decent run at the end of last season it didn't convince many people otherwise. 

The pricing as Asteener mentions earlier, and to a certain extent the money we have spent on players and their wages build a different sort of expectation. The one that says "For this money...we should get that level"

But that is rarely the case in football (unless you are sponsored by a country and are bringing in World class coaches and playing talents.)

Genuine expectation should only be governed by what you see on the park and to that end I think most people have had a decent grasp on what this season was likely to be all about.

image.thumb.png.ba8d4f9d54518cbf296fbe95af538bc5.png

14 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Always all over the place though thanks to things like pricing, chairmans statements etc

People thought we'd be hitting the play offs even after Luhukay made 2 loan signings and our squad was decimated with injuries and crap ...

We are still on a very long road to recovery. Bruce is steadying the ship but the summer is going to be crucial for us in terms of whats gonna happen next season ..

Point at Derby was a very good result imo. We now have a group of players that on the whole seem to be giving their all for the club and actually look like they want to play for the manager. So so different from what we looked like under Jos. My expectations next season will be a lot more positive than they ever where under Jos. 

Think I would have predicted top half but not in play offs at start of the season and that where we will probably finish.

Not sure what will happen next season as not sure what leeway thew club will have with transfers.

We will still have bad matches under Bruce but don't expect 2 bad performances in a row.

14 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

A draw at Derby isn't a bad result as such, even the top two would be reasonably satisfied with that, but I think people are disappointed because it really was a must win game in terms of keeping our play off chances alive and we did have the chances to win it. The draw keeps us 6, realistically 7 with the goal difference, adrift of Derby which with the remaining fixures is going to be almost impossible to make up. A win would have put us 3 (4 with GD) behind and still in with a decent chance.

I think the good run at the end of last season (even with Jos) and the hope a good pre-season to get players back fit give us the higher expectations.

The fact we blooded a few decent youngsters,  which to be honest we all liked really,  and the fact FF was looking fit and scoring raised our hopes.

The rest is history.

The league is very open tbh and expect it to be like it next year, I can't see any major spending by any clubs just shuffling players around on loans / out of contract.

It will be upto Bruce and Co to get the team firing from day one to give us a good start,  then we can see how we progress.