Iorfa in midfield?

2 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

It is and besides nothing makes a team weaker than trying to accommodate players into it rather than finding players that suit the managers vision. 

No it’s not. I’m just describing what I see as the manager’s conundrum. Life is full of conundrums and football’s had loads of them - the England national side has had classic ones e.g.  Greaves or Hurst, Shilton or Clemence, how do we accommodate Gerrard and Lampard without losing midfield “bite”, etc. 

The conundrum for us is that Iorfa is not as good as Palmer, Lees, Hector, Lazaar or Fox in their respective positions, so, when those players are fit, he’s not going to get into the defence if we stick with a back four, however, he’s bringing something different in pace, power and goals to the side and, in my opinion, making himself “undropable”, so should we accommodate Iorfa in some way and if so, how? My suggestion was in central-midfield. 

Its not a strange statement at all. 

32 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

RIGHT BACK or CENTRE BACK

Those are Iorfa's positions .. nothing further forward please unless its do or die time and we are chasing or its a corner!

Thanks for answering without having a pop. 

Should Bruce make him wait for his chance when everybody is fit or is he good enough now? 

12 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Thanks for answering without having a pop. 

Should Bruce make him wait for his chance when everybody is fit or is he good enough now? 

at centre back?

I don't Lees and Hector need to be displaced at the moment until there is an injury

I think Bruce might have Iorfa in mind to replace Hector next season if we don't bring anyone in with Palmer on the right (baker as backup) and Penny/Fox on the left

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

No it’s not. I’m just describing what I see as the manager’s conundrum. Life is full of conundrums and football’s had loads of them - the England national side has had classic ones e.g.  Greaves or Hurst, Shilton or Clemence, how do we accommodate Gerrard and Lampard without losing midfield “bite”, etc. 

The conundrum for us is that Iorfa is not as good as Palmer, Lees, Hector, Lazaar or Fox in their respective positions, so, when those players are fit, he’s not going to get into the defence if we stick with a back four, however, he’s bringing something different in pace, power and goals to the side and, in my opinion, making himself “undropable”, so should we accommodate Iorfa in some way and if so, how? My suggestion was in central-midfield. 

It is not about individuals in  positions , it is about the best team.

Fox has been fit for the last two games but only made the bench.

Even though we/you/even Bruce might think at the moment Palmer is a better right back than Iorfa in the last two games he has considered playing Palmer left back and Iorfa right makes us a better team. 

I tend to agree because Bruce is striving, albeit not always successfully, to get us playing a faster, dynamic , high tempo game. For this you need athletes on the pitch and Morgan Fox ain’t an athlete.

He is the most passive, reticent footballer I have seen. Takes an age to decide what to do with the ball , then does it slowly and can’t run.

From what we have seen last couple of games Palmer might be a better right back than Iorfa but he is also a better left back than Fox. 

Obviously a fit Lazaar might lead to a different conclusion but we ain’t got one.

15 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

It is not about individuals in  positions , it is about the best team.

Fox has been fit for the last two games but only made the bench.

Even though we/you/even Bruce might think at the moment Palmer is a better right back than Iorfa in the last two games he has considered playing Palmer left back and Iorfa right makes us a better team. 

I tend to agree because Bruce is striving, albeit not always successfully, to get us playing a faster, dynamic , high tempo game. For this you need athletes on the pitch and Morgan Fox ain’t an athlete.

He is the most passive, reticent footballer I have seen. Takes an age to decide what to do with the ball , then does it slowly and can’t run.

From what we have seen last couple of games Palmer might be a better right back than Iorfa but he is also a better left back than Fox. 

Obviously a fit Lazaar might lead to a different conclusion but we ain’t got one.

Good points but your last point is most pertinent to the question in my OP. The question I posed related to Lazaar being fit (along with the others), so what would you do if Palmer, Lazaar, Lees and Hector were fit?  What happens with Iorfa? 

25 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Good points but your last point is most pertinent to the question in my OP. The question I posed related to Lazaar being fit (along with the others), so what would you do if Palmer, Lazaar, Lees and Hector were fit?  What happens with Iorfa? 

Or what happens with Palmer? 

The more I see Palmer this season the more I think he is ready to move to his original position which was defensive midfield. 

The good news for us and Palmer in that eventuality is he becomes cover / potential first choice in 3 different positions. 

Edited by Beholder

7 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Or what happens with Palmer? 

The more I see Palmer this season the more I think he is ready to move to his original position which was defensive midfield. 

The good news for us and Palmer in that eventuality is he becomes cover / potential first choice in 3 different positions. 

The way Hutchinson flys into tackles (and wins them) is very unique. Pelupessy couldn't do it and I doubt Palmer could either.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

The way Hutchinson flys into tackles (and wins them) is very unique. Pelupessy couldn't do it and I doubt Palmer could either.

Yeah Hutch defo first choice but he isn't always fit. 

Palmer is s better player than Joey. 

5 hours ago, shandypants said:

Hurst and Greaves were not accommodated into the same, obviously neither were the keepers. In fact Lampard and Gerrard is a great example of accommodating players and not playing a system, and it not working. 

4 hours ago, shandypants said:

I honestly don’t know and I suppose at the moment it is a theoretical problem, we might not see Lazaar again.

I don’t see Iorfa as a midfield player it takes too long for the messages to get from his brain to his feet. Not nimble enough.

At the same time I acknowledge that Iorfa’s power and pace adds so much to the team.

After his first sub appearance I posted that a back 3 of Iorfa, Lees and Hector would be good but can’t see Bruce changing systems.

We might see something tomorrow night. An option given our lack of attacking players is to play Fox, play Palmer and Iorfa down the right with Reach going central. Better than playing Boyd in my eyes.

Lets not go down this route again. He's a right back who can cover center back if needs be. Lets play him there. If he is playing better than Palmer he plays, if Palmer is playing better he plays.

If the midfield isn't performing then we replace them with another midfielder (NOT Pelupessy). No square Pegs in Round Holes !