Mass squeeze on the Kop last night.

I'm a traditional North Stander who has only moved to the Kop this season after a couple of years in the Grandstand with my kids. As such, last night was my first night on a nearly full Kop.

I couldn't believe the how tight it was behind the the Kop at half time last night. Couldn't really move at all. People were just penned in on the ramp with nowhere to move and then took 15 minutes to squeeze band on the the Kop as the second half began.

I've been at plenty of sell outs on the North and there is always enough space to at least slowly move but the Kop didn't really seem fit for it's capacity last night. Seemed close to be getting dangerous.

Unfortunately I was in work at 11pm last night so had to leave in about the 88th minute to make sure I cleared the carpark in time. I'd been cursing that situation for weeks but there was a small piece of me that was glad when I saw the state at half time.

Not the worst squeeze I've been in, a full Burnley away end is something else, but it really was pretty bad.

• Like 1

Guest addedtime

It was like it against Cardiff in the first play off season. Just gridlocked the whole way down. I sit just behind the "hole" in the kop and was looking down at it all in wonder. Saved my toilet trip until the final whistle. 

2 hours ago, addedtime said:

I sit just behind the "hole" in the kop and was looking down at it all in wonder.

Me too. Weirdest part was watching folk willingly walking down the steps right into it - very clear view of the situation about 50 yards in advance for those coming down from back of Kop, but still they all decide to join in and become part of the problem. Then watching the same people finally getting back 15min into 2nd half clutching a Kit Kat.

:duntmatter:

In seriousness though we were saying laying last night, if and when we get back to Prem, I can’t see many options but to completely tear that stand down and start over. There’s no room to expand back there as they can’t level the steep ground between the concourse and the road.

Only real option for significant concourse expansion would be some sort of overpass over Penistone Rd so you exit the ground where Wednesdayite car park is, and that’d never get approved.

Edited by Mr. Tom

2 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Me too. Weirdest part was watching walking down the steps right into it, very clear view of the situation about 50 yards in advance for those coming down from back of Kop, but still they all decide to join in and become part of the problem. Then watching the same people finally getting back 15min into 2nd half clutching a Kit Kat.

:duntmatter:

In seriousness though we were saying laying last night, if and when we get back to Prem, I can’t see many options but to completely tear that stand down and start over. There’s no room to expand back there as they can’t level the steep ground between the concourse and the road. Only real option for significant concourse expansion would be some sort of overpass over Penistone Rd so you exit the ground where Wednesdayite car park is, and that’d never get approved.

We were saying last night, can't that hill just be dug out? 

If its supporting the kop, then maybe just replace it witb a few struts. 

I'm not a civil engineer or owt, just seems logical. 

Edited by Beholder

Just now, Beholder said:

I'm not a scivil engi ever or owt, just seems logical. 

It is - the whole Kop is actually built on what essentially amounts to a pile of loose rubble, compacted only by the weight of the concrete. It’s...a bold design, i’ll give ‘em that!

WTF:

Simple answer. Reduce the size of the Kop, and hence its capacity.!  Strangely, I  walk past the side exit gates of the Kop at about 5pm on a Sat, on my way from the nearly empty South Stand, and frequently see them closing the gates because the Kop has emptied That is no later than 15 minutes after the game has finished. This happened after the 23K crowd vs Swansea. Yesterday's crowd was 31.5K. Surely all these extra seats were not on the Kop.

Having to walk with 2 sticks doesn't help, but I often find that at specific times, even the South concourse seems very crowded. The main reason, unfortunately,  is everyone trying to get served at once. Impatience is often the cause.  

2 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Not the worst squeeze I've been in, a full Burnley away end is something else, but it really was pretty bad.

if you are meaning the 1983 FA CUP quarter final then i agree, worst crush i've ever encountered - seriously worried for my safety at one point 

50 minutes ago, Beholder said:

I'm not a civil engineer or owt, just seems logical. 

I think the process you describe is basically just building a new stand. The earth is holding up the stand which is holding up the roof. Maybe some crazy engineering solution would be possible where you chip away at the earth whilst putting supports in but even if that were possible without the whole thing falling down I’m guessing it would be much more expensive than just knocking it down and starting again which is what needs to happen really.

Edited by Sonny

27 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

if you are meaning the 1983 FA CUP quarter final then i agree, worst crush i've ever encountered - seriously worried for my safety at one point 

I don't go back that far but there was a time just a few seasons back that it was insane. Dread to think what it was like in the days of bigger capacities.

You are all funnelled into a walled off area with about 4m between each wall and the bars and toilets at the far end of the funnel. And that space has to cover the entire stand  not half of it like in the Kop.

Edited by Leaping Lannys Perm

1 minute ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

I don't go back that far but there was a time just a few seasons back that it was insane. Dread to think what it was like in the days of bigger capacities.

You are all funnelled into a walled off area with about 4m between each wall and the bars and toilets at the far end of the funnel. And that space has to cover the entire stand  not half of it like in the Kop.

that's how i remember it,think we had 10,000 tickets ( but far more travelled ) they ended up moving some into a home end ! 

Makes you wonder how we used to get 20,000 on there in the days when it was standing.

There’s not enough bars on the kop either (or staff working on the bars). Unless you leave your seat about 10 minutes before the end of the first half, getting a beer at half time is virtually impossible