• Hector
    • Reach
    • Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Forestieri
    • Arrons
    • Boyd
    • Nuhiu

Palmer for me. Didn't really put a foot wrong. Hutch was a close second with his passion and work rate. Hector would have had it were it not for his panicked hoofing that started to grate on me. He didn't look as composed as he usually is. 

That said, a good gritty performance with some proper tackles going in. We stopped them playing their normal game.

1 hour ago, soldierowl said:

Don't understand why Boyd is always the whipping boy.  FF played a central role and it was way too congested (and he was supplying nothing) there with the Blunts 3 centre backs.  When Boyd came on he worked both flanks and dragged the centre backs out with him, creating space for Fletcher and the non existent (except for Hutchinson) runners from midfield (how we miss Lee).  Not all good football is played with the ball.  

I agree, I thought he did his job when he came on

He's not the player he once was, he's just a runner now

But he kept closing down spaces

He has bags of energy, and defended well from the front

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

3 hours ago, soldierowl said:

Don't understand why Boyd is always the whipping boy.  FF played a central role and it was way too congested (and he was supplying nothing) there with the Blunts 3 centre backs.  When Boyd came on he worked both flanks and dragged the centre backs out with him, creating space for Fletcher and the non existent (except for Hutchinson) runners from midfield (how we miss Lee).  Not all good football is played with the ball.  

I think we could have won the game if FF stayed on personally. For all his running, Boyd is pretty dreadful on the ball. We were noticeably deeper in the 2nd half and United had a lot more of the ball. Partly due to our link man not having the ability to look after it and make something happen.

Voted for Hector. Palmer and Hutch were also excellent.

Hard to not agree that the defences were on top, but our offensive players put a shift in defending from the front as well. They did their jobs last night - it looked like the plan was always to keep it tight and see if we could nick one.

Easily Tom Lees for me, followed by Palmer. 

Shame Nando went off as he was looking lively!

Unfortunately for us if we were to win the game we needed big performances from Bannan, Fletcher & Reach but sadly we didn’t get them.

I thought that Tom Lees, Hector, Palmer and Fletcher all had a great game last night, with Hutch not far behind them. Hector always looks more eye catching and unmistakable, but handled Madine almost as often as Fletcher got handled at the other end.

I chose Tom Lees, just above the other three as my man of the match.

I personally thought that Tom made far less mistakes, looked a lot calmer and more controlled than Hector while keeping Billy the pig, (the Pork bellied pig) in his pocket and hardly letting him have a sniff (or snuffle) all match. From what I saw, Tom also looked up well and made much more composed clearances of the ball, whereas Hector scuffed loads of his clearances, rarely got a lot of distance on his kicked clearances (with us then struggling to get the ball away several times) and he actually got the ball away from the danger area much better with his head.

My second choice was Palmer, because again, he efficiently dealt with the people he was up against, while still having the calmness to look up and move the ball around well, putting us back on the front foot with either a good run and pass, cross or long ball out to the wings or strikers.

I then had Hector and Fletcher in joint third spot, just above Hutch. I thought Hector had a very good game neutralising Madine, although he did lose him a couple of times, one of which nearly led to a goal and did give away several needless free kicks.

Fletcher was hauled and held pretty much every time the ball came anywhere near him, but he did battle hard and made space available for others, held the ball up and laid it off for his strike partner well, although his main strike partner, Forestieri did not seem to be close enough, fast enough, or on the same wave length, although he still put a lot of effort in. (Boyd just made up the numbers when he came on, but the prospect of either him or Mathias with Fletcher did not really excite anybody, did it?). I felt that Nuhiu and Fletcher up front together for a while would have ruffled united more than Fletcher and Forestieri, or Fletcher and Nuhiu, but only because in retrospect, Forestieri does not look anything like being fully fit for a while.

One chance each in the end could have made a difference, but I thought united showed very little of their usual swagger last night and sat back too much for a team that are supposedly after an automatic spot. Surely if they are true contenders they should be putting away mid table teams like ours and out of the two teams Wednesday should feel the slightly happier of the two, although with two fit strikers on the pitch we may have been able to get the three points that we also desperately need, if we are to climb into the top six.

UTO!

Eyup Snoots sir, who the heck are the scrubbers? I always thought that was another name for durteh l**ds!

Forgive me for seeming churlish, but the pigs have always been known to Wednesdayites as either United, or the pigs, since my great grandad was a lad and never in my memory as the scrubbers (although they fit the bill).

I reckon the announcement made to Wednesdayites last night, was made in a highbrow BBC type accent from decades ago ,specifically so that the pig fans could not decipher it. Worked a bally treat what!

• Like 1

Palmer was clear MOM for me - Playing out of position for a large part of the game against a side who pride themselves on getting down the flanks and he was the only player who showed any consistent level of composure on the ball.  He’s been a revelation in the last month or so.  Hector hoofed too many panic kicks very unlike his normal self - steady defence though.  Boyd - my mum always said if you have nothing good to say don’t say anything ......................................

3 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Eyup Snoots sir, who the heck are the scrubbers? I always thought that was another name for durteh l**ds!

Forgive me for seeming churlish, but the pigs have always been known to Wednesdayites as either United, or the pigs, since my great grandad was a lad and never in my memory as the scrubbers (although they fit the bill).

I reckon the announcement made to Wednesdayites last night, was made in a highbrow BBC type accent from decades ago ,specifically so that the pig fans could not decipher it. Worked a bally treat what!

They are indeed pigs.

But one look at their team line up last night was like looking at one of those "Whose been banged up in yorkshire this month" features in The Star.

The pockmarked  souless faces of the dead-eyed, broken nosed, unkempt scrubbers. It would be easy for any editor to mix up the two photos.

So I thought. What the hell. They can have another well earned moniker.

• Haha 1

I would go for Palmer as they targeted him and Arrons down the left and they stood up well.

Wouldn’t criticise any of our players.

Because they played down our left it was difficult for Reach and Iorfa to affect the game .

Reach kept Enda Stevens quiet , and he is one of their key players. 

Stop their wing backs getting forward and there is no space for their centre backs to overlap.

It was a big game for Iorfa given his lack of football for the last 2 years. Lacked confidence but the only time he got forward he flew past their player. Reckon Bruce will turn him into a player for us.

23 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Palmer and Hector. 

But I'm going for Palmer because he has had to start out of position in the wrong flank.

Terrific attitude to match the performance. 

Stood up to the scrubber antics without biting either.

Superb

It's absolutely amazing that over the last three years when we've struggled to find a reliable left back that it takes Steve Bruce to come up with the idea that a right back can cover at left back!?!  And then finally Palmer puts in an MOM performance there. He even had the balls to try a pot shot from thirty yards out. And on top of that he'd struggled to hold down a place at right back in recent seasons. 

Well done Liam Palmer. 

50 minutes ago, Brando17 said:

sometimes bud your wasting your time 5 votes for Nuhui,? couldn't get mom in a 1 a side

I learnt early doors when I once accidentally named Fernando in the poll.. he was out injured  and still came about 4th.