Iorfa in midfield?

53 minutes ago, alanharper said:

A couple of weeks ago from the same poster :

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/281015-iorfa-is-definitely-a-centre-half/

This thread - "Iorfa in midfield?"

He'll have Iorfa as a centre forward by the end of March. 

If you read my OP, you will see that I still maintain that he is s centre-half. My argument is that he won’t get in at fullback when Palmer and Lazaar are fit and that he won’t get in at centre-half while Lees and Hector are fit - all four are better players than him in their respective positions. I then put to my fellow Owlstakers that maybe the other position he might be able to play is central midfield if we can’t accommodate him elsewhere.  I didn’t actually state he should play there long term. I personally believe that a Iorfa is a centre-half. 

But anyway, thanks for debating and not trying to ridicule me. You’re a good fella. 

Who would have said Paul Warhurst would turn from defender to 3.4m striker.

like Shandy says if Lazaar comes back and Hector & Lees stay fit, Palmer back to R/B, IF we require a defensive midfielder.......

Iorfa or Pelupessy?

Maybe its just that he reminds me of Carlton Palmer.

Given the potential financial situation we might need to accept we ain’t going to be signing classy players.

If we are going to be shopping at Lidl then if you sign athletes with pace and power you always have a chance in this league.

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

If you read my OP, you will see that I still maintain that he is s centre-half. My argument is that he won’t get in at fullback when Palmer and Lazaar are fit and that he won’t get in at centre-half while Lees and Hector are fit - all four are better players than him in their respective positions. I then put to my fellow Owlstakers that maybe the other position he might be able to play is central midfield if we can’t accommodate him elsewhere.  I didn’t actually state he should play there long term. I personally believe that a Iorfa is a centre-half. 

But anyway, thanks for debating and not trying to ridicule me. You’re a good fella. 

I'm still not sure why you'd prefer Iorfa in central midfield and Palmer at right back rather than the other way around?

To me, Iorfa's main attribute is his pace - playing him in the middle of midfield where he'll have the least chance to utilise it seems counterintuitive. On the other hand, we know that Palmer can play in midfield, and with his added maturity, tactical awareness, and defensive solidity, he may make a better fist of it than when we saw him there in his younger days.

7 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

His first touch doesn't scream 'stick me in midfield', to be honest.

If it was a straight choice, I'd play Palmer in midfield and Iorfa at right back rather than the other way around.

I said in one of the other threads the other day, I'd play Iorfa rb and use Palmer as deputy /cover for both him and Hutch. 

He was naturally a cm when he first broke through here and now he seems to have picked up the motivation, fitness and work rate again I think it's a far better option than sticking Hector or Iorfa in here if we're missing hutch for whatever reason. 

I was looking at this yesterday when George Boyd was struggling.

I'd be tempted to play Reach central with Iorfa on the right, he's pacey, strong and direct, would cause problems.

..................Westwood

Palmer...Hector...Lees...Lazaar/Fox

..............Hutch....Bannan

Iorfa.............Reach.........Aarons

...................Fletcher

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm still not sure why you'd prefer Iorfa in central midfield and Palmer at right back rather than the other way around?

To me, Iorfa's main attribute is his pace - playing him in the middle of midfield where he'll have the least chance to utilise it seems counterintuitive. On the other hand, we know that Palmer can play in midfield, and with his added maturity, tactical awareness, and defensive solidity, he may make a better fist of it than when we saw him there in his younger days.

Palmer is the best fullback and, therefore, best right back in the club.  He should be played at right back.  

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

Palmer is the best fullback and, therefore, best right back in the club.  He should be played at right back.  

If Bruce thinks that, then I'm sure he'll play him at right back and keep Iorfa as backup.

Having seen the improvement in Palmer after playing second fiddle to Hunt for the past few seasons, I wouldn't bet against Iorfa having more to offer as a right back than we've seen in his five appearances so far, though.

10 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If Bruce thinks that, then I'm sure he'll play him at right back and keep Iorfa as backup.

Having seen the improvement in Palmer after playing second fiddle to Hunt for the past few seasons, I wouldn't bet against Iorfa having more to offer as a right back than we've seen in his five appearances so far, though.

I posed the question in my OP because Bruce has a fantastic dilemma. Let’s face it, Iorfa isn’t going to depose Palmer at right back and when Fox or Lazaar return, Palmer is back at right fullback. However, Iorfa has done well and is bringing goals - that can’t be ignored. I wasn’t advocating that Iorfa played in midfield, more wondering if he could. It’s a good problem for Bruce to have. 

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Let’s face it, Iorfa isn’t going to depose Palmer at right back

I'm not so sure of that.

Palmer has come on leaps and bounds as a right back since being second choice to Jack Hunt, but he still offers very little in the way of assists or goals.

Iorfa's four years younger than Palmer, has made a great start on the goalscoring front, and his pace could be a vital attacking outlet going forward. If he can continue to develop at the same kind of rate Palmer has during his mid twenties, then I could easily see him having the ability to be a regular starter ahead of Palmer before too long.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not so sure of that.

Palmer has come on leaps and bounds as a right back since being second choice to Jack Hunt, but he still offers very little in the way of assists or goals.

Iorfa's four years younger than Palmer, has made a great start on the goalscoring front, and his pace could be a vital attacking outlet going forward. If he can continue to develop at the same kind of rate Palmer has during his mid twenties, then I could easily see him having the ability to be a regular starter ahead of Palmer before too long.

I don’t think that will happen soon. 

12 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

His first touch doesn't scream 'stick me in midfield', to be honest.

If it was a straight choice, I'd play Palmer in midfield and Iorfa at right back rather than the other way around.

Did you ever see the first touch of Carlton Palmer? Ron Atkinson said Palmer covered every blade of grass. Then tongue in cheek said it was usually because his first touch was so bad.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, shandypants said:

I’m not sure that Iorfa plays at right back if both Palmer and Lazaar are fit, I also stand by my assertion (in another thread) that Iorfa is a centre-half but he isn’t going to depose Lees and Hector. The thing is that Iorfa is making himself (in the best way possible) unable to be dropped from the side. 

I think we should play him in a midfield three along with Hutchinson and Bannan. 

What do you reckon?  

Strange statement he is undroppable yet can’t displace Palmer, Hector or Lees. 

These are more questions for next season. 

For the remainder of this I expect Bruce will stick with what he has done with Palmer at lb and Iorfa right. 

But whatever happens we won't be seeing Iorfa in midfield I can pretty much guarantee that. 

20 hours ago, shandypants said:

I’m not sure that Iorfa plays at right back if both Palmer and Lazaar are fit, I also stand by my assertion (in another thread) that Iorfa is a centre-half but he isn’t going to depose Lees and Hector. The thing is that Iorfa is making himself (in the best way possible) unable to be dropped from the side. 

I think we should play him in a midfield three along with Hutchinson and Bannan. 

What do you reckon?  

No no no no no. Haven’t you seen him play yet? He can barely trap and pass a ball. Technically he would be way out of his depth. Let’s leave it to the manager to hopefully play him in his best position!