Lee Cattermole

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

Were we not linked with him in the press somewhere at the start of the season. It was rubbish then and probably still is.

If I could ban any comment on here it would be the old “ we could sign him as backup “.

We shouldn’t be signing anybody with the intention of them only being good enough to be backup.

There are plenty of good players out there and we should only sign somebody who we think is good enough to play in the best eleven.

Ottherwise you end up with George Boyd and Dave Jones 

For me the only time we should contemplate signing a player as "Backup" for me is a youngster that has showed promise and has time to improve to be used as a backup option to start with then hopefully pushing on in time. 

Reported to be on £50k a week when Sunderland were in the Prem. His wages will have dropped a bit since then but he’ll still be pulling in at least £35k a week.

Given our position with regards to FFP, this has to be a nine starter. 

I’d rather we spend the money on keeping Kieran Lee at the club.

4 hours ago, pj owl said:

Hopefully agent talk. Central midfield not a major priority for

me. 

We only have Hutchinson, Bannan and Pelupessy

Hutch is class but can't relied upon, Bannan seems to have become Danny Sonner-like in his quest for suspensions and Pelupessy is Crap.

We 100% need more centre midfielders in - just not Lee Cattermole.

6 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Reported to be on £50k a week when Sunderland were in the Prem. His wages will have dropped a bit since then but he’ll still be pulling in at least £35k a week.

Given our position with regards to FFP, this has to be a nine starter. 

I’d rather we spend the money on keeping Kieran Lee at the club.

Coaching the U18's? Can't seriously think he still has a playing career ahead of him?

2 hours ago, Hirst1867 said:

He really doesn't

Go look at the stats

I can understand why people would rather have Pelepussy as competition for Hutch though

Idiots

Just because Pelupessy is not the squad player we need in holding midfield to move forward with doesn't mean Cattermole is the right choice.

Back-to-back relegations, plenty of injuries and a weekly wage that would make Rhodes look like value for money. 

Idiot.

37 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

We only have Hutchinson, Bannan and Pelupessy

Hutch is class but can't relied upon, Bannan seems to have become Danny Sonner-like in his quest for suspensions and Pelupessy is Crap.

We 100% need more centre midfielders in - just not Lee Cattermole.

Jones, Lee, Reach???

Don’t disagree with your points though - however we know we won’t be able to go on a spending spree. Central defence (assuming Hector doesn’t stay) and a pacy goalscorer are a must if we are going to challenge. 

I did say ‘major’ priority 

Would also say wide players are more of a priority arguably depending on style of play.

Edited by pj owl

3 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Would bring a bit of bite to the midfield.

Maybe not the exact player we need. But pleased Bruce seems to want his type.

catermole and Hutch in the middle,like the old Everton dogs of war midfield,certainly couldn't say we had no bite anymore !!!

1 hour ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

Coaching the U18's? Can't seriously think he still has a playing career ahead of him?

I was using that as an example just to show how much I don't want Cattermole to sign.

Given his injury record it'd be crazy to offer Lee a new deal.