Our Lowest Ebb? c1973-76

Hello all,

I just wanted to float an idea... I'm starting a research project soon - possibly for a Masters in Sports History, or possibly just for my own/anyone else's interest :)

I'm thinking about looking at what is often seen as a dark period in our history: c1973-76. A time that includes relegation,  last minute escapes, prolonged periods of no goals, 8 goal defeats etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has any memories of that era. Interesting stories. Memorable games. Experiences good or bad. Photo's. 

I'm interested really in what it was like to support our great club in the hardest of times.

Cheers and UTO

it was a strange period starting with anger at the beginning with how badly  the club was run but as performances got worse and the club declined into the financial mire what few supporters who stuck with them  seemed to pull together and I look back fondly on the mid 70s …...whenever we hit a sticky patch and some seem to want to slit there wrists most who witnessed the 70s seem to just take in there stride coz nothing can compere to how it was in the 74-75 season 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, torryowl said:

it was a strange period starting with anger at the beginning with how badly  the club was run but as performances got worse and the club declined into the financial mire what few supporters who stuck with them  seemed to pull together and I look back fondly on the mid 70s …...whenever we hit a sticky patch and some seem to want to slit there wrists most who witnessed the 70s seem to just take in there stride coz nothing can compere to how it was in the 74-75 season 

Thank you - I think it's the fond memories that most interest me. How can it be that our worst ever period is remembered with fondness by many who were there? I'm too young - starting going in the early 80s. Interested to hear the views of those who were there 10 years earlier :)

think because we were so crap the fans got behind the team , last game of the season in 75 away at hull despite scoring only 2 goals since Christmas we took over a 1000 and ken knighton led the players over to the fans before the start to applaud the support and we returned the compliment big time , didn't do us any good though they still played crap and we lost 1-0 as per   …...2 years down the line we hadn't won away for 18 months and took 2000 down to reading and the joy at the end when finally got the victory was celebrated like we'd won the cup . …..for 3 years defeat was so ingrained in us that it didn't really hurt and when we did get the odd victory it really was party time ……… it really was an amazing time mainly because of the fans .we'd rock up at Colchester ,Aldershot Cambridge etc etc  in our thousands get turned over and not once blame or boo the players . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Hello all,

I just wanted to float an idea... I'm starting a research project soon - possibly for a Masters in Sports History, or possibly just for my own/anyone else's interest :)

I'm thinking about looking at what is often seen as a dark period in our history: c1973-76. A time that includes relegation,  last minute escapes, prolonged periods of no goals, 8 goal defeats etc.

I'm wondering if anyone has any memories of that era. Interesting stories. Memorable games. Experiences good or bad. Photo's. 

I'm interested really in what it was like to support our great club in the hardest of times.

Cheers and UTO

1973 - It was more or less at the beginning of my regular match attending home and away, as a 13 year old. Went to that Middlesbrough game 8-0 when Charlton was their manager and they were going up.Wednesday had 2 or 3 GOOD goals disallowed and a clear penalty or two, I remember. Still got the programme somewhere, think it was 1974 and would've been April or May, I suppose? It might have been an evening kick off from memory?,but whatever time of day it was, Wednesday still had 1'000 or 2'000 fans there. Borough were a good team, then, though.

As Torry Owl says, it was like that at away games, whatever small town or City Owls had to play in when they were in Division 3.

This was about the time THE LIMAVADY OWLS were born,Mr Hugh Green hailed from Grenoside and was a teacher at Limavady high school,he was an avid Wednesdayite and the kids all adored his gentleness and calm method of teaching,however,they noticed he was always sad and grumpy every monday morning and wondered why,so one brave boy found it in him to ask 'Sir' what was wrong,when Hugh confided in the group that his sadness was caused by another defeat for his beloved Owls the kids got together and wrote a letter to the club begging them to try harder so as to rid 'Sir' of his malaise,The club wrote back and assured the kids that all the players had read their letter and would try to turn things around,and so a supporters club was formed in NI,one in which i was lucky and honoured to be part of.We would make an annual pilgrimage to Sheffield and were treated wonderfully by the club,at it's height,we would have brought over 80 kids to Hillsborough and wanted for nothing,happy memories from a dark period tho!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, belfast owl lad said:

This was about the time THE LIMAVADY OWLS were born,Mr Hugh Green hailed from Grenoside and was a teacher at Limavady high school,he was an avid Wednesdayite and the kids all adored his gentleness and calm method of teaching,however,they noticed he was always sad and grumpy every monday morning and wondered why,so one brave boy found it in him to ask 'Sir' what was wrong,when Hugh confided in the group that his sadness was caused by another defeat for his beloved Owls the kids got together and wrote a letter to the club begging them to try harder so as to rid 'Sir' of his malaise,The club wrote back and assured the kids that all the players had read their letter and would try to turn things around,and so a supporters club was formed in NI,one in which i was lucky and honoured to be part of.We would make an annual pilgrimage to Sheffield and were treated wonderfully by the club,at it's height,we would have brought over 80 kids to Hillsborough and wanted for nothing,happy memories from a dark period tho!

What a fantastic story :)

10 hours ago, belfast owl lad said:

I remember when they came over but never knew why we had a supporters club in Ireland... 

“Our Lowest Ebb – Sheffield Wednesday 1973-76”

Thank you for considering my questionnaire. There are 10 questions in the survey, and I estimate it would take around 30 minutes to complete (although depending on how much detail you give it could take less time, or longer). I am very grateful for any time you give over to it.

To give some context, my name is John Dyson and I have been a Sheffield Wednesday fan for as long as I can remember. I attended my first game in 1983 and am currently a season ticket holder in the Grandstand where I attend games with my two sons aged 8 and 10. I live in Solihull, West Midlands where, since 2013, I have helped organise the West Midlands Owls supporters club. My day job is as Head of History in a secondary school. I have a degree from the University of Birmingham in Economic and Social History and am qualified to Masters level in research methods.

Two of my main interests in life therefore combine in this study. I am interested in what was no doubt a difficult time to be an Owls fan. As a social historian I am interested in the views of the fans – what it was like for those who were there.  I am interested in how that compares to the broader history of the club at the time (management, players, results) and what links there might be with the history of South Yorkshire in the period (employment, politics).

Initially this research will be for my own interest, but I will write up my findings and look to see if there is interest in publishing any of them – either on the internet or in print. I will not name anyone without their permission and will keep anyone who gives me their details informed of anything that is published. Any data I do collect is for these purposes only and I will not share personal details with any third parties.

I will also be using other sources of information (newspapers, books, programmes, websites, interviews). I will follow this questionnaire with focus group(s) – and would be delighted to communicate further with anyone who would like to do so.

Again, thanks for your support and Up the Owls!

John Dyson

westmidlandsowls@aol.co.uk

March 2019

Edited by Bearwood Owl1

3 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

“Our Lowest Ebb – Sheffield Wednesday 1973-76”

Thank you for considering my questionnaire. There are 10 questions in the survey, and I estimate it would take around 30 minutes to complete (although depending on how much detail you give it could take less time, or longer). I am very grateful for any time you give over to it.

To give some context, my name is John Dyson and I have been a Sheffield Wednesday fan for as long as I can remember. I attended my first game in 1983 and am currently a season ticket holder in the Grandstand where I attend games with my two sons aged 8 and 10. I live in Solihull, West Midlands where, since 2013, I have helped organise the West Midlands Owls supporters club. My day job is as Head of History in a secondary school. I have a degree from the University of Birmingham in Economic and Social History and am qualified to Masters level in research methods.

Two of my main interests in life therefore combine in this study. I am interested in what was no doubt a difficult time to be an Owls fan. As a social historian I am interested in the views of the fans – what it was like for those who were there.  I am interested in how that compares to the broader history of the club at the time (management, players, results) and what links there might be with the history of South Yorkshire in the period (employment, politics).

Initially this research will be for my own interest, but I will write up my findings and look to see if there is interest in publishing any of them – either on the internet or in print. I will not name anyone without their permission and will keep anyone who gives me their details informed of anything that is published. Any data I do collect is for these purposes only and I will not share personal details with any third parties.

I will also be using other sources of information (newspapers, books, programmes, websites, interviews). I will follow this questionnaire with focus group(s) – and would be delighted to communicate further with anyone who would like to do so.

Again, thanks for your support and Up the Owls!

John Dyson

westmidlandsowls@aol.co.uk

March 2019

Hi all, there's the justification to what I'm up to. I'd really apppreciate it , if any fans who remember the period could have a look at the survey that's available here:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CMNK95S

Any time that anyone spends filling it in is hugely appreciated. 

@firth park owl @torryowl @belfast owl lad

Edited by Bearwood Owl1

On 15/03/2019 at 13:18, Bearwood Owl1 said:

I've had 30+ completed surveys so fare.  Really interesting stuff. Plenty of room for more though. If the 70s was your era, please consider filling it in. 

Will do I'll try to get it done later this week. Incidentally your father isn't Patrick by any chance?

• Like 1

On 03/03/2019 at 20:18, FirthParkOwl said:

1973 - It was more or less at the beginning of my regular match attending home and away, as a 13 year old. Went to that Middlesbrough game 8-0 when Charlton was their manager and they were going up.Wednesday had 2 or 3 GOOD goals disallowed and a clear penalty or two, I remember. Still got the programme somewhere, think it was 1974 and would've been April or May, I suppose? It might have been an evening kick off from memory?,but whatever time of day it was, Wednesday still had 1'000 or 2'000 fans there. Borough were a good team, then, though.

As Torry Owl says, it was like that at away games, whatever small town or City Owls had to play in when they were in Division 3.

It was my first ever proper away match (BDTBL doesn't count) so I remember it well (cue Maurice Chevalier). Don't recall us taking nearly as many fans as you suggest, 800-1,000 would be more like it. We were truly awful that day, as the saying goes we were lucky to get nil! Remember that we left at 6-0 (just as the 7th was going in) only to find out that they'd changed the pick up point and we nearly missed the ride home!

To add insult to injury ran into 3 Boro fans whilst looking for coaches who set about us. Quite the baptism of fire. My friend with me that day was John Pashley who later joined the Paras and was killed in the final stages of the Falklands at age 21. R.I.P. John.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

It was my first ever proper away match (BDTBL doesn't count) so I remember it well (cue Maurice Chevalier). Don't recall us taking nearly as many fans as you suggest, 800-1,000 would be more like it. We were truly awful that day, as the saying goes we were lucky to get nil! Remember that we left at 6-0 (just as the 7th was going in) only to find out that they'd changed the pick up point and we nearly missed the ride home!

To add insult to injury ran into 3 Boro fans whilst looking for coaches who set about us. Quite the baptism of fire. My friend with me that day was John Pashley who later joined the Paras and was killed in the final stages of the Falklands at age 21. R.I.P. John.

Memories fade it was a 3pm KO on a Saturday afternoon (Whoa). Firth Park a little excited. However. we could have lead 3-0 very early on; There was a disallowed goal and Joicey I believe hit the woodwork twice. But that was it Souness ran and controlled the game from there on ! I stayed to the end but was still in the Walkley Cottage for a little after 6-40.     

13 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Memories fade it was a 3pm KO on a Saturday afternoon (Whoa). Firth Park a little excited. However. we could have lead 3-0 very early on; There was a disallowed goal and Joicey I believe hit the woodwork twice. But that was it Souness ran and controlled the game from there on ! I stayed to the end but was still in the Walkley Cottage for a little after 6-40.     

You must have driven like a bat out of hell! Our coach didn't leave until nearly 6pm!

Strangely enough my grandfather lived in Middlesborough (at that point had never visited him) but discovered a few years later his house was only about 1/4  of a mile from where I got smacked!

Edited by Utah Owl

4 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

You must have driven like a bat out of hell! Our coach didn't leave until nearly 6pm!

Strangely enough my grandfather lived in Middlesborough (at that point had never visited him) but discovered a few years later his house was only about 1/4  of a mile from where I got smacked!

3000 GTXLR Capri that was the last time I did the ton. I dare not look at the speedo but Steve Almond said I touched 115 out of the 120 on the clock. A thought struck me as we went past an over pass, flew past 8 or so concrete support pillars and suddenly thought ...What if a tyre popped. I eased off immediately and never done the ton since.

10 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

3000 GTXLR Capri that was the last time I did the ton. I dare not look at the speedo but Steve Almond said I touched 115 out of the 120 on the clock. A thought struck me as we went past an over pass, flew past 8 or so concrete support pillars and suddenly thought ...What if a tyre popped. I eased off immediately and never done the ton since.

There were two cars I dreamed of owning at the time (I was only 14, nearly 15). One was yours, the other was a Mustang.

Had a similar experience in Germany on my Honda Blackbird in '99. There was a group of us and at times it got ridiculously fast. Saw just over 150 on the clock  on one day and decided that was way, way too fast for me. Others in the group pushed it much harder though.