George Boyd

One incident on around 65 minutes summed his performance up. Palmer was taking a throw in in the final third, Boyd had a player in front of him and behind him. Palmer was looking for an outlet and Boyd just stood there between 2 players making no effort to find space so he knew Palmer wouldn't throw it towards him A complete fraud and waste of a wage.

9 hours ago, trev said:

Boyd was the only option.

It's sad to say but we had no other options who are willing to put in a shift.

Matias can but not for 45 mins...he switches off too much at vital times.

Boyd was awful though...probs has 3 or 4 touches at best.

You’re quite right trev.

Bruce is doing a brilliant job, we’re on the up, but the old Hillsborough injury curse means that the bench is very weak at the moment.

I can see why he brought him on .. but he's not a forward is he ..

needs games out wide in a 4-4-2 but we don't play that formation so he's lost really ..

Offered absolutely nothing last night and we didn't even play the ball to him at times ..

Awful substitution. Would rather have see Matias or Nunu

1 minute ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I can see why he brought him on .. but he's not a forward is he ..

needs games out wide in a 4-4-2 but we don't play that formation so he's lost really ..

Offered absolutely nothing last night and we didn't even play the ball to him at times ..

Awful substitution. Would rather have see Matias or Nunu

Yeah we may as well have had 10 men. 

I guess he pressed a bit but even then he barely won the ball. 

Guest Theboylangers

A very entertaining thread. 

:Sid:

Boyd was chasing shadows the whole of the 2nd half. I always rated him before he came to us but I've not seen him have a good game in his time here. Another one for the exit door in the summer. 

20 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Quick quick everyone we've found our next scapegoat now that it turns out we were wrong about Palmer

Which is bizzarre as he was just what we needed when he was frozen out...

Funny old game.

I have absolutely no idea what Bruce asked Boyd to do, but it surely cant have been what he delivered.

He was no better than a dog who had been sent on to chase the ball for 45 minutes.  An absolutely diabolical performance.  If we want to send someone on just to run about a bit then get one of those young lads like Preston or Baker that Jos used to chuck in the team to do that job.

Guest LittleG
12 hours ago, trask43 said:

Was a safe option from bruce and the only thing he got wrong tonight. Boyd doesnt deserve criticism he works hard its just the legs have gone. 

Matias or nuhiu would have been the better options, no ones favourite players but matias works hard enough and is capable of offering a genuine threat in behind as he doesnt run like hes towing a caravan. Personally id have gone with nuhiu, he could have played up top and fletch is more than capable of playing the link role, the game was pretty likely to be decided by a set piece and at least nuhiu offers something in both boxes.

The game last night would have been too intense for Matias, the game would have passed him by. As for Nuihu, he offers nothing in either box, for a giant he hardly ever wins a header.

I think @2roland2 was right in this thread at the start, railing against slagging one of our own especially when we're on the up. Some just have to have a scapegoat even when it's not really called for. At this time Boyd is what we have and Bruce stuck him in. The game wasn't a total disaster was it? At least there is some optimism now for next season. 

I thought he was a good signing at the time but for whatever reason he has done very little for us.  He never seems to get into the game, his lack of pace now being apparent which for the Championship is no good, think he is League One at best and maybe will end up there.

he's more suited to a team that likes to build up slowly where he doesn't have to use his pace. Never suited to a counter-attacking game as we played in the 2nd half.

Can run all day mind and puts the effort in unlike some of our so-called better players.

2 hours ago, agentwalker said:

he's more suited to a team that likes to build up slowly where he doesn't have to use his pace. Never suited to a counter-attacking game as we played in the 2nd half.

Can run all day mind and puts the effort in unlike some of our so-called better players.

If that was my top speed then I’m pretty sure I could run all day. The pace is more of a fast walk but slower.

5 hours ago, LittleG said:

The game last night would have been too intense for Matias, the game would have passed him by.

It certainly passed Boyd by, so surely better to 'take a risk' on Matias.

To me it was an utterly bewildering substitution. Fair enough if Nando had to go off, but Boyd? He doesn't have the pace to be effective in closing down or when making counterattacks. Matias does. So why pick Boyd?

Or go for Nuhiu, who can close down as well as Boyd can, might win 1 in 10 balls forward (better than Boyd's 0), and would be an asset defending our own box, given how many set pieces we were giving away.

I just don't know what Bruce was trying to do by putting Boyd on, it certainly didn't have any positive effect that I saw.