Our Lowest Ebb? c1973-76

3 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

I'm loving these stories! Currently neatly 30,000 words into writing up the project. I'm doing the easy stuff first - games, management, key players etc.  

Over the summer I'm going to write up the fans' experiences and I think away days will have a chapter all to themselves :)

Away days was what it really was all about back then.

That whole period.....crap team but fantastic memories. 

Actually, what with Wednesday, London and the music scene would love it to be 1976 to 1980 all over again.

It seemed logical to stop in 1976 after the Southend game - literally the 'lowest ebb' - clubs lowest ever league position from which the only way was up. 

Reading some of this, it might be worth me moving on a year or so. Some more great stories,  and as you show above - we were srill crap!

57 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

It seemed logical to stop in 1976 after the Southend game - literally the 'lowest ebb' - clubs lowest ever league position from which the only way was up. 

Reading some of this, it might be worth me moving on a year or so. Some more great stories,  and as you show above - we were srill crap!

2002/03 was a wiered season; We only lost one of our first 10 games of the season and only lost one of our last 9 games of the season. Yet, we were relegated 4 points adrift of safety. Our last away game was a 7-2 victory at Turf Moor and in between times consigned Coventry to a  5-1 defeat at Hillsborough. So twenty games there with only the two defeats, only Wednesday could manufacture relegation out of stats such as that.

Just as a footnote, with crowds topical, our last four games of a dreary season still saw us averaging 20,000.     

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

2002/03 was a wiered season; We only lost one of our first 10 games of the season and only lost one of our last 9 games of the season. Yet, we were relegated 4 points adrift of safety. Our last away game was a 7-2 victory at Turf Moor and in between times consigned Coventry to a  5-1 defeat at Hillsborough. So twenty games there with only the two defeats, only Wednesday could manufacture relegation out of stats such as that.

Just as a footnote, with crowds topical, our last four games of a dreary season still saw us averaging 20,000.     

Another stat.....from 1965/66 to 1978/79 inclusive (14 seasons) we only had one season (1976/77) when we actually had a finish above tenth in any division.

All these bloody glory hunters these days.....

By the way. I started with a season ticket in 1965/66....

Edited by fredmciverslovechild
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Another stat.....from 1965/66 to 1978/79 inclusive (14 seasons) we only had one season (1976/77) when we actually had a finish above tenth in any division.

All these bloody glory hunters these days.....

By the way. I started with a season ticket in 1965/66....

Superb timing, fell on a guaranteed Wembley ticket just right. Me my father, uncle and cousin went into ballot mine was last to arrive with a few days to spare. Ticket details B20. 

3 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Superb timing, fell on a guaranteed Wembley ticket just right. Me my father, uncle and cousin went into ballot mine was last to arrive with a few days to spare. Ticket details B20. 

I started going with my dad about three years before then; distinctly remember the home game with Leyton Orient (56 years ago this Saturday!) but don't know if that was my first or not.

My dad was certain, at the start of the 1965/66 season, that we were going to go to Wembley so we got season tickets from then in the North with my uncle. We actually went to all the cup games that year.

• Like 2

Just found this again. It’s the  curse of not straying from Matchday Thread.

Im totally in awe of you guys for remembering this stuff in such fine detail.

Utah, Fred and Nev take a bow.

Magical memories of the strangest of times in our history. It’s all just a blur to me apart from odd snippets from matches.

The comeraderie and good humour that saw us through it all is the thing that I still remember the most.

• Like 1

I'm also hugely impressed by the stories and knowledge that people have. I'll have enough material for a book - and will try my best to do it all justice. Aim will be to reclaim the era - yes the team struggled, but that doesn't mean that there aren't goodoing things to remember about it all  

I reckon that between a dozen or so of us we could probably recall something from most of the games during that period and especially the away games.

• Like 1

Don’t forget the Ozzy Owl Club which was near the main road at the end of the car park.

Yard of ale contest which same bloke won every time downing it in a few seconds. Then there was the comedian and the stripper (yes it really is true) and then thrown out on to a kop with no roof on.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

Don’t forget the Ozzy Owl Club which was near the main road at the end of the car park.

Yard of ale contest which same bloke won every time downing it in a few seconds. Then there was the comedian and the stripper (yes it really is true) and then thrown out on to a kop with no roof on.

Seems like Ozzie had a proper empire going on at the time :)

20190509_194447-1.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Seems like Ozzie had a proper empire going on at the time :)

20190509_194447-1.jpg

Hello mate,it just wouldn’t be appropriate today I suppose. Used to go in for a drink every home game and the place was packed. Can’t remember the blokes name with the yard of ale but he just stood with his back arched and it went down in seconds. Some good local comedians graced the stage,which if I recall correctly was in the bottom right hand corner. Happy days but certainly not for the football but so what....WAWAW.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

Hello mate,it just wouldn’t be appropriate today I suppose. Used to go in for a drink every home game and the place was packed. Can’t remember the blokes name with the yard of ale but he just stood with his back arched and it went down in seconds. Some good local comedians graced the stage,which if I recall correctly was in the bottom right hand corner. Happy days but certainly not for the football but so what....WAWAW.

Cheers @REDOWL I've put a note out on Twitter and will on Facebook as well asking what people remember. In a way, it's these stories I'm after - it's what you remember as much as the team/games/players etc. So thank you :)

1 hour ago, REDOWL said:

jibber Johnson …...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, torryowl said:

jibber Johnson …...

One of the comedians was a bloke called Astor/Aster, his catchphrase was ‘ kinnel.  Obviously a shortened version of ....well the obvious I suppose. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

More negatively... I'd love to hear any memories, or see any memorabilia that people might have on the Save Our Owls campaign in the Star.  Picture below is the only one I have :(

save our star.jpg

Remember the Save Our Owls campaign only too well. Our football was embarrassing enough but that really took it to another level.

Pretty sure it was launched for the away game at York City on a Friday night; last day of January 1975. There was a guy from The Star taking pictures of the Wednesday fans behind the goal; I'm sure someone will be able to link to the pictures somewhere. But we were terrible that night and lost 3-0. For the next game we had Phil Henson, our new star signing from Man City, in the side and actually he was a bit better than what we'd seen thus far that season but he soon descended to the abject mediocrity of the rest. And after a couple of weeks when it had become clear that we couldn't even score a goal let alone win a game the campaign was quietly dropped. 

Really brings me out in a cold sweat when I think of that season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Remember the Save Our Owls campaign only too well. Our football was embarrassing enough but that really took it to another level.

Pretty sure it was launched for the away game at York City on a Friday night; last day of January 1975. There was a guy from The Star taking pictures of the Wednesday fans behind the goal; I'm sure someone will be able to link to the pictures somewhere. But we were terrible that night and lost 3-0. For the next game we had Phil Henson, our new star signing from Man City, in the side and actually he was a bit better than what we'd seen thus far that season but he soon descended to the abject mediocrity of the rest. And after a couple of weeks when it had become clear that we couldn't even score a goal let alone win a game the campaign was quietly dropped. 

Really brings me out in a cold sweat when I think of that season.

I'm going to head up to Sheffield Archives over the next few weeks and have a look through what they've got for the Star at the time.  It was that York game. Going into the looong period without a goal. 

So, I can understand the cold sweat! Heard a story or two of good times in York with lots of Owls though.