Mass squeeze on the Kop last night.

5 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

I'm a traditional North Stander who has only moved to the Kop this season after a couple of years in the Grandstand with my kids. As such, last night was my first night on a nearly full Kop.

I couldn't believe the how tight it was behind the the Kop at half time last night. Couldn't really move at all. People were just penned in on the ramp with nowhere to move and then took 15 minutes to squeeze band on the the Kop as the second half began.

I've been at plenty of sell outs on the North and there is always enough space to at least slowly move but the Kop didn't really seem fit for it's capacity last night. Seemed close to be getting dangerous.

Unfortunately I was in work at 11pm last night so had to leave in about the 88th minute to make sure I cleared the carpark in time. I'd been cursing that situation for weeks but there was a small piece of me that was glad when I saw the state at half time.

Not the worst squeeze I've been in, a full Burnley away end is something else, but it really was pretty bad.

Brilliant wasn't it. Just like the 90's!

2 hours ago, nilsson said:

Makes you wonder how we used to get 20,000 on there in the days when it was standing.

There’s not enough bars on the kop either (or staff working on the bars). Unless you leave your seat about 10 minutes before the end of the first half, getting a beer at half time is virtually impossible 

yer it took me 20 mins to go from seat and back last night , we had 22000 on there for Liverpool,man utd,coventry games in mid 80`s no idea how we coped . 

Was VERY close to being a serious incident last night. 

It must have been raining heavily at half-time because there was a huge surge in people trying to get under cover - I was trying to make my way back to the seat but ended up being pushed backwards and for a minute or two it was impossible to move. 

Very scary stuff and there were a few kids in tears - I'm 6 foot and 185lbs and I was struggling tbh.

We all knock SAG whenever they make a seemingly overzealous decision to close sections of the ground, but I do wonder how much longer the Kop can really be deemed safe if we were to get to the PL and start getting 35k through the door. 

Like the West Stand, i'm coming round to the idea that the Kop needs flattening and starting again. 

North Stand can be just as bad but at least has room to expand the concourse further back.

19 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

It only holds roughly half as many as when we had a fully covered standing end 1986 to 93 (22k). Even when it was uncovered it held over 18k. Why has this only become a problem now?

I can't recall any problems back then, maybe more of fans want half time refreshments nowadays. 

It's all caused by the smokers and the fact there is now the kiosk at the top of the kop. It used to be a corridor for people to get from A to B but now people just hang around there especially under cover. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Not enough people use the bar at bottom of kop in the corner. It was really empty down there at HT. Plenty of room. 

When I was a lad people didn't bother going to the toilets, the bloke in fronts coat pocket was used. The Kop was all standing back then.

(1960's) seen it happen a few times.

57 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

It's all caused by the smokers and the fact there is now the kiosk at the top of the kop. It used to be a corridor for people to get from A to B but now people just hang around there especially under cover. 

Bit harsh to blame Sid and Bruce 

lol:Sid:

Guest mkowl
12 hours ago, Beholder said:

It's not fit for purpose. 

Not enough space on the concourse. 

Strangely I don't remember it being like that in the prem days. 

Probably because the smokers were able to smoke in their seats

12 hours ago, Beholder said:

It's not fit for purpose. 

Not enough space on the concourse. 

Strangely I don't remember it being like that in the prem days. 

we were in the prem and had less years of poo to grind us down back then, probably far more tollerant.

Guest mkowl
9 hours ago, brian joicey said:

if you are meaning the 1983 FA CUP quarter final then i agree, worst crush i've ever encountered - seriously worried for my safety at one point 

The terrace was down the side of the pitch. It was packed and let's just say a few (Ok about 1000) had got tickets behind the goal their end. They moved em in with us - just to make it a bit tighter.

First away game and ended up stood next to one of the deputy heads from school - No idea he was a Wednesday fan and given his fearsome rep, I was a good lad when slagging the ref off.

Guest Theboylangers

I can't believe that some are blaming the uncomfortable conditions on the smokers. Incredible. 

1 hour ago, Auckland Owl said:

What was that frigging explosion at half time all about? Bloke behind me reckons it was a microwave in one of the kiosks. 

Probably the phantom Farter 

Lost the Mrs for ages at HT . Said it was chaos and very frightening . Not been an advocate for a new ground but after last night it's something we seriously have to consider. The concourse areas on the kop were horrendous start to finish. Sounds like similar on North. And we all know that the West stand is close to being condemned.