Our Lowest Ebb? c1973-76

That first game for Phil Henson was Blackpool at home and the Save Our Owls campaign helped boost the attendance by a couple of thousand, but as Fred says it quickly became apparent we were beyond saving and the campaign died within two or three games.

• Thanks 1

I got interviewed by Radio Sheffield coming out of one of the matches (not the Blackpool home game but one after) was asked what would it take to save the team and said "half a million quid to spend on decent players". Reporter just laughed at me!

• Thanks 1

Remember coming home that night in April 1976 when we beat Southend 2-1 to just escape relegation to the old fourth division. Elated at the great escape but gutted at what we had become in those dark days. Just the same in 1970 when we lost at home to Man City and we were relegated to division two. Of the hundreds of games those two stick with me as does the 1966 Cup Final. 

As Wednesday fans,I suppose like fans of other clubs, we all have memories that relate to where we were in life at certain times of our football history.

• Thanks 1

One game that sticks in my mind from the downward spiral,was the game at home to Oldham,it came the week after weed took apart top of the table Man U,and lead 4-1 in front of by those days standard a huge crowd of 35K,Id hoped the man u game would be the turning point and wed go on and nail oldham infront of a half decent crowd,maybe 20k ish.

The reality was stark,we played crap,as usual,the crowd was just over 13k and we needed a Bobby Brown goal to salvage a point,looking around at the empty ground after the previous weeks game was a massive reality check for me,It was probably the day I knew wed got further to slide.In fact,even though it was only december,wed score just FOUR more goals for the rest of the season.

Id been at oldham for the seasons opener,full of hope and ambition for the season ahead,playing the newley promoted side gave me hope for a cracking opening to the season,alas,the first thing that struck me in the early stages was how quickly and purpously Oldham moved the ball,they swarmed allover us,in waves,we lost 1-2,but it could have been worse.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, legendaryswan said:

One game that sticks in my mind from the downward spiral,was the game at home to Oldham,it came the week after weed took apart top of the table Man U,and lead 4-1 in front of by those days standard a huge crowd of 35K,Id hoped the man u game would be the turning point and wed go on and nail oldham infront of a half decent crowd,maybe 20k ish.

The reality was stark,we played crap,as usual,the crowd was just over 13k and we needed a Bobby Brown goal to salvage a point,looking around at the empty ground after the previous weeks game was a massive reality check for me,It was probably the day I knew wed got further to slide.In fact,even though it was only december,wed score just FOUR more goals for the rest of the season.

Id been at oldham for the seasons opener,full of hope and ambition for the season ahead,playing the newley promoted side gave me hope for a cracking opening to the season,alas,the first thing that struck me in the early stages was how quickly and purpously Oldham moved the ball,they swarmed allover us,in waves,we lost 1-2,but it could have been worse.

the Oldham game was tommy craig's last game and with  him leaving we went from a team fighting relegation to one that was doomed …….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, REDOWL said:

Remember coming home that night in April 1976 when we beat Southend 2-1 to just escape relegation to the old fourth division. Elated at the great escape but gutted at what we had become in those dark days. Just the same in 1970 when we lost at home to Man City and we were relegated to division two. Of the hundreds of games those two stick with me as does the 1966 Cup Final. 

As Wednesday fans,I suppose like fans of other clubs, we all have memories that relate to where we were in life at certain times of our football history.

I'll never be able to get out my head the sight of Gerry Young missing his clearance or Chris Woods playing pat-a-cake in the 66 and 93 finals.

In each case you'd have bet your house on them clearing them as they had done hundreds of times before but no this is Wednesday!

So it was for much of the 70's, you just knew that what could go wrong would go wrong and it did. SO the attitude had to be good times are just around the corner. Well I tell you what, we must all have been around Brands Hatch about 50 times before we finally turned that particular corner!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

the Oldham game was tommy craig's last game and with  him leaving we went from a team fighting relegation to one that was doomed …….

Especially as it coincided with failing to extend Eric McMordie's loan. He played 8 or 9 games and still finished our leading scorer, with 6 goals and he wasn't even a striker!

Mind you that one v York at home was a bit special!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Especially as it coincided with failing to extend Eric McMordie's loan. He played 8 or 9 games and still finished our leading scorer, with 6 goals and he wasn't even a striker!

Mind you that one v York at home was a bit special!

Eric McMordie's goal is here.  One of only a handfulof games I can find on YouTube.  This goal is a cracker :)

On 01/05/2019 at 16:07, fredmciverslovechild said:

I started going with my dad about three years before then; distinctly remember the home game with Leyton Orient (56 years ago this Saturday!) but don't know if that was my first or not.

My dad was certain, at the start of the 1965/66 season, that we were going to go to Wembley so we got season tickets from then in the North with my uncle. We actually went to all the cup games that year.

Nothing to do with the seventies but my dad took me to my first game at Wednesday. It was March 9th 1963 and we hammered Manchester City 4-1. “Bronco” Lane got a hat trick that afternoon and he later really hacked me off involving himself in the betting scandal. 

As I said not 70’s just memories.

5 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Eric McMordie's goal is here.  One of only a handfulof games I can find on YouTube.  This goal is a cracker :)

You should have been stood on the Kop right behind it! It was even better!

Sad thing is that Eric Potts goal (the 3rd) is missing and as I recall it was a diving header after a long sweeping move similar to the first goal. That was our best victory of the season and all three goals were crackers.

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

You should have been stood on the Kop right behind it! It was even better!

Sad thing is that Eric Potts goal (the 3rd) is missing and as I recall it was a diving header after a long sweeping move similar to the first goal. That was our best victory of the season and all three goals were crackers.

The clip also misses the male streaker who, if I remember rightly, it was subsequently discovered had some sort of mental issues.

Nothing to do, though, with watching Wednesday. Apparently.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

The clip also misses the male streaker who, if I remember rightly, it was subsequently discovered had some sort of mental issues.

Remember him too and Keith Macklin's comment:

"Oh and there's a streaker on the pitch"

He was about 45 - 50 curly hair (on top) and specs, not in the best of shape either IIRC!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

There is a picture of that - but given the guy's apparent mental health issues, it would seem a bit mean to put it up. 

8 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Still plugging away at this. Not my picture, though apparently from 1978. Does anyone have any memories of the club shop in the dark days? 

post-14-1216696524.jpg

Absolutely, I spent a small fortune in there! Also there was an extremely attractive assistant in there that I fancied something rotten but never dared to ask her for a date! I would have been about 18 or 19 and reckon she was similar age.

19 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Absolutely, I spent a small fortune in there! Also there was an extremely attractive assistant in there that I fancied something rotten but never dared to ask her for a date! I would have been about 18 or 19 and reckon she was similar age.

The programme occasionally featured pictures of the staff  It was acceptable in the 19 70s I suppose. Anyhow, was the object of your affection this young lady?

20190520_192543-1-1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

The programme occasionally featured pictures of the staff  It was acceptable in the 19 70s I suppose. Anyhow, was the object of your affection this young lady?

20190520_192543-1-1.jpg

I do believe it was! sid

• Like 1