#OnThisDay in 1955

22 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

Derek Dooley's testimonial match and the first public match played under the floodlights at Hillsborough.   I never knew that Derek had actually swicthed the lights on for the game.  I came across this moving account of the night by the great  Everton servant Peter Farrell.  Quite emotional reading it now ! Anyone on here who was there that night who can share any memories?

290755213_Dooleya.jpeg.59e5cc23d5d95311a4e4e514416d01a9.jpegdooleyb.jpeg.1e58813e56bf5ef39b7758d7fe1cb7f2.jpeg

1709315861_DmbIfiXW4AEIDI-.jpglarge.thumb.jpeg.ff4f4403f3bb936f929ed535a951f291.jpeg

485283610_DDProg(1).thumb.jpg.b38181db433547ed6eeba964db0d5176.jpg

71688033_DD10-3-55.jpeg.054eb6d86fcca4d41c2832e49b331c29.jpegDD.jpeg.8d79c019c09e893936893ccf4549533e.jpeg

Thank you for that.

Genuinely enjoyed that and it is emotional even though it was long before I was born so I never saw him play.

• Like 1

Dooley was before my time(just!) but I’m grateful to you Dunsby for this. Along with Layne & Hirst Derek was one of our three great post war centre forwards(I always thought of Fantham as an inside forward!) & he was 100% Wednesday! The dreadful way he was treated 20 years later still jars with me. But these clippings are memories of a more innocent time!

• Like 1

Dooleys heyday was ten years before I started going but he was an absolute legend in our house.

It was back in the days when I had to wait for dad to come back from the match to find out how we’d gone on. My dad worshipped him and my first question was always How many did Dooley get?

Cheers, dunsby. Thanks, as always, for the memories

• Thanks 1

My dad was at that game.. still has the program...
My Dooley days were his time as manager... Sad to see him sacked... we were a struggling team that had dropped from the 1st and surprised it wasn't an easy ride back up again (who knew what was in store... )..

Loved the man - Wednesday really lost out on his skills in management..   Never ever bitter about him crossing the city to United.  He will always be a football legend to me...  glad that he had a bit of reconciliation with the Owls before he died...  A true Owl/Blade legend RIP 

• Like 1

When the fateful News broke 16/02/1953 generations of Owls men folk wept openly, Mothers and Grandmothers too. When the game referred to by Dunsby was played I was still a year away from my debut as a fan. But there were other events in aid of the Dooley tragedy. One of those was IMO a remarkable goal fest... Our reserves beat Barnsley 14-0 on the Saturday and just 2 days later a Dooley 11 played against an All Stars 11  with an 8-5 scoreline. So 27 goals in two consecutive matches.    

• Like 2

I think that this was the first match I went to with my Dad. I was 8 years old. I remember the ground was packed and it was the first game that the floodlights were used. I remember Derek Dooley coming on to the pitch and he actually came into the centre circle and kicked the ball with his good foot to start the game. He then went off the pitch. Derek was my dad's idol. There was a song at that time in the charts called Trudy fair (or fare)  sung by Guy Mitchell  but wednesdayites changed it to Dooley fair.

• Like 1

I was 7 years old and not allowed to go but my mum took me up the hill by Walkley school to see the floodlights.

on the night Wednesday had a kit like last seasons but made of a shiney material. It was supposed to be seen better under the lights.

After the game the kit was given to Hillsborough Boys club and was still in use when I played for them in 1964/65.

Imagine the pride of wearing the shirt of one of your heros.

• Like 2